• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

86 D150 318 to 440

yes, its got it on driver side fender !? ... how can i void it nd install da ProComp ignition set up !?

I can't remember its been over 10 maybe closer to 15 years since I had to do it... My current truck had an MSD on it when I got it.... SO.

HEY Bear or Mob, need some input guys!!!!! LOL I'm not help with that one!

A Pertronix 3 would be an easier swap. Have never tried one but many sware by it.
I would think with any change to the ignition the carb will have to be changed also as the computer box controls both.
Also the lean burn system was a air cleaner mount app what you have is a more advanced primitive system.

its an 86 D150,318 truck, .. it has what appears to be a computer on da inner driver fender, distributor does NOT have a vacum advance, carb has one connector which appears to be for da A/C when its ON it accelerates a bit. so it possible to upgrade to HEI nd void da computer !?

The lean burn system has no weights inside the distributor. It also has a box hanging off the drivers side (I think, it's been awhile) of the air cleaner, you can't miss it. It also has a sticker saying Lean Burn on it originally. If you replace the distributor and also add the MSD box, you bypass the factory ignition. You still use the box on the firewall or wherever it is in a truck. The MSD instructions tell you what you need to use. U did it a long time ago in an 82 New Yorker and it was great, I also swapped to a 4 barrel carb and intake. The car wouldn't run much the same as you described above.

Last edited:
I'd replace the carb if you can, and intake. I had lean burn on an 84 Fifth Avenue that worked great. It was owned by a priest and he must have put one heck of a blessing on the car!

I'd replace the carb if you can, and intake. I had lean burn on an 84 Fifth Avenue that worked great. It was owned by a priest and he must have put one heck of a blessing on the car!

so if i install da ProComp ignition set up(distributor,coil,Box), da original stock computer is STILL gonna be connected nd functioning !? .. i thought that computer was causing my problem ??

What does the instructions say? Should tell you what you need to use. You may need to splice into certain wires.

I just looked at the instructions real quick on Google and it looks like a standard MSD install. Power, keyed power, ground, coil and distributor. Not sure about the trigger (I looked at one fuzzy picture). The car I have one installed on is 10 miles away from me. On top of that my internet is on the fritz.

just ordered parts today so im waiting on parts nd see how its gonna go down !? i've install on older cars that did NOT have da computer so i'll have to see how this one its gonna turn out !?

This is not a lean burn system. But an early HEI system thete are differences in the systems. You may lose function of the dash guages if the computer box is completely disconnected. If functioning correctly the existing distributor should not need to be replaced it should trigger what ever system you decide to use. You will need something that will monotor basic engine functions and adjust the timing accordingly.
Check with what ever supplier you decide to buy from to varify what is need not to void their warranty. If you were planning on buying anything used make sure it works and complete before paying fot it.

HEI, eh? I'm no good then. I just have old stuff with the brain box on the firewall. Sounds like 7mopar is the go to guy.

I'm with Mob. I'm no help either I have old stuff on my truck too but mine is 20 miles away currently at my Step-Sons, and its all MSD, and I think that does run through the box on the firewall, but by passes the one on the fender.... -ALMOST sure of it, but then again, I'm useless when it comes to HEI stuff.....

7mopar sounds as tho he's the guy to help ya!

Back