• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dana 70 rebuild questions

Cranky1

Banned Old Stinky Fart
Reaction score
Anyone know the spline on the 2500 full floating axles? Also, do any of the shims from a Dana 60 work in the 70?

That guy on the 4x4 board needs to learn how to read a tape measure. I guess I should have mentioned what year I'm working on as mine is different in many ways, one being the drums slip on but yet, it's still a full floating unit. My truck is a 97....and I'm glad they made that change lol. Those old rears were a pita to keep the rear seals from leaking rear end oil into the bearings and brakes. Guess I'm going to have to pull an axle to see what splines it has. I want to buy a Track Lok and have all my parts on hand before tearing it apart.

I'd love to help, but I don't have one to look at..... The drum/hub design is better in the sense that the bearings get insepcted every brake job.......

If you ever play with your Dana rears, tack the diff pin, the roll pin/bolt likes to break when they start to wear, walk out and hitcha ride on the pinion gear.

for future help......Just READ the B.O.M. on all dana axles and you won't have to pull the axle, im sure when you go to order the parts the place will ask for this anyway, i know i do

If I could read it, that would be the thing to do. I guess I could try some 320 emery on it and see if I can see them better....

I've done that but the numbers are faint. I'm going to take some 320 to it next to get a shine on it....maybe I can read it then.

This is a really old thread, but I recently found myself looking for the BOM on the tube and was unable to read anything. My question is: are the numbers on the ring gear the same as what was on the axle tube? Also I've been told that if the hubs have studs verses bolts they are 35 spline. Does this always hold true?
Thank

Back