• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Lowering my 97' 1500

I don't know about your year truck, Shorty, but on my '86, I drilled the frame-mounted left spring mounts off the frame, lowered the frame to where I wanted it, and drilled new holes in the frame. It's been a few years since I've done it, but I think I was able to use some of the existing holes. I reinstalled them with grade 8 hardware, and drilled new holes in the shock crossmember for shorter shocks. Doing what everyone else is doing, (flip kits) is a really bad idea, IMO. Flip kits will definitely get you frequent rear end contact with the frame rails, unless you C notch it (and some people freak that I've drilled a couple of extra holes, but they're cool with chopping out an entire section of the frame!). A flip kit also puts the entire weight and load of the truck entirely on four U-bolts! Not cool! With my solution, the springs still carry the entire load, I didn't have to do one bit of welding, and the pinion angle didn't change as a result of mis-aligned spring pads that I've had to weld onto my rear end housing.
There are dropped spindles, I believe, and I was going to go that route until I found this "BrandonLSFurth" guy over on Dropped first gen Dodges on FB. He builds beautiful, super strong upper and lower control arms with coil overs, for first gen's at least, and I'm going to be changing my Chisholm lowers and dropped coils with my home modified upper control arms, for Brandon's excellent looking pieces.
Good to see some old Moparstyle guys here!

Back