• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Arrrggghhhhh!!!

Polara_500

Reaction score
Once again my ability to extend any little project to a major, time eating fiasco is biting me in the butt. A few years ago I picked up a rust free but somewhat battered 87 W250 with a 360/NP435 for a veritable song. As is usual with these deals come the "small" fixes that are required to bring the vehicle to a desirable status. When I attempted, ~ 2 years ago to fix an annoying exhaust leak, the "small, easy" fix that I was attempting snowballed entirely out of control...... :wacky: Of course the exhaust manifold on the passenger side had a broken stud so that had to be corrected to allow the new gasket to seal effectively. Also of course, the broken stud resisted all efforts to remove said stud while the engine was intact elsewise, leaving the obvious course of action to remove the offended cylinder head so that it could make a journey to the local machinist for treatment. This part actually went well, it was on removal that one was able to see the imprints of valve heads upon the top surface of a couple of pistons. For some reason that sight did not imbue me with large amounts of confidence that the engine would survive very long with only new gaskets involved. So, about a year and a half ago the abused engine was removed so that it may be replaced with a recently rebuilt engine that became available about then. Needless to say this was not/has not been my only endeavor over the past 2 years and several other projects have come and gone, some of which have actually been completed while others have progressed well enough to call intermittent stages adequate to allow returning said items to service until further efforts are required. Be that as it may, this poor W250 has lingered in the shop with minimal work completed in the meantime but I have just this past week recommenced work on it. Due to the lapsed time involved here and the fact that the area around the truck has not been undisturbed, I seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time attempting to locate various necessary items, most recent of which is the transmission to bellhousing bolts - I found 2, but for some reason the other 2 have migrated to some obscure spot that eludes me. Minor, yes..........Trivial, yes........... Irritating and effectively stifling any semblance of speed in finishing this project, HE** YES.

Okay, that's now off my chest and I feel better, now I'm heading to the parts store to dig through the bolt bins....... :banghead:

Mike

Take it you have looked all the obvious places. Some times things just grow legs and run away or camouflage themselves so well they are impossible to find.
If like normal around here they will appear after you no longer need them.

Don't worry, as soon as you tighten the last bolt, you'll turn around and they will be staring you in the face. At least that's how it works for me.

Yeah, that's how I anticipate it ending, just a bit frustrated yesterday. It is a good thing I'm seldom in a hurry.

lol ! Gee , I thought this only happened to me ? Except in my case , after looking everywhere and anywhere countless times . It normally ends with me yelling , HONEY where's the .......... ? And she comes in and say's , What , this part ? and hands me a baggie that she clearly marked with what it went too . o_O

LOL - My wife only (and always) does this to me in the house. She very rarely sets foot in the shop, so there's no way I can expect that kind of help from her out there. (May well be the reason she stays out.)

Like I said, there's more than one project ongoing at any given time, got some proof of the mess here.
DSCN4008.JPG

Not a horrible ding in the piston, but enough that I'd not be comfortable leaving it that way......
DSCN4014.JPG

That engine looks kinda lost in there, not sure why, not really much different than the other ones.
DSCN4010.JPG

I which my shop was only that mesy. Since becoming self-employed it has become a stash all. I really need to build some storage.

I wish my "shop" was that big! I can barely fit my 2 cars in the garage with the misc crap I have.

LOL - My wife only (and always) does this to me in the house. She very rarely sets foot in the shop, so there's no way I can expect that kind of help from her out there. (May well be the reason she stays out.)
I guess I'm lucky . She's a gear head , knows more about cars then she cares to admit and help's me out in the shop whenever I need it , even with customers rides . She draws the line though with anything to do with autobody work . She tells me I'm on my own when it comes to that . lol

I wish my "shop" was that big! I can barely fit my 2 cars in the garage with the misc crap I have.
You and me both ! People can't believe what I get done in my two car . One of these days I'll get a bigger shop .

Finally got back on it today and after several hours I can report zero progress...... :depressed: Can't seem to get the transmission lined up properly. Had to quit before I started throwing things - can't find stuff as it is. Maybe tomorrow, or maybe I'll leave it alone for another 3 weeks before I try again.

Would be nice if the tunnel was still removable. I have always preferred supporting transmissions from the top as opposed to using a jack.
Infact the last 4 wheel drive we put a trans and transfer in we removed the front clip and cab in one piece just so we would not have to fight them under the truck.

I think that might have been faster....... but it's always more awkward trying to do it with the engine/bell swinging and trying to line that up to the tranny. The tranny/transfer case actually is pretty solidly in place but swinging the engine around isn't easy solo even tho I've got a near ideal setup to do it with a gantry and chain hoist rather than a cherry picker.

Use to hang engines from a tree off a chain hoist and push the vehicle under it. But still the best method for big rigs was to hang it from a backhoe bucket.

Ok , I'm confused ( easily done sometimes lol ) . Are you trying to put the engine in or the transmission ? Or both ?

Not to worry, I'm in a perpetual state of confusion. I'm replacing the engine, left the tranny and transfer case in the truck. Has a weird bellhousing that won't fit over the flywheel with it in place, have to wiggle it in after the bell is in place so that doesn't help at all. (Wondering if a PO put the 11" flywheel into a 10.5" bell but haven't checked numbers.) Didn't think that was possible, but have never seen a flywheel have to be inserted at an angle either.

Not to worry, I'm in a perpetual state of confusion. I'm replacing the engine, left the tranny and transfer case in the truck. Has a weird bellhousing that won't fit over the flywheel with it in place, have to wiggle it in after the bell is in place so that doesn't help at all. (Wondering if a PO put the 11" flywheel into a 10.5" bell but haven't checked numbers.) Didn't think that was possible, but have never seen a flywheel have to be inserted at an angle either.
Flywheel will fit in but the starter will not. Are you putting back in what can out?

Back