• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

considering a newer truck

volaredon

Reaction score
as title says. it won't be new for sure, just new to me. It WILL be a Dodge, as I have never had anything else.
As much as Id like to find a nice "old man special" clean low mile 80s D/W 150, or (2nd choice) a 94-02 series with a Magnum 318 or 360, it isn't looking promising. living in the rust belt is the problem there. as is banks, not wanting to loan on something like that.
most likely if it happens it will be mid-2000s-mid 2010's model. It will NOT be a 4 door with stupidly short (useless) bed. Im trying to find a reg cab 8' bed, Hemi, that is not white. Talk about a needle in a haystack. I further wish I could find a truck like that with a 6 speed manual. I see lots of 2002-2012s that have more rust than my current 96 and 99 Dakotas combined. also not interested.
I have a couple in my sights, Hemi, auto. anywhere from 50-200k+ miles, looking towards the low er end of that range, I want to have something left once paid for.
I looked 2 years ago, seeing prices now I wish that if I was gonna get a newer truck, I should have done it then. could have had a 2018 with 5k miles on it, for less than I'm seeing 2013s and 2014s with 100k+ on them now.
(I didnt think they were giving me a fair deal at the time) "ST" or "tradesman" trim plenty good for me. Don't need all the frills, a waste in a work truck.

What can you guys tell me about the Hemi's? Pifalls? Gotcha's? I'm used to 318s and 360s in both LA and Magnum varieties. anything to be wary of? Common issues after certain number of miles? Certain years better than others?

I have seen older 03-06 with high miles and running strong, but I have seen 4 different Hemis, 13 and 14s with bad lifters that wiped out camshafts around the 130,000 mark.

That is much more in line with what I would like to get, and I am much more familiar with a 360 than the hemi. Comparable overall miles on it vs the 2010 that I am considering.
Biggest issue? I have 3 white vehicles now, trying to get away from it for a while
and being 21 years old I do like the older ones much better but i don't have $9 grand sitting around where I could just write a check. The biggest reason I'm looking newer is that I think the bank will be more willing to help

Can't get the link to load but this truck is in PA. On Syracuse craigslist

Screenshot_20210609-201834_Chrome.jpg

He's the rest of the ad

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210609-202057_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210609-202057_Chrome.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 146
Waverly is actually in NY, touches the border, Sayre is next door in PA. The only thing separating them is the line on the ground for the border. My Aunt- Uncle lived in Sayre. Both small places. Between Elmira and Binghamton and go south.

Been looking periodically, want to go back to a full size truck and pass my 99 Dakota on.
I know of a mid to late 90s at a dealership, 3/4 ton 4wd I'm wondering about since I think they are using it as their lot truck, it was full of scrap rotors, heads etc when I saw it, way in back corner with no stickers on the window, but it's in better than decent shape. I looked on their inventory and it's not listed.

I really really don't want a brand new one
But they also had the closest thing to what I would want if I absolutely had to go that way.
The only thing about that one was it's a V6 truck, if I go that new I definitely want a V8(Hemi)
Reg cab 8' bed and not white. Why is that so difficult to find?
I did knock on the door of a guy that has had a gen 1 Cummins truck sitting in the driveway not moved in many years yesterday. He's crazy. Getting 5 speed blown up, had rebuilt and it blew again, he has a used one sitting there ready to go in...I'm not the 1st one to knock on his door asking about it.
Some of the things past people have asked him to trade (he's clearly not a dealer, this is on a residential street) and he has refused tell me that I could probably get a better deal on that brand new maroon 1/2 ton with the v6 I mentioned above than this one/ which now that I have seen it closer, this Cummins truck is R-O-U-G-H to say the least.
I guess I'll just have to build up my 85 D150 to where I want it and run the v6 Dakota that I want gone, into the ground while the D150 happens.
I sure as f..k ain't going to pay $45k plus for what I want.
I know of another Cummins truck this one is real nice and not a ton of miles but I also ain't paying $13k for what is a 30 yo truck

Can't get the link to load but this truck is in PA. On Syracuse craigslist

View attachment 19419
Anyone notice it says Dodge Truck but Has F 150??? I can not find the add, Might buy something like that to replace my Dakota. But I would have to change engine to pull my Steel deck with the 66 Satellite on it. Worth the effort????

Why would you have to change the engine? That "5.2" (I hate metric-ification, it's a 318!)
will pull anything at least up to the truck's and the suspension limits.... Probably more even. What would you change the engine TO?
And please don't say 360 or 5.9

A 360 (at least a stock one) won't be enough "more powerful" than that 318 to be worth going thru the motions

Back