• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Magnum accesories and serpentine belt on LA Engine

So I started scavenging the magnum accessories bracket and serpentine system from the 5.2 magnum I have to put on my 360. One thing that has crossed my mind while I was doing this is am I going to need to get a 5.9 magnum harmonic balancer to make this work? This 360 I have, I had the balancing move internally. This was 10 years go I built this 360 so I am unsure anymore if it is only the rear that was move internally or the front as well or if its even done that way?

The 360 balancer has a large weight on it, easy to tell from a internal balanced balancer

I didn't have much time to mess around with it today but I did do some measurements. On the 5.2 magnum and 360, from the block to the back of the balancer was 2.5625in. Now to the front of the balancer is a different story, the 360 is a 1/4 thicker to the front face. Does anyone have a 5.9 to measure the thickness of the balancer? Also can the 5.9 and 360 swap balancers to make this happen?

They claim both 5.9 la and mag are externally balanced. The mag is lighter due to lighter internals.
I was so hoping to use the 89 damper with the 93 pulley.

So is it easier to adapt the Dakota PS pump to use an old school pulley and LA style bracket, or adapt a LA PS pump to use the Dakota's bigger fittings on its lines?

Truck all ready has bigger fittings. Not all LA pumps are equal depending on the front axle loading. That and the 93 pump feeds the rack and not a sector. Will have to check the pump specs and pump fittings.

I was looking on rockauto and it show the same balancer for a 75 360 as a 93 360. The 75 being a LA and the 93 being a Magnum.

This is the 5.2L balancer
DY_PB1004N_Fro__ra_p.jpg

This the 5.9 balancer

DY_PB1108N_Fro__ra_p.jpg

You can see the area removed for the weight for the counter balance. A original balancer from the 70's looks a little different but you get the idea.

Here's one, you can see the difference in the weight.
s-l225.jpg

Well sporty according to those pics, my 70's 360 block is running a 5.9 balancer. Now it is entirely possible I bought a new balancer when I built this engine years ago, because the pic you posted for the 360 balancer does look familiar but I have owned a couple 360's over the years so not sure. I do have all the reciepts for this engine so I am going to look to be sure if this is one I purchased. So if this is a 360 or 5.9 balancer there has to be different crank pulley whether it is a 5.2 or 5.9 because it doesn't make sense other wise.
20180728_160009.jpg

According to my records the balancer I am running is the Mopar Performance P5007301.
pre-Magnum (1972-92)
Magnum engines used an MP 5007187, 1993 -up
Unfortunately the MP catalog does not show the front side of these. They do use the same timing tape and show the same front damper face with the tape.

pre-Magnum (1972-92)
Magnum engines used an MP 5007187, 1993 -up
Unfortunately the MP catalog does not show the front side of these. They do use the same timing tape and show the same front damper face with the tape.
Yea that is kinda weird, every site is showing the same picture. I wish they would put measurements of it.

Took a look at both today. Problems will not be with the cover or anything associated. But mounting the power steering and belt tensioner will be the big obstacle.
They attach to the magnum cylinder heads. The LA engines do not have the head provisions needed.

20180731_151755.jpg

20180731_152202.jpg

20180731_152249.jpg

20180731_152618.jpg

I see the Magnums have more accessory bolt holes in the end of the heads, that's going to be a problem

Well thanks for the help guys. I think I just have to figure out how to make an old school pump work. Can't be to hard its not like dropping a LA engine into a dakota is a rare thing, just need to come across a guy or info that I need. Been kind of toying with the idea of using an early 80's ram chassis too. If I am going to make a true 4x4 at some point that dakota chassis will need a SAS conversion, even though Ram axles are to wide I have some ideas how to deal with that, plus I have see some pics of guys that did use the wider axles and had some fat tires on there anyways and it looked pretty bad ass. Was also thinking using a trans and tcase from the 80's too. So at that point dropping the body onto a Ram chassis seems like a lot less work. Plus I am pretty sure a short bed ram is closer to the wheel base I need than this Dakota chassis I have.

I have not given up yet. Just wish there was still a 360 on the stand to play with so the truck was not tied up in pieces till brackets were configured.
Exact placement will not be as critical as alignment.

To bad we are states away I have a 360 on a stand. Been thinking about the same thing but haven't had time to mess with it

My donor vehicle is still our daily work truck. I can not do anything till its replacement is ready for service.
Have been thinking about taking some measurements just to see what room is available.

Back