• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fopar's 72 F-250 project

Sorry guys, been busy with so many things that it hasn't left time for the truck or much else. We have been slammed a work since spring and it hasn't slowed down and to top it off they moved us to a new location/warehouse during our busiest month ever. Every company I've worked for has moved at least once (5 moves) so I'm kinda a pro now at setting up new warehouses. But the down side is it takes every bit of my extra time to pull it off since we were still doing our normal jobs on top of moving a 80,000 sf warehouse. 2 months of 18 hour days doesn't leave much time or energy for other things. I'd get home crash into the recliner and most times wake up there the next morning.

As for the truck I have started to tinker with it again and have been toying with a custom front bumper idea. So after heating and beating one of my spare bumpers back into shape and almost straight again. I cut off one end of the bumper and matched it up to the stone deflector, marked off the end of the deflector to match the bumper and then cut it. I did this to both ends and that brought the ends of the bumper in about 2-1/4" I then chopped off the extra off of the middle section and welded the bumper back together and started tacking it to the deflector.
IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0934.jpg

So this is what I have so far. I have more metal work to do to make it all smooth and fit together right, but you can start to see the idea coming together. I will body work it and primer it to see how it turns out before I decide if I'm going to use it or stay with a more stock look.

Well been working on the truck but ran into some problems getting things to line up, so I had to blow the front end apart again. The radiator core support isn't lining up with everything else. I marked where the mounts should be with everything bolted to it and lined up but it still isn't working out, my holes I drilled didn't end up right at all. (to far forward). So I had to stop and think this one out before doing any more fab work. The frame rails are different sizes from side to side and the driver side sit a 1/4" lower. Spacers will work to make up the difference but still need to get the mounts in the right spot. I have a plan to fix it so hope to have more pic's soon.

Ok, so after a lot longer than I wanted I finally have the radiator core support done, as you can see from the pic's the first round hole I drilled didn't line up to well and you can really see it looking down through the bolt holes. Still not sure how I got it so far off :hmm:

IMG_0950_zps5959a9d2.jpg

IMG_0953_zps4d2c2451.jpg

IMG_0954_zps2e313236.jpg

I leveled the frame to the shop floor and took some measurements. With the front end all lined up and bolted together you can see that the bottom of the radiator core support is at 26" on both sides but the top of the drivers side frame rail is 1/4" lower than the passenger side.

IMG_0955_zps42de44db.jpg

IMG_0957_zpsd1aa3a99.jpg

So I took the supports I had cut off of the 2002 frame and cut them to match what I needed for each side.

IMG_0958_zpsfe855a59.jpg

IMG_0959_zpscb5b5df1.jpg

IMG_0962_zpsb0d259e1.jpg

On the passenger side I cut right down through both the new plate and the frame then clamped it in place and welded it in.

IMG_0966_zps7deda72a.jpg

IMG_0968_zpsfed4b5e5.jpg

The drivers side I traced it onto the frame & cut it out. Then tacked it into place to check how it lined up.

IMG_0972_zps2085bf01.jpg

IMG_0969_zps89820e20.jpg

Burned in the drivers side, cut off the rounded part that was sticking out and welded in a little plate. and then ground everything smooth.

IMG_0983_zpsf49f22c2.jpg

IMG_0984_zps16e35705.jpg

IMG_0985_zps31330a07.jpg

So now I can bolt the front end back on and get back to the front bumper..

Had an unexpected take-over of my shop.... a dam chevy moved in....LOL I ended up getting a great deal on a 1997 suburban parts rig for $450.00 (no engine or trany) but I needed a new fender, AC compressor and a bunch of small items for our suburban so a lot of left over parts to sell. I think I should be able to clear $2000.00 very easily, and that will help out the ol project a lot!

IMG_1091_zps24190039.jpg

IMG_1100_zps648838ac.jpg

The project might be on hold but that didn’t stop me from some fun with the boom truck from work again. Sure makes parting out a vehicle a lot easier.....

0131131635_zps457856a5.jpg

That's some killer work there I've just now took the time to look at all your work & like yourself like use of the company boom truck!
Your thread takes me back in time & has me thinking about the last 3 trucks that I'll do for myself & how much time it will take me These builds are all coming together parts wise & since two of them will have the same major frame modification & the 3rd a frame shortening with a major body modification.
Your build here has me also thinking about mods that a friend & I can do to his bumpsides that he's working on. He's the guy who sells the direct fit inside hood release kits & direct fit delay wiper changeover kit for the bumpside as well as a bunch of other stuff for them

So my wife says my truck is my mistress and that I spend more time with it then her, so today being Valentines Day I bought my truck a gift. a new dash bezel and white gauges..lol not really my wife got them for my Valentines gift. Here are a few before & then the new one.

IMG_1160_zpsba7c048d.jpg

IMG_1161_zpsce60178b.jpg

IMG_1164_zpsabc86ebf.jpg

IMG_1171_zpsb482c0e8.jpg

Have to say she did a very good job on picking out my gift this year...beats the box of chocolates any day.

wow thats nice she got a sister lol never mind my wife might get upset

Wow I just look through your whole rebuild and I must say well done!! not only the work but the pictures and the discriptions of every thing .I know its hard to split time between truck ,family, wife ,work and honey do list .just keep her smiling and don't pile anything on the truck when your not working on it. Go out to the garage every day if only to look at it. Last post was june of 2011 any up dates?

I have a wife like that only she gives me handwritten gift certificates allowing me to get what I want Parts,parts trucks etc

oldbucfan

Wow I just look through your whole rebuild and I must say well done!! not only the work but the pictures and the discriptions of every thing .I know its hard to split time between truck ,family, wife ,work and honey do list .just keep her smiling and don't pile anything on the truck when your not working on it. Go out to the garage every day if only to look at it. Last post was june of 2011 any up dates?

my join date was June of 2011, the last update was in Dec. 2012 but with the Suburban parts rig taking over I haven't been able to do much on it. But we did pick up another truck. It's going to be my daughters truck & it's a bit ruff now but we have 2 years before she can drive to work on it and get it into shape. She loves it like it is and can't wait to show up all the boys with it...lol

IMG_1279.jpgIMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

nice collection addition although ive got mopar in my blood i love the old ford trucks

Back