• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Anyone still use a CB in their rig?

uhhh nahhhhhh I'll be changing the one thats on it for a 52 OHMS one, I have one that has the same matching base mount as the Military one so..... that is 52 OHMS!!!!! and I think its a foot longer too!

I will show you mine!
PICT0784.JPG
Nothing on the w150, yet

The movie Smokey and the bandit did a big boost to them in the day. If you are at a truck stop just ask a trucker he will love to show it off like a status symbol with them.

Actually it might just be that movies like that added to the DOWNfall of CB in some ways. There were a hell of a lot of idiots jumped on the bandwagon, with, really, "nothing to say."

Unfortunately CB (history) was a great idea in the wrong spot. It should NEVER have been established on 27 mhz, because of skip. But in 59? when it was created, radio technology to build inexpensive, workable transceivers for some vhf -- which was already headed for overload -- or uhf was just not there.

I just picked up a car that hasn't been on the road since 2008 . This is what's mounted on the floor . I haven't figured out yet whether it's a phone or a CB . Anybody got any ideas ?
IMG_4537.JPG

The top one is a cb, I'm guessing the bottom is one of those new fangled cellaholuer phones.

I just found out about ten minutes ago . It's a CB , a Phone , and a Police scanner . It turns out the previous owner was a crime scene photographer before he passed away . That's why he had this stuff .

Honestly , I'm not sure what I'm going to do with any of it yet . I've been thinking of putting a good battery back in the car and try seeing what works and what doesn't . It "should" all work since he was driving the car right up until he passed away but I want to make sure . Once I know everything works then I'm definitely going to pull it all out before I get rid of the car it's self . Which will be real soon , before the snow starts flying . But what to do with this stuff after I pull it out , Like I said I'm not sure . Hell , I don't even know what any of it is worth . So if I sell it ,I don't have a clue yet on what I'd ask for it .

I think if I was just sitting around since 2008 , I'd be pretty dusty too ! lol I'll probably rag it off and blow it out after I get everything out .

Honestly , I'm not sure what I'm going to do with any of it yet . I've been thinking of putting a good battery back in the car and try seeing what works and what doesn't . It "should" all work since he was driving the car right up until he passed away but I want to make sure . Once I know everything works then I'm definitely going to pull it all out before I get rid of the car it's self . Which will be real soon , before the snow starts flying . But what to do with this stuff after I pull it out , Like I said I'm not sure . Hell , I don't even know what any of it is worth . So if I sell it ,I don't have a clue yet on what I'd ask for it .

Hey you were top poster in Oct your rich! LOL
I will give you beer and shipping!

It's been awhile since I was on the site and seen this older thread. I still have and occasionally use my radio from time to time.
20160410_074716_HDR.jpg

Make sure the antenna is 52 ohm, most military used lower ohms.

Not so. Military antenna impedance is 50 ohms (not 52) just like CB's are. The difference is the antenna. The length and loading coil (if it has one) cause the antenna to be resonant (low SWR) in the CB band

Whoever said the cell phone killed the cb is pretty much right on but their are still some who like to play, including me. I don't have a CB installed at the current time but I do have a ham radio as I'm a licensed amateur. I use to run a service van for Hyster forklifts in St. Louis and a cb was very useful to monitor traffic. I've noticed some groups that go on cruises together use cb's. I don't think they'll ever die but they'll certainly never be what they were in the 70's.

Someone also mentioned them being useful if tshtf. They might be but their so limited in range I think amateur radio will be much more useful. I can turn my 2m rig on in the truck and talk 30-40 miles to another static free. Cb's won't even come close to that unless you have a megawatt linear and that takes a lot of energy to run

We some times use two trucks at work wish the other had one. Still legal on the road the phone isn't. We are never but a few miles apart and in areas that loose phone service. Also NWS and dont have to read it.
I use to skip with the right weather conditions 100s of miles away with just a short mag mount.

That Stryker unit is sweet looking. I find we are in many situations while offroading where a phone is impossible yet the CB works perfectly. I don't think they should be counted out just yet. Ham is a pain in the butt in my opinion and many offroaders are convinced they're the way. I guess I just don't like tests.

Yea when in between two mountains radio to radio does not need to go over the range to some far off tower.

Back