• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

HELP! No Brake Lights

Those look like FSM drawings. Way better than the Hayes or Chilton crap I have. These will get printed for future reference. Thank for posting.

New turn signal switch, new brake light switch. No power going to the brake light switch. when I had this problem before on another truck, I replaced the TS and the problwm was fixed. The only difference with this truck is that it has cruise and tilt.

I understand your point Polara. I cant understand how 2 turn signal switches could be bad. This is very frustrating! I can build a vehicle from bumper to bumper but absolutly hate electrical problems.

I worked at an IH dealer in the '90s....we used to go thru stacks of AC Delco starters and alternators sometimes just to find a good one.Just because a part is new doesn't mean it's a good one.

You got that right. I also tried a factory one before the New one that I know worked in the other truck.

I had one on my road runner once....moved the handle up and down and the brake lights worked

If you enlarge the fusebox diagram, it shows fuse 9 as the feed for the brake lights. That is an 84 diagram, but the 86 diagram is virtually identical - at least for that fuse, so odds are good the 85 is also.

I believe it may have a short somewhere.
When you put the Horn fuse in the horn stays on.
You unplug the horns and put the fuse back in, the brake lights come on and stay on. Plus you can see a little spark as you plug the fuse back in.

The problem in getting a new TS switch for these years with tilt wheel is impossible. Non tilt switches are everywhere. So your stuck with getting one for a 88 to 93 which has a different plug for the main harness and the cruise. I cut the old plugs off the bad switch and spliced them into the new one. I did them in order from the white wire on across
Turn Signal Switch2.jpg
Turn Signal Switch3.jpg
. I have done this before and had no problem. If anyone has the under dash wiring diagram, I could see what colors go to what function.

just for S and Gs.....try an extra ground wire on the tail lights. The guys over on the Dodge Cummins site are adamant about clean grounds.

Ok Thanks. The tail lights, turn signals and hazards are all bright.
Are you talking about the ground in back on the drives side to the frame.or should I add another one somewhere else?

I'd run one from the tail light itself if you can. This stepside I just bought has extra grounds all over the place.

Back