• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

bulkhead

The only difference I see in 84 vs 85 is that they started putting that diagnostic connector in the 85s, from what I can tell they are otherwise the same. I have (reluctantly) service manuals in CD form coming for both 84 and 85, 1/2 of the cost of getting paper versions

yup I have a Haynes that goes from 1974-91 and seems to skip 85-86 for wiring harness diagrams... I have another around here somewhere. I think I might get the CDs so I have "something" for both years, I can get both 84 and 85 CDs for about what 1 of either year in paper, and well used condition....

and yeah I know I will have to wade thru the ESA/ ESA with O2 to see what can be cut out and converted to an ECU harness if I wind up fixing the original harness..... I have the 84 one ready to go except those damn fusible links.... I was in O"Wrongleys tonite and they have gray fusible link (only) in a 6" piece, a 3 ft piece and a 6 ft piece but no others... I have been trying to get ahold of Littelfuse at the number on that bulletin that I linked to above and after a week of circle jerk, "follow prompts" "push 1 for this push 2 for that, push 6 for something else and then getting dumped to a voice mail box...…. grrrr…. I had a guy call me back with very broken English that took my Email and is supposed to do some digging.... I never did get to the department I was headed for. seems their options had changed and they forgot to coordinate their "push 1, push 2" menu.... I wound up talking to someone in another department compared to what the phone menu told me to push for what I wanted.
This location is ~2 hours north of me (maybe more as it is right near OHare Airport which is always a cluster f#@K to drive around.... I finally looked the company up on Google and found out tehre is another like an hour the opposite way from me.... I'm off work next week thanks to this COVID crap and it sounds like some dicey weather for a couple of those days, good day for a "field trip"? still looking for the answer to my original question.
2 hours south of O'hare. I have cousin's in the big metropolis of Walnut. I have not much use for the Haynes manual. Great for those that only want to remove and replace parts. But the take it to a qualified facility for repair is just plain irritating. If it can be taken apart it can be fixed

I looked up Walnut IL, that's quite a ways west of me, probably a couple hours away as well.... Definitely a "nicer" part of IL, out past Starved Rock state park....

well I spent the money, got both a 84 and 85 factory service manual on CD, and copied both bulkhead diagrams, just quickly scanned them, and so far the wire positions look the same there.
(Hey, it's almost 1 AM, my eyes are a bit buggy, Ill look at them a lil closer later this morning haha....
A few of the underhood connectors (the plastic pieces) are different between them, but the wiring contained within each bulkhead, seems the same....
I have this 84 harness as ready to go as it can be, without actually mounting it to the truck, as a few of my repairs, I have to have in place so I can cut them back the right length.... including the actual engine portion, a few leads need to be extended, as that harness was for a smallblock, not a /6 like this truck has....
and make my mount bracket for my new fuse box so I can judge the same thing there... how much wire to cut back and where before I splice it all in.

I have the original 85 harness off the truck, now that I have my factory manual and wiring diagrams within, I can open that one up, and delete now un needed wiring that went to the Lean Burn computer, and add in ECU wiring in its place while making needed repairs to that one.... now that I am neck deep into this thing, it appears that MOST damage to original wiring harness is to the engine wiring portion "itself" besides 2 fusible links that would get deleted anyways with my new fuse box..... I must have tossed the original engine portion of the harness from this truck, I have an engine harness from an 85 Ramcharger/// And just like the 84 harness I have, I would have to extend a few wires to adapt for my having a /6 in my truck.... I have the whole 85 Ramcharger harness here that I can rob pigtails, etc from....

well now that I have both 84 and 85 FSM CD's and a pinout of the terminals on the bulkhead, I only see 1 difference between the 2.... On the 85, the terminal on #29 says "Fuel Pacer" (whatever that is?) is an orange wire w/a lt green tracer stripe.
On the 84 terminal #29 is black/yellow tracer, "intermittent wiper" which is listed in a 3rd column (that isn't present on the 85 diagram) that is marked "extra Equip" and on that year, that terminal is checked off..... On both, # 30 to #34 (inclusive) are marked as having something to do with the w/w wipers....so it looks like the 84 bulkhead would be "plug and play" into an 85 truck.

Back