• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

86 D150 318 to 440

All you need is engine mounts off any big block truck from 78 and older. RV mounts won't work, either. My friend put a 440 in his 86 with headers from the truck he got the 440 from, so I'm no help there, but they make them aplenty. I got some off Craigslist a long time ago for my build ('72), nothing special painted black.

Or spend a bunch of money and get Schumacher Creative Services mounts for $160 or something. I'd think a little hunting of junkyards might save some money. You can always try car-part.com and see what turns up.

-He'd still need a bigger radiator tho. I had a friend and someone else I recall reading about as well had issues with running a big block on a small block radiator!

Mounts are a given! Which you'd be right, he'd save money by going to a yard and yanking them, himself, BUT then again, if he wants to save time and aggravation, just buy the set from some rep-able aftermarket place to get going on the swap! -Not sure where he is, BUT, there may not be any good "yards" close to getting anything from in this manner due to some place (like me, locally) can't get the parts for that specific truck or year/whatever (ALL my local places have NOTHING older then 2005 in them!)

Yep you'd be lucky! That damned "Cash for Clunkers" bullshit KILLED any of that around here. Even YARDS were haulin' in cars & trucks that were near "whole".... Having their freakin' workers do it for a commission to their pay! As if I remember right, "businesses" couldn't but they could get employees too.... And then sadly, from where I'm originally from, you can get a truck like mine or close for $1,500, and anything in worse condition the price drops.... Around where I live now? SHIT, I was L-U-C-K-Y to get the '67 for what I did as I just seen a '85 Power Ram, with more rust then a Texas sitting '34 Paddy Wagon in an open field! And they still were tryin to get $4,800 FIRM on it! -I have to be honest, I'ma Dodge guy, and I don't think I'da gave $480 CASH for that same truck it needed both rocker panels, BOTH cab corners, bed sides were SHOT, and from a quick walk around, the frame looked like toast too.... I've seen better rigs for a lot less money, else where, BUT, by God the guy tryin' to sell it said the engine ran, but couldn't get 'er to crank over (dead or well dying battery) oil was supposedly just changed, and he went on and on.....Tires were about the only good part of that truck, really and they were slightly used too.... I MIGHT have given the guy $500 for all 5 (FIVE) tires if they were all matching..... But the truck? wasn't worth the gas it took to go drive to see it!

SO I know if they are asking that, for that Power Ram, I KNOW I can get $7,500 for mine! LOL

When you start the swap please take some pic's for those of us that like to follow along with your project.

Big Block in a D series not a problem, Like mentioned B4 mounts, Trans., Drive shaft, front springs maybe and a, Big Ass Rad. with a pusher and puller setup. headers are doable if you want I believe you can use a mid 90's dak starter for some more header clearance. that is about all I can think of right now. If your going for a hot rod get some shumacher poly mounts, harder and you will feel the cam more but, they are stronger.

---update--- just acquire a 73 Indian Winnebago, 53K original miles, its a 413 wedge though ... im planning on dropping that into da 86 D150, thinkin some head work, 3angle valve job,new springs,seals, locks .. etc, 270 maybe 290 cam, headers, edelbrock 770 cfm carb,edelbrock dual plane intake, do motor mounts work on my D86 !? its got a weird looking water pump. how im i doing so far !?

That 413 is gonna be a real PITA..... I'ma full-on Mopar guy, and that 413 is an industrial engine! I have a 383 just like it! You'll need to replace the heads FIRST THING..... As those heads are in fact water cooled, and to that, you'll also need to get a RB "standard" water pump! The Water pump to the Industrial 413, is HUGE and sits really high on the engine, and connects right to the heads!!!! Once you change the heads, the intake you mentioned on getting WILL work, BUT that same intake WILL NOT bolt up to the heads that came with that engine! Also you'll won't be able to just bolt normal manifolds to that engine the exhust runners in the head are different and that makes the bolt pattern also different from those heads to a regular set of 440 heads!!!

IF it were me? I'd put Mopar 915 440 heads on that block, with a little massage on them and then you'd be able to go with everything else you've got planned!

Shopping List?

440 Water pump,
440 "915" or if you can find "906" heads (The 915 are closed Chambered, to make your Compression HIGHER, the 906's tho breathe better as they have bigger valves!)
440 or even 383 exhaust manifolds, UNLESS your going headers
Intake to fit Mopar "RB" Big block of your choice,
Carburetor of choice to the intake,
Motor mounts.

Small block radiator still? GET A big Block radiator in that truck or you'll over heat that engine very quickly in short order! Specially in hot weather!

thanks, 67powerwagon, yes i already have an RB water pump and da thicker aluminum radiator, and YES would love to get headers on this baby, would headers for a B body work !?
** thinkin on gettin A/C on this baby !? what u think with da set up im planning.

NEEDED PARTS !!
915 0r 906 heads
headers 86 D150 W/413 BB
413 BB motor mounts 2wd
A/C brackets nd compressor

if anyone has this parts on a decent price PM me pls .. thanks ..

Well man, your best bet, to get "headers" is either TTi or I'd even say Schumacher, Tri-Y (they're GREAT!) The Tri-Y headers would fit ANYTHING as long as you change the heads that 413 came with, the industrial 413, has an odd-ball head, low compression pull yer freakin house down torque..... BUT you can get more out of that block then it has right now as far as HP goes....

The 440 heads, STAY AWAY from the 516's RB heads (too low compression!) 915 or 906 heads be your best choices, OR you can go aftermarket heads topo, (MOST of the aftermarket heads will bolt right up too, and those if it were me and I had the cash? I'd go Edelbrock High Performance 440 heads, closed chambered heads (remember the closed chamber heads raise your compression, and in that engine as it, I bet its around 8 to 1, maybe even lower (I can't remember) BUT I know its REALLY low for a stock street engine used in a camper. my '67 Power Wagon W200 has a 383 built much the same way as that 413, but its Military order so.... Mine however, is stock as ordered I've not changed anything on it.... But it would pull my house down if I had a chain long enough to wrap around it LOL I thought about what your doing and let me tell ya, the heads and intake you have on that 413 were built to last, and it was made for down right torque power....

You go an build that 413, the intake and heads it came with hae to go.... the intake bolts up to the heads with a one-off bolt pattern, just like my 383. Your 413 is a RB block, and my 383 is a B block, so I couldn't use the intake you have but the heads I could, (bolt pattern should be the same thing, but angle in which the intake bolts to the heads would be different due to the 2 blocks different deck height. Thats why, you can't use just "anything" and try to piece it all back together, you really need to rebuild the whole top end of that 413 to do it right.....

And if it were me, I'd give that block a good "once over", if your going this far with it, a total look over would not hurt! Check ALL the oil passages, (clean them out if needed,) and then check the bottom end, oil pick up, CLEAN IT OUT, all new seals, and check the crank bearings.... as well as the main seals specially the rear one! Do you have a garage or machine shop close by? I'd strip that whole block and have it sonic'd too, to make sure its "solid" and worth your time and money.... I know several people that didn't and paid dearly in the end....

I didn't mention A/C, I'm not sure what Cam you 413 has in it, but you'd have to have a pretty mild one to run A/C, as you'd need the vacuum that it create to run the A/C right.......
I'm not real sure on that one! (My Wife hates my truck as it doesn't have A/C in it at all), and in the winter she loves it as it gets warmer air then the car, for whatever reason but the heater in the thing will run ya outside in the cold to cool off! LOL (I like it on the floor of the truck) keeps the feet warm in the winter and I have found, that if you have warm air hitting the floor it in my old truck keeps the snow and ice from building up on the back side of the front wheel wells outside! Melts it or simply doesn't "stick" so.....

I never seen A/C on a Mopar Industrial engine come to think of it, guys is it even possible? Or was the engine just made not to have it but could if done right?

2 things 67PW, the 516 heads are a closed chamber head, they have small valves though. I got a set with a 66 440 I got, my first 440. They need larger seats and valves installed for more performance.

Second (I'm not 100% on this, but I thought you could get A/C with an industrial engine. I was looking at a truck to turn into a ramp truck and it had the 413 and there was a big old compressor drivers side, front of the engine. Unless it was a PTO but it looked much like an A/C compressor. I'll see if I still have the pics.

Sorry Scott, BUT the 516's are OPEN chambered heads! LOL We had this discussion a while ago.... I WAS going to use a set on the '67 that my Step-Son found in good shape, but weren't what I was looking for! The 915's I believe were thee only Mopar RB closed chambered heads made! -I was gonna swap the heads and intake to do much the same as chargerz is doing.....The 516's were mostly found on the 383 one..... and to "spot" them, they have a water jacket "plug" in the corners..... in the front. They're thee only Mopar heads to have that water jacket plug..... The rest don't!

As for the A/C, I'm not sure........... it would really depend on the cam in the engine!

That 413 you mentioned, you sure that wasn't a air compressor for air brakes? As I know they did that, BUT I'm not sure they offered an industrial engine with A/C.....

Donor motorhome .. Fired up today, don't sound too bad ...

KIMG0333.JPG

KIMG0353.JPG

Real good possibility the tourqe converter is studded to the crankshaft.
You cutting the front off or dropping it out the bottom?

Yep. Industrial 413. that motor was built to last my friend! Take care of it, it will see your grand kids GREAT service! Thats an RB block make that a B block and you have what my 383 looks like!

have a concern !? truck currently has da 318.. my son drives it to school for now till we get all da parts needed to drop da BB, BUT its not running right !? it starts fine but when ur driving down da road either slow or high speeds it looses power to a scritchin hault !? was wondering nd heard about da LEAN BURN !? could that be da problem !? changed da rotor cap, timing chain, fuel pump, distributor, spark plugs, rebuild carb,.. nd it still doing it .. help someone !? ..

Was wondering if I just install this set up from proComp Nd get away with lean burn, .. Has any one don't this !?

KIMG0359.JPG

Does it still have the factory ignition box on the firewall or on the inner fender well? -Those damn things were known for that!

Back