• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Crack in Frame at Steering Sector

bigds65

Reaction score
Anyone out there ever have a Dodge pickup frame crack where the steering sector bolts to the frame? I have, three in a row a 79 frame then an 80 frame and a 77 all cracked at the steering sector. "Dang"

3 Wow. I never have. Had a 79 that had some frame rot behind gas tank it was a 2wd and 30yrs old at the time. My dad's old 80 model was 4wd frame was thicker on it. It was in great shape when my nephew totaled it around 2008-09.

I believe that there is a reinforcing plate on the later 80's trucks. I don't know when that started. I had a 72 with frame cracks there. My two 89 4x4's have a plate that sandwiches to the frame where the steering box mounts. I have a stripped Ramcharger that I might be able to get a picture from.

I believe that there is a reinforcing plate on the later 80's trucks. I don't know when that started. I had a 72 with frame cracks there. My two 89 4x4's have a plate that sandwiches to the frame where the steering box mounts. I have a stripped Ramcharger that I might be able to get a picture from.
That would be awesome. My lil red express frame has two small hairline cracks next to two of bolt holes for the steering sector. I wont to repair and reinforce the area.

On my 72 pickup, when you turned the steering wheel, you could watch the frame flex by the steering box. There was a broken rivet on the front frame cross brace. I welded that back up but it still kept cracking. I will try to post a pic of the reinforcing plate.

It's a fairly common problem, there is a plate and a brace available somewhere - or at least was. I've never had the issue so never chased it down.

I think I saw something about this sometime ago on trucks when stacey david from gearz was the host. I think he ended up welding a plate in or boxing in the frame I can't remember.

Yes he Is. I'm thinking It was early on when he did Sgt.Rock.
That was a cool show, can't remember the name. I wanted one of those Power Wagons, found one for cheap, passed, then realized what an idiot I was. But it needed a lot of money thrown at it, but man, it would have been sweet. It would have gotten a newer drivetrain while keeping the original appearance, for the most part.

I bought a used '88 150 2WD recently and was surprised to find the frame cracked around the steering box mounting holes. One of the cracks extended into the frame rail a couple inches. Folks say it's common but in the last 20 years and a dozen or more of these '81-'93 trucks I'd never come across it before. I took it to a heavy truck repair shop and they welded it up for $150. After a year and half and approx 50K miles still fine for what it's worth.

Hitting curbs, potholes and beating on things sideways with the front bumper are probably there worst things on the Dodge frame at the steering box.

@badvert65 - I think 7mopar was trying to distinguish between use and abuse. With no history on my '88 referenced above I wondered what it took to break the steering box loose. With no history, who can say. In getting the truck road worthy it became clear that it had gone off-road in a very unfriendly manner at some point in it's life. The oil pan was bent and torn as well as the driveshaft being bent. But even if it had one accident event it's hard to imagine that alone being the cause of the cracking around the steering box mount. I've often wondered if bouncing the left front wheel off of parking lot stops, over and over might also contribute. As a precaution I try to stop short of them instead of stopping/parking by "feel".

Back