• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Is a Stop Sign Really Necessary?

Some day I'll learn to shut my mouth when dealing with Laura, but i don't think it'll be anytime soon.
About thirty years and I still haven't learned . :rolleyes:

.....I've been around and am not a youngster!........ I want you to be honest...........

Got my class #1 driver's permit since 1968, first of June....(never involved in an accident and one ticket in almost 50 years.)

That means I have the permit to drive anything on the road....that doesn't mean I CAN and WANT to drive anything that is on the road .........

I got my heavy equipment operator card since they introduce it in 1974, they gave it to me because I already have experience operating heavy equipment.....that doesn't mean I am a good operator..........

I always and still make a complete stop at stop sign, even at 4 o'clock in the morning.

The last contractor I work for (for 12 years) before I retired once told me: Pierre, you cost me more money in brake lining and fuel because you stop at every stop sign!!!!!!!

My answer: Of course I stop at stop signs, if I lost my driver's permit will you pay me sitting at home??? If you don't want me to stop at stop signs, just call the city and ask them to take them off!!!!

His answer: (after a little thinking) Never mind! just continue like you do, after all you bring back the truck in good condition every night....

We have tried to eliminate stop signs by replacing them with roundabouts. You would be surprised the amount of vehicles that stop when they do not have to.
Just curious do fines double up there on your class 1 permit?

Just curious do fines double up there on your class 1 permit?

I happily don't know!....LOL....but I don't think so.

Fines and ''demerit'' points double for everyone in construction zones though.

The ticket I got was for not wearing my safety belt in 1976 on the Trans Canadienne. The veteran policeman was training a rookie and they choose me instead of hundred other drivers.

We have tried to eliminate stop signs by replacing them with roundabouts. You would be surprised the amount of vehicles that stop when they do not have to.
That drives me nuts when people do that ! Just like people that come to a complete stop when there getting on the highway . :rage:

We have tried to eliminate stop signs by replacing them with roundabouts
We replaced the only 2 stop lights in the county with roundabouts, I thought I would hate them, turns out I love them since I hardly ever have to stop now. Interestingly, they claimed each stop light cost almost 600,000 dollars to operate each year, which I dont buy for a second, but I'm no expert.

We replaced the only 2 stop lights in the county with roundabouts, I thought I would hate them, turns out I love them since I hardly ever have to stop now. Interestingly, they claimed each stop light cost almost 600,000 dollars to operate each year, which I dont buy for a second, but I'm no expert.
Then your drivers there must be better then over here . On one of the cruise nights we go to almost every week , there's one roundabout we have to hit and I can almost guarantee that when we get to it they'll be at least enough room for about a half dozen cars to enter it . But they'll be one guy in front of me that'll come to a complete stop , look both ways and then still wait there for a few minutes before he starts to enter it . By law here , your supposed to "yield" and not "stop" when entering a roundabout or highway on ramp .

Yeah, we have the yield signs when you get to the roundabout, but too many people don't know that you don't NEED to stop. I had r explain to Laura, that it's the LEFT of way in a roundabout, she didn't get it, and that was after she got into an accident shortly after they were completed.

If she watches enough French movies she should figure it out. I have yet to see or do any yet with more than 2 lanes. Those with more lanes could get real interesting.

At the big city north of us they put some in, 2 lane version with a turn lane. At first it was a little chaotic, but it actually reduced traffic in the area. Apparently the drivers who don't like, or can't figure out, take a different route.

She doesn't watch French movies, she hates subtitles.

Last edited:
Back