• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dodge Express truck rims

David the Farmer

Reaction score
I am seeking information on replacement rims/wheels for a 1949 Dodge 1 ton express. Split rims are taboo with tire shops. The rims are 16” 6” wide with 6 lugs 7.25. 7.00-16 or 7.50-16 tires 6 ply. Military sized tires which are available just trying to find rims.

todays tire guy is not great with split rims for sure , we found the patterns was set on a budd type rim , so we went with 19.5's to suite the new tire has can be had and repaired . but in your case , maybe the small cab over box trucks use that same pattern in a 16 , or you could have some one put you a set of tubeless 16's together . its some cutting and welding with a machine shop .

I could not find a modern rim with the same bolt pattern when I was trying to replace the split rim wheels on a 1947 Herman bodied Dodge delivery van (see pic) last year. Alcoa would special drill a set of their aluminum wheels but time involved and money were factors. They also wanted a certified weight slip to make sure the wheels would not be overloaded. If 16" ended up overloaded in their opinion they wanted to substitute 19.5" but would still drill lugs to match. I ended up finding a Diesel truck (18 wheeler big rig type) tire shop and they were happy to do it but I paid $60 ea. for mount and balance when the normal charge was $30 at their shop.

DSCN0409.JPG

that just budd 6 lug style . should be had , motorhome rims maybe , parcel truck ? in 19.5 or you could cut up some new 16's and put your centers in those newer 16'' bands . and if you wanted to keep them , then just get a tire hammer and some bars . and go for it .

Back