• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Max Towing within 1/2 ton Pickup Gas Trucks

ansupal

Reaction score
Hello All,
New to the forum, have a question while researching for a gas pickup truck for family and also great on towing when needed. Yes 1/2 ton Crew cab so all can fit in when needed and also not so high up so easy in and out better than most of the 3/4 tons available in the market. Within year 2015-2021 most of the models on paper shows we can have over 9k of towing but when I see the true specs generally they are between 7-7.5k of payload for a 8 cylinder engine with 3.7+ axle ratio.
Can anyone help me decide of a great combination? Looking for a lightly used because of my limited usage.
Best, Ansuman.

That brings up the question of what you want to pull and how far? 1/2 ton may do it on paper, but it might not be much fun when the day is done.

Hello 7mopar, we will be towing a travel trailer between 4.5k to 5.5k lb fully loaded and yes I do have concern on how safe it will be while towing over 300 miles a day cross country. The only reason I am still considering is because of ease of in and out ability. I do understand 3/4 ton will be better choice but before completely ruling out.
Also in general 1/2 tons have a softer ride than 3/4 with standard suspension.

With the softer ride, the 1/2 ton tends to get pushed around more while towing especially during windy conditions. Most 1/2 tons have passenger tires vs 3/4 ton with LT tires that depending on the load range have more ply's and are stiffer.

Hello 7mopar, we will be towing a travel trailer between 4.5k to 5.5k lb fully loaded and yes I do have concern on how safe it will be while towing over 300 miles a day cross country. The only reason I am still considering is because of ease of in and out ability. I do understand 3/4 ton will be better choice but before completely ruling out.
Also in general 1/2 tons have a softer ride than 3/4 with standard suspension.
I don't think the 5.5k realm would be out of range for a V8 powered 1/2 ton with the proper hitch and tow package. I would try for a factory tow package over just an aftermarket brake controller. Things like external trans coolers and letting the computer know yes there is a trailer back there will help with the survival of the truck. Also don't go stupid on the aftermarket wheels and tires. If possible, find some LT tires.

Thank you 7mopar & 65 sporty for your your suggestion, to me 3/4 ton be my last option as I am trying to convince my better half that bigger is now always better. My coworker has a 32ft travel trailer and with 3/4 ton with upgraded tow package barely makes it okay on highway with bit of climb. We are trying to stay within 25-26ft Travel trailer with not so high ceiling.

We pull a 33 foot 9K with a 3/4 ton. We also don't go over 300 miles a day if not needed. I have no problem doing 35 mph getting over a mountain as we will not be the only ones in the truck lane at that speed. Transmission has been built to the max with the factory tow package to boot. But still you get it hot and it's not a good thing no matter what you're pulling with. It's not just the uphill side but also the downhill side. You get it hot and it's not going to go very fast either way when the computer shuts it down. We occasionally pull it with the 1 ton but the fuel cost doesn't justify the means.
I know you see them flying down the road all the time on borrowed time.

The newer Rak Rebel can tow 10k in stock format. That's more than my '98 Ram 3/4 ton 5.9 gas engine can tow.

I have read some of those numbers are grossly over rated. Guess it's buyer beware.

I have read some of those numbers are grossly over rated. Guess it's buyer beware.
My old boss towed 8k with his Ford F 150 with no issues, can't recall the year, 2013 I want to say.

I know my truck can tow more than the sticker says, but for how long? My old truck was a workhorse when my friend owned it, he hauled his off road rog and a camper on the trailer he had, and it was pretty heavy. That was a light duty 3/5 ton, with a 9 1/4 rear end. That truck got used the way Dodge intended.

We tow about 10000 behind the 06 F250.
That's all I want to pull behind it. Hitch is rated for 12000 at the bumper.
There is more to towing than just trailer weight. That's were some get into trouble.

Thank you all. First when I started a replacement for my currect SUV I was looking for a mid size truck. Took a sit in before any test drive and did not like it at all. Salesman was quite clueless when I first sat in the back seat and then on front passenger side. If it was only for me then okay but knowing all members of our family we will need a full size with good back support for long 300-350 miles with Trailer or 400-450 without a day without excessive stress.
I do gree the ride on a 3/4 ton will be stiffer than 1/2 but if loaded it becomes much better.

Thank you all. First when I started a replacement for my currect SUV I was looking for a mid size truck. Took a sit in before any test drive and did not like it at all. Salesman was quite clueless when I first sat in the back seat and then on front passenger side. If it was only for me then okay but knowing all members of our family we will need a full size with good back support for long 300-350 miles with Trailer or 400-450 without a day without excessive stress.
I do gree the ride on a 3/4 ton will be stiffer than 1/2 but if loaded it becomes much better.
Correct a loaded 3/4 gets smoother. No so with an overloaded 1/2. All that weight needs to be accounted for.

I have a 2019 regular cab 4x4 Ram with towing package and 3.92 gears. I have a 2800 lbs dump trailer loaded 8k. It has no issues pulling or stopping. My buddy has a 2016 5.7 Ram Quad cab and tows his 7.5K loaded weight camper without issue. I think your approaching the max "comfort" level of the 1/2 ton. While I've pulled 7-10k short distancees, I wouldn't recommend it. My suggestion is to invest in a premium hitch and sway bar. 3k for the setup. Before I bought my 1/2 I considered a 3/4 hemi or Cummins but, couldn't justify the occasional long hauls. I've towed 12k with a diesel 3/4 and you didn't know anything was behind you. but, again the cost! Be safe.

Agreed, based on current market it is hard fo find a decent 3/4 or even 1/2 with say close to max tow package in our area. All I am seeing is from Rental / Fleet with little to no good service records. Our max loaded camper is expected to be just around 7k, lesser will be better but all up to my better half. Yes, watching a lot of youtube to see what's good in terms of sway control and weight dristribution all in one package, they do get expensive quickly but adds a peace of mind while driving on flat land waiting for a sudden wind gust.

Welcome to the forum! For towing a travel trailer around 4.5k to 5.5k lbs, a 1/2 ton truck with a V8 and a factory tow package should do the job. The Ram Rebel, mentioned by LocuMob, is worth checking out for its towing capacity. Just remember to verify those towing specs, as 7mopar pointed out.

As for the ride, 65 sporty is right about 1/2 tons being softer but potentially less stable in windy conditions. Investing in a good hitch and sway control, like my5thmopar suggested, can help a lot for a safer and more comfortable tow.

Good luck with your truck hunt!

I've had 3/4 ton trucks that rode better than some of the 1/2 ton's I have had.
I have a 96 Dakota 4wd, my sons 17 Dodge Cummins 2500 isn't as rough.

My son's 02 4x4 Dodge 2500 Cummins rides just as rough as my 06 two wheel drive F250. Both have factory tow packages. Both have about the same turning radius. Football field size. You won't notice it as much with forward turns. But sure will backing up.

Back