• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dodge A100 disc brake conversion - 2019 Updated

So here are some pictures to go along with what's been happening.

New remote booster - mounted behind drivers side front wheelhouse...will have a protection shroud made up shortly for stone chips etc...
upload_2019-4-19_20-39-52.png

upload_2019-4-19_20-40-4.png

Initial sketch of what the brake hoses needed to look like - I thought I had found a competent and reliable supplier who could make custom hoses....turns out he is a lying, cheating, scamming filthy prick living in a third world country and not Australia like he claimed on his company website.

upload_2019-4-19_20-41-44.png

So, we ended up going to a local Speed Shop who is permitted to make brake hoses, and for a lot more money than anticipated, I have the correct hoses now. Wioll post close-ups of them later....they are sexy little hoses :bananadance:

Backing plates in position for alignment of other components....

upload_2019-4-19_20-44-0.png

The bolts that Scarebird supplied were too short and of a softer grade than required for the job...

upload_2019-4-19_20-44-39.png

The National Bearings (A2 & A6) I bought from Rock Auto turned out to be Chinese junk....so they got ditched in favour of quality Japanese bearings...

upload_2019-4-19_20-45-44.png

I did however find the correct inner bearing seals at Rock Auto....so while they have some junk in stock, they also have some good stuff too.

Discovered a design flaw in the wheels....the Wheels Vintique wheels from Summit Racing. Upon a trial fit one day for the rotor and caliper clearance, we only had 2 studs installed....as I had bought longer studs to cut down....more about that later.

Dr Phil (my brake Guru) spotted a huge gap between the inside of the lug hole, and the flat mating surface of the rotor. We checked again, and there was a gap of something like 5/16" ....way too much to be blase about and take no notice. We consulted our local tyre man, and he made inquiries....we were told that is OK, as that's how they are made.

Turns out after talking about it with Paul (tyre man) that he recalled having to go around the wheels a couple of times to torque them up...which thought unusual at the time, but thought it was peculiar to this truck....so didn't think to say anything out of turn.

I made a call, and to cut a long story short....ended up buying a new set of mag wheels with a nice flat mating surface on the back. Problem solved....just more money out the window. I'll leave one in the truck as a spare....but hope it will not be used very often.

upload_2019-4-19_20-54-22.png

You can see where the lug nuts have been pulling the steel towards the brake drums....

upload_2019-4-19_20-54-33.png

You guys might think this is alright...but when you are torquing against fresh air, what is the actual torque achieved? I'm not a big gambler...especially don't want a wheel falling off at speed.

Here is an early shot of the beginning stages....installing a Wilwood proportioning valve where the old brass block used to suit. Decided not to use the 50 year old piece, and not even contemplating rebuilding it either. ;)

Two of the original new lines that Phil built 9 years ago lined up almost perfectly.

upload_2019-4-19_20-58-0.png

The old wire that went to the proportioning valve will be deleted in an up-coming wiring upgrade ....the original job I did was rushed, and I have never been happy about that. I'll make another loom at my leisure, and swap it out during the coming months.

upload_2019-4-19_20-59-38.png

upload_2019-4-19_20-59-52.png

upload_2019-4-19_21-0-5.png

Here is one of the sexy little brake hoses that I had made up locally....

upload_2019-4-19_21-0-34.png

Banjo fitting with a 45* angle at the caliper ends....worked out brilliantly when it was eventually connected up.

Back