• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

D100 in NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daryn

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to FTO. NZ based and working on a '59 D100 that came from Utah a few years ago. Not many of this model here. I am in need of a driver's door latch mechanism and probably will need some front end parts. Would also be interested in some decent front fenders.

20230310_183943.jpg

Nice truck, the shipping to get that there must have been crazy expensive! Any way I have a 56, many parts are shared. I did mine up hot rod style so I do have a few odd parts, nothing big. Somewhere I think I have a bunch of new front end parts IF yours is the "I " beam style which mine no longer is. The easiest way to convert though is put it on a modern frame which would be difficult for you over there. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks for the encouragement. Used to see a '56 rolling around here and I bbelieved was on a retrofitted independent front end and was running a 360 with torqflite.

I think I'll try to keep mine as original as possible - what's your truck running? Looks good man.

I could be interested purchasing the front end bits (we're talking kingpin assembly?)

P.s. door latch assembly with 4 pointed star ratchet - rarer than hens' teeth now?

I put mine on a 81 dodge short box frame, in hindsight a Dakota frame would have been better because it's narrower and I had to shorten mine 5 inchs to fit properly but it then gave me independent front suspension with disc brakes and allowed me to in stall a 8 3/4 rear end and a833 4 spd, I used a mild 318 from a 71 dart that had low miles, she's just a cruiser nothing wild besides fuel is 1.70 a litre here and climbing. As far as the front end parts I might have , yes it was king pin but I think I only had steering rods? It was all in my son's shed I'll have to get over there and see what's there. Nothing on the door latchs they are really hard to find and when you do there worn out. There is a guy here in Canada on the other side of the country from me called Dodge city truck parts he has some new and used stuff I have bought from before. He is old and isn't great with the computer if you can't find him on line I could get you his number?

BTW the 56 frame and possibly yours are hour glass shaped in the front making it difficult to modify so if you were going to stay with that frame you would need to cut off the front and add a new clip, lots of work your straight axle can look cool and be lowered BUT they ride like a bucking bronco!

Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it.
I'm not aiming for car-like ride quality, just originality if I can. I will have another look at my chassis and check the shape just out of interest. Steering linkages could be worth buying if interchangeable. My truck is running original 318 poly and 4 speed manual. It's pretty original all round - certainly it's no lexus but it's fun to drive, just for what it is although it may need a higher geared diff at some stage... I love this old MoPar stuff - had a lot to do with slant sixes (we really only saw the 225 here in any numbers) and Australian made 'hemi' sixes - still got a Valiant running one. 318 poly is new territory for me. I'm not great with this modern technology beyond email and just figuring out how this forum thing works - if you're able to find phone number for Canadian Dodge man without too much trouble I'd really appreciate that. Thanks again man

This is the guy below, he is a little slow to respond but had most of what I needed, seals, door handles etc. Dose yours have electric wipers or vacuum, I had a parts truck when I started my project, one was vacuum wiper, one, ( the one I kept ) was electric, I still have the vacuum one if yours was done. I'll look for the steering stuff when I get over to my son's place next.it will fit.

Screenshot_20230320_180036_Contacts.jpg

Thanks man, so do I. Just want to get it road legal and preserve it more or less as is

This is the guy below, he is a little slow to respond but had most of what I needed, seals, door handles etc. Dose yours have electric wipers or vacuum, I had a parts truck when I started my project, one was vacuum wiper, one, ( the one I kept ) was electric, I still have the vacuum one if yours was done. I'll look for the steering stuff when I get over to my son's place next.it will fit.

Thank you

T

Electric wipers on mine but Interested to see what front end parts you can dig up. Thanks

I got over to my son's shed today and found the parts I was speaking of. This is it for front end stuff. I don't have any usable door handles or window handles there is however some other misc stuff from the two trucks, all small stuff like maybe a extra fan motor and some misc interior stuff there might be some of the mount bushings from the leaf springs somewhere? Anyway next time I'm there I'll see if I can get some photos. The stuff in the pictures here is all available cheap if you want it. Let me know.

20230326_133220.jpg

20230326_133158.jpg

Last edited:
welcome from sunny california , sunny day today here . i know your pain friend i've got several of that type latch from my 56 cab 57 d100 , 60 d100 , 64d100 , and my 67 d100 all using the same type latches . the rubber seal helps keep the door located in the jam , and the poor alum alloy pin wheel can't handle the load . pin wheel needs to be steel like the later ones .

Hi all I'm new to FTO. NZ based and working on a '59 D100 that came from Utah a few years ago. Not many of this model here. I am in need of a driver's door latch mechanism and probably will need some front end parts. Would also be interested in some decent front fenders.

View attachment 22417
Start a parts wanted thread or two and hopefully someone can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back