• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

77 W200 Front locking hub conversion

RKNRLR

Reaction score
HI Guys, Im looking to install a mile marker transfer case conversion kit, should be going in over thext couple days. I got a set of front locking hubs with the kit, just wondering if there are any additional/alternative pieces I will need to adapt the locking hubs to the front axle? I know the late 70's trucks had the AWD transfer case, so no locking hubs. Is there maybe a conversion from a later year truck after they went back to part-time 4WD?

Any help much appreciated!

export1665031383901.jpg

export1665031380140.jpg

export1665031390967.jpg

I think it's a fairly straightforward install. Been years since I looked at a kit, I may still have one I got for my '72, but the axles I was going to swap in got used and the replacement axles I got already have them installed. I'll see if I can't find them, and see what the instructions say.

Much appreciated. I was just wondering if I need any other parts because of the full-time 4wd system in these trucks in the late 70's. Thought maybe I might need to swap part of the hubs/knuckles/bearings for an earlier/later part-time system component.

Any help much appreciated.

The lock outs should do all the work of freeing up the axle shafts/hubs in the front axle.

Just an update here for anyone else looking to do the same conversion.

The 75-79 fulltime D44 axle will need the following parts swapped to complete the Part time 4x4 conversion,
- Front knuckles
- Spindles
- Wheel hubs
- Outer stub shafts

these can be taken from an 80-93 D44 axle, straight bolt on. They are also able to be swapped in from a Ford or Chevy from the same era, even the in-house 10-bolt jobs.
These later models (part time 4x4) have the wheel hubs that stick out through the wheel, where the locking hubs will attach. the fulltime hubs do not, and therefore, must be swapped out. I have been on the hunt for these parts from several wreckers, and there is some availability out there, only problem being that Im on the other side of the world, and most yards want to move entire axles rather than wrench totake them apart. Maybe not a bad option for you guys stateside, but I suppose Ill have to keep scrounging to find the parts I need.

Hope this helps.

Okay what side of the vehicle is the drive shaft to the front axle on. Or was this purchased north of the equator?

truck came in from Colorado in August. Its staying left hand drive.

Back