• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Lowering my 97' 1500

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Looking for any help I can get . Down & Dirty, Lowering kits, Doing it right. Any,,,,,,,,thing. I wanna lower my 1997 Dodge Ram1500 as low as I can with a classy look.

I would do a google search and see what is out there for kits and decide from there

I lowered my 92 1 ton by removing 1 full coil per side, then a bit more on one side to get it level.(don't know why but it sat high on one side) As a general rule of thumb, 1" at the spring =2" at the wheel arch. I can't remember how the 2nd gen suspension is set up, I was thinking it had torsion bars. If it does you can just back them off or adjust them back up till you get what you want. Nothing is ever as easy as it is in our heads though. A pic of my 92.

Attachments

• 232378134_10227742389092342_8656643587270883975_n.jpg
    232378134_10227742389092342_8656643587270883975_n.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 152
I lowered my 92 1 ton by removing 1 full coil per side, then a bit more on one side to get it level.(don't know why but it sat high on one side) As a general rule of thumb, 1" at the spring =2" at the wheel arch. I can't remember how the 2nd gen suspension is set up, I was thinking it had torsion bars. If it does you can just back them off or adjust them back up till you get what you want. Nothing is ever as easy as it is in our heads though. A pic of my 92.
Love the picture. Not torsion bar suspension on the front. I wished though. She's coil sprung. I want to have at least 1 lowered truck in my life.

Shorty
I didnt know you were on here..... havent heard your name in a while..... since teh (apparently) defunct "Moparstyle" I also see "Cranky" around here and there...
did u ever use all those Volare fenders etc you got from me a few years ago? Seems you were experimenting with a 77/78ish Le Baron at the time...

and on lowering a truck.... I got the same question about it I ask everyone... WHY? Mine get "lowered" when they are used as they are intended... as trucks..... then back to where they belong once unloaded.....

Shorty
I didnt know you were on here..... havent heard your name in a while..... since teh (apparently) defunct "Moparstyle" I also see "Cranky" around here and there...
did u ever use all those Volare fenders etc you got from me a few years ago? Seems you were experimenting with a 77/78ish Le Baron at the time...

and on lowering a truck.... I got the same question about it I ask everyone... WHY? Mine get "lowered" when they are used as they are intended... as trucks..... then back to where they belong once unloaded.....
All those parts I got from you went to very good use. No sweating anything there Don Lowering my Truck? I want it low. I always loved the look. Now I deliberating on paint schemes as well. It'll take a minute, but I'll get what I want, eventually. I only hope it's Trucks only worthy.

If you are going to lower your truck, see of you can find dropped spindles to drop the front. I think dropped springs or cutting the coils will greatly reduce your suspension travel. Maybe de-arch the rear springs & shorter bump stops on the frame.

If you are going to lower your truck, see of you can find dropped spindles to drop the front. I think dropped springs or cutting the coils will greatly reduce your suspension travel. Maybe de-arch the rear springs & shorter bump stops on the frame.
This is being taken into consideration. I am at that age where I wanna retire. I want something awesome & comfortable.

I'm in the same boat Shorty. I used dropped coils on my Dakota & the front suspension travel was reduced A LOT. (I don't plan on doing another drop, & would not go the coil spring route again) Dakotas (2wd) have a metal "cup" that the bump stops sit in on the lower control arm, & I had to remove them to get some travel back. They were riveted in from the factory (2 rivets each side, & kind of hard to get to working on the ground) I did put new bump stops in from Energy Suspension. They have a lot of universal bump stops in different sizes to fit your needs.

Thanks niceolddart. Makes me wonder " what " other application out there for spindle height is available. Example i.e. , I noticed that my spindles are front steer. Well I know mid-70s GM cars are too. Commonality? Coil spring front suspension. So,,,,,,,,,, what's the swap possibility? Draw backs possibility; spindle in the same location, ball joint bolt hole too small; tie rod arm wrong location, wrong angle, bolt hole too small.

I don't know about swapping parts as far as spindles go, but I just remembered I've also heard simply putting upper control arms from a Dodge B-Series van will lower the front end on your D-Series Dodge truck. I would check into that for sure.

I don't know about swapping parts as far as spindles go, but I just remembered I've also heard simply putting upper control arms from a Dodge B-Series van will lower the front end on your D-Series Dodge truck. I would check into that for sure.
Where do you start with the asking that question?

I will try to remember where I saw the article. I'm pretty sure it was a Mopar site, & it wasn't too long ago either. In the mean time, you could probably find answers for that swap on the internet.

I will try to remember where I saw the article. I'm pretty sure it was a Mopar site, & it wasn't too long ago either. In the mean time, you could probably find answers for that swap on the internet.
Been looking at over the counter lowering spindles. I guess if you want it done, then it's not gonna be cheap.

Yeh, It's not a low cost item that's for sure, but the results are almost always worth it. I think the van upper control arm thing may have been for 93 & earlier trucks too, sorry.

Yeh, It's not a low cost item that's for sure, but the results are almost always worth it. I think the van upper control arm thing may have been for 93 & earlier trucks too, sorry.
That's ok. Went out the salvage yard yesterday. Looked around and found a driver's side door and a bed. I'll be picking them up next week.

Brief update. I wanted dual exhaust sound. I got it! I also found what could be an omen for wanting to lower my truck. I found a broken shackle. Yep ! rear of the spring is pushing on the bottom of the bed floor.

Back