• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Arrrggghhhhh!!!

(Wondering if a PO put the 11" flywheel into a 10.5" bell but haven't checked numbers.) Didn't think that was possible, but have never seen a flywheel have to be inserted at an angle either.
I've never had that issue ? Something doesn't sound quite right . :confused: Normally on something like that , I've got the flywheel already on the motor and just mate everything together . Hmmm .

Flywheel will fit in but the starter will not. Are you putting back in what can out?
Yep, exact same parts other than the motor and they're both 360's, just cleaned 'em up some first. Bellhousing will not fit over an installed flywheel - note that I only just tapped on the bell, since it's aluminum if I'd used a larger 'tapper' it may have gone on, but it may also have broken something. This is why I think a PO may have mis(mix)matched some parts in the past.

I'm with you Bear - this is not my preferred method by any means.

Mismatched or not if if was together before it should fit again. Just remember these things where not assembled in the same manner that we often try to make repairs.

Well, I split things at the bell/trans coming apart, then once the engine was out I took things the normal way from the outside in - and I kinda remember the bell needing a tug to free it but I'm not sure. Now when I look at the inside of the bell I can see scratches that match the flywheel teeth so that tells me they scraped on the way off at some point in time. I think the taper of the bell is what let it come over the flywheel on the way off with that tug, but not go back on because I was too reluctant to smack it hard. When I was putting things back together with the flywheel and clutch installed I tried every possible angle and direction and that bell wasn't going on without a fair amount of force. So I undid the clutch and flywheel, put the bell on and then started reassembling the rest of it. I did check the numbers and it's the correct bell for the truck, so I don't know what the deal is.

But on the flip side - I finally got the engine and trans mated and bolted. Another 3 hours or so of fussin' and cussin' managed to make things fall into place, so I snugged up a couple bolts and shut the lights out for tonight.

Mismatched or not if if was together before it should fit again. Just remember these things where not assembled in the same manner that we often try to make repairs.
Key word there , "Should" . How many times have we all said , this "should" work or , this "should" go together like it came out ? Unfortunately it don't always work that way .

Well, I split things at the bell/trans coming apart, then once the engine was out I took things the normal way from the outside in - and I kinda remember the bell needing a tug to free it but I'm not sure. Now when I look at the inside of the bell I can see scratches that match the flywheel teeth so that tells me they scraped on the way off at some point in time. I think the taper of the bell is what let it come over the flywheel on the way off with that tug, but not go back on because I was too reluctant to smack it hard. When I was putting things back together with the flywheel and clutch installed I tried every possible angle and direction and that bell wasn't going on without a fair amount of force. So I undid the clutch and flywheel, put the bell on and then started reassembling the rest of it. I did check the numbers and it's the correct bell for the truck, so I don't know what the deal is.

But on the flip side - I finally got the engine and trans mated and bolted. Another 3 hours or so of fussin' and cussin' managed to make things fall into place, so I snugged up a couple bolts and shut the lights out for tonight.
Glad to hear you got everything back together . Sometimes what should be the easiest or quickest things can give you such a hard time and seem to take forever . I call them Mondays . lol

Ahh, the excess spare part inventory. Hopefully that will not be an issue but I make no guarantees. If I get energetic today I may go back out and hit it again.

Now if we can just figure out why they put 7 Mondays in a week.
lol ! I've always said that there should be a law against having so many Monday's in one week . Cheer up your not alone on that one . lol

Back