• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

bulkhead

volaredon

Reaction score
I don't have a service manual for either of these years. wiring pins all in same respective locations and same number, in an 84 bulkhead as in an 85 bulkhead?
do all trucks of a given year, have all the possible pins in this series of Dodge truck?
I have an 85, with a junk (hacked/butchered by past owner) wiring harness, have an 84 harness in much better shape, I hope to replace with.

If your discarding all the 85 computer junk the 84 harness should work just fine.

These are all I have scanned already.

Attachments

• 84 Ram Inst Pnl.pdf
    594.1 KB · Views: 283
  • 84 Ram Fuse box.pdf
    634.6 KB · Views: 236
Thanks for that.

But I was more talking about where the pass thru is at the firewall

so then can I ass-ume that the terminals on the outside part of the bulkhead would be the same between the 2 years?
we put an 87 harness in my son's 89 Ramcharger ( as part of a TBI delete) and there a few terminals that are different.... Im tired of hearing "my radio don't work..... but it did before"....

Your going from carb to carb. Just getting rid of the controlling computer. On my 82 went with an 83 engine bay harness and ditched the lean burn. Installed an 83 steering column. Every thing plugged in ok.

Some of us have trucks that span multiple years in just make up alone. So which FSM to buy could get difficult. The years on mine span from 82-89 and would require a minimum of four manuals. Just to cover the basics. So to tell someone to just buy the FSM and be done with it "really".

Your going from carb to carb. Just getting rid of the controlling computer. On my 82 went with an 83 engine bay harness and ditched the lean burn. Installed an 83 steering column. Every thing plugged in ok.
Yup but the biggest reason for the wanting to swap out the harness is that the original one is a hacked up mess/ for what it cost me for the 84 harness, it was easier to just get a different one than to fix the original.
If it was just to get rid of the lean burn I would have just ripped the excess un needed wiring out and called it good.

I wanted the factory ECU. My engine harness is also setup so that nothing on the engine needs to be remove wiring wise. Just unplug from the main harness and pull. So far it has not caused a problem.

yes sir "REALLY". manuals are somewhat expensive but cd's are $25-$35 usually, some more some less. as don said, too bad about swap meets cause most of time 15-20.00 usually will by them.

I saw some of the cd's advertised, don't have a computer in the garage and with all the dust, dirt in the garage don't really want one there, not gonna bring the truck into the family room to work on by the computer

The fun comes from the idea that there's 3 different wiring diagrams for 84 D/W, depends on whether it's ECU, ESA, or ESA w/ O2 feedback - and all show a different bulkhead connector and 2 to 3 pages additional for just the underhood part. So it can take a lot of back n forth to figger out which section really truly applies, and I've run into bits that are incorrect in the FSM too. (Now that part doesn't help)

It's got to be better than the Hays that left an entire section out of the 82-84 harness. Then there are the wire labels that change from one diagram to the next and don't even try to follow wire placement between diagrams.
I learnt a lot about wiring while assembling a 59 Chevy 3200 custom job. Only thing left of the GM electrical was head lights and front turn signals.

yup I have a Haynes that goes from 1974-91 and seems to skip 85-86 for wiring harness diagrams... I have another around here somewhere. I think I might get the CDs so I have "something" for both years, I can get both 84 and 85 CDs for about what 1 of either year in paper, and well used condition....

and yeah I know I will have to wade thru the ESA/ ESA without O2, to see what can be cut out and converted to an ECU harness if I wind up fixing the original harness..... I have the 84 one ready to go except those damn fusible links.... I was in O"Wrongleys tonite and they have gray fusible link (only) in a 6" piece, a 3 ft piece and a 6 ft piece but no others... I have been trying to get ahold of Littelfuse at the number on that bulletin that I linked to above and after a week of circle jerk, "follow prompts" "push 1 for this push 2 for that, push 6 for something else and then getting dumped to a voice mail box...…. grrrr…. I had a guy call me back with very broken English that took my Email and is supposed to do some digging.... I never did get to the department I was headed for. seems their options had changed and they forgot to coordinate their "push 1, push 2" menu.... I wound up talking to someone in another department compared to what the phone menu told me to push for what I wanted.
This location is ~2 hours north of me (maybe more as it is right near OHare Airport which is always a cluster f#@K to drive around.... I finally looked the company up on Google and found out tehre is another like an hour the opposite way from me.... I'm off work next week thanks to this COVID crap and it sounds like some dicey weather for a couple of those days, good day for a "field trip"? still looking for the answer to my original question.

Last edited:
Well, 85 is the only FSM in that era I don't have, never did have one of that exact vintage so can't compare.

Back