• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fopar's 72 F-250 project

Fopar

Reaction score
Hi all I’m from Washington St. (Eastern WA the dry side lol) I have a 1972 Ford F-250 that I bought around 3 years ago for $800.00 I drove it almost everyday for 2 years before the ol 360 gave out. I found a guy who had a 1977 Lincoln Mark V 460 C6 trany with bad brakes and a rusted out roof but very low miles for only $300.00 It runs and drives great just doesn’t stop.:eek2: Plan to put the 460 into the truck soon!

Here are a few pic's of what it looked like when I got it

IMG_0435Medium.jpg

IMG_0440Medium.jpg

IMG_0441Medium.jpg

Last edited:
This what I've been working on

IMG_0442.jpg

Woo hoo:rockon: the 460 and C6 are out!!!!

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

yeah, the dash didn't look like that when I got it. If you look at this pick you can see all the cracks. But your really going to hate me when you hear how I found the one that's in it now. I found an old landscaping truck in the junk yard and the dash was covered in almost a 1/4" of dirt. I cleand it off just enough to see that it didn't have any cracks, pulled it out and took it up to find out how much. The kid took one look at that dirty thing and said $25.00 and I said thank you very much!

Before

IMG_0438Medium.jpg

After

070.jpg

Big difference in the dash and motor appearance..I am not usually a Ford guy/expert so what will you have to change to get the 460 big block in there...I however did build a 427 FE for a Galaxy 500

cammerfe
Excellent project! (But I wish you'd put an FE back in it!)

Yeah I know but it's just happened to be to good of a deal for a good running engine, and now that I parted out the car it didn't cost me a thing. All said and done spent $300.00 for it, parted and scrap added up to $500.00 so free 460 and C6 trany and $200.00 in my pocket. not to bad.

I am not usually a Ford guy/expert so what will you have to change to get the 460 big block in there...

Not much needs to change, you need the engine towers from a 460 truck 73-79 and then relocate the trany mount ( C6 trany is longer) and have the drive shaft shortened and that’s about it.

Ok so decided to go all in and do a chassis swap. My $500.00 parts truck I picked up a little while back, 2002 company truck with bad engine.

IMG_0547.jpg

and one of the things in the back of my head was to try this swap once I got the body out of the way.

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

[h=3]So now that’s done I spent last week mocking up engine mounts for my 460 (I got out of a 77 Lincoln) so it could mount onto the 2002 frame.

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg
[/h]

I cut out the cross member from the Lincoln Mark V and grafted it onto the truck cross member and the 460 dropped right in. The 02’s frame has two trany mounting positions and the back one was a perfect fit

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

Did a test fit with just the bed first, pulled it back off and then put the cab up on it.

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

I couldn’t believe it but the front cab mounts were an exactly perfect fit. As you can see in the pic’s the bolts dropped right in and are straight.

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

The bed is about 3" to high so I will need to fugure out how to make it line up but It looks like I should have room to lower it by notching the bed rails.
Now the 02 was an extended cab and I have always wanted a short bed bump so I will have to cut down the frame and then the bed but I planed on doing that to the old frame before I got the 02 so no big deal. 23-1/2” will need to be cut out and that will bring the rear cab mounts up to the correct position. The 02 has disc brakes all the way around and a very nice ride so this should be a great upgrade for my old 72.

Back