• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

6 pack

68gtx

Reaction score
will a 6 pack setup with factor air cleaner fit under the hood on an 81 truck?

You should have a ton of room under there . I'm thinking of going with a duel quad next year under the hood of my 79 .

Np. This is a friend of mines 440 six pack in an 80 Ramcharger.
Joe's Engine.jpg

Joe's Engine.jpg

View attachment 2972
Wow , What a "clean" install Indy ! I'd love to see more of that one . May I ask , what headers is he using and how do they fit ? The headers that came with my Warlock have clearance issues around some of the plugs and I'll be shopping for another set this winter . By the way , how's your killer step side coming ?

Wow ! Between the rear bumper and the front one you have your going to get them both coming "and" going ! lol I'd appreciate any input on the headers . I've got mine so they "just" clear the plugs but there still to close to the plugs for my comfort and it's been a while since I've done a big block truck and I can't remember weather I used hooker or headman on my last one . I also apologize to "68GTX" . It's just that I'm into all things Mopar and my question might not only help myself but someone else and "secret indy" knows how to build some NICE trucks . I wouldn't mind seeing how "your" truck is coming along either . Pictures , hint , hint . lol

Talked to him today and he said his headers are TTI. Hope this helps you out.
Yeh, tryin to get my crap together and get a build thread started.

Thanks "secret indy" . I'll check into those . I'd love to check out a build thread and I know what it's like sometimes trying to get one started . With me , Progress is so slow on my Warlock that at this point I'm just trying to remember to bring the camera out when I do get a chance to go out and work on it .

View attachment 2972

its not looking like its gonna fit on my smallblock, air filter housing doesn't clear wiper motor, I have a diff wiper motor on my parts truck, which orients the motor the same way as the one in the picture, but it still doesn't clear. I think on the smallblock the engine is set back further..but the wiper motor in the picture does look smaller around in the electric motor end than mine. any ideas what he used for a wiper motor???

To me , It look's like a stock early 80"s wiper motor . It look's like the same one that's in my 84 and "should" be the same one that's in your 81 .

Sorry been outta town for a few days for work. I'll see what I can find out for you. He's a busy guy so might take a day or two to track him down.

Sorry for the delay. He can't remember exactly what year it is but it's from between an 87-91 ram. He talked to Bouchillon Performance and that was their recommendation. Hope this helps.

Talked to him today and he said his headers are TTI. Hope this helps you out.
Yeh, tryin to get my crap together and get a build thread started.

tti doesn't make truck headers? i have heard tti headers for a b body fit a 440 in our trucks.. do you know what he used specifically and if he retained the auto column shift mechanisms?

tti doesn't make truck headers? i have heard tti headers for a b body fit a 440 in our trucks.. do you know what he used specifically and if he retained the auto column shift mechanisms?
I couldn't find TTI headers either . From what I was told , they did but they stopped . But that didn't make any sense to me . I've got a new set of killer Hooker B Body headers and I tried them when I was getting the motor ready for my truck , but no way they would fit . There's a couple of brands that have big block truck headers and I must have sent back three or four sets because there was issues with "all" of them . I finally ended up keeping one of the Hooker sets and working with those . I'll tell yah , The truck I got now isn't my first Big Block swap into one of these trucks and the quality control of these companies have really dropped over the years . Even the one's I kept , I wasn't really happy with but they where the lesser of all the evil's .

i got a set of headmans gonna slip it all together and see how they fit the chassis , sprakplug boot clearance is an issue , its real tight

i got a set of headmans gonna slip it all together and see how they fit the chassis , sprakplug boot clearance is an issue , its real tight
You can say that again with the Headmans . I had gotten a set of those when I was building my Warlock . When I took them out of the box , I really liked the design and they looked great . But a lot of the tube's ran way to close to the plugs for my taste . I think one or two of them ran "right in front" of the plug hole's on the set that I had got . Hopefully the set you got is better then the one's I got . When it come's down to it , I blame quality control on stuff like that . I sent back three or four sets of various brands before I settled on the Hookers I have and I really don't care a whole lot for these . But it was the lesser of all the evil's and I wanted my truck road ready . Just a lil heads up . If your engine is still on the stand , now would be the best time to index the tubes for clearance . It's a lot easier then pulling them in and out of the engine bay . Or another thing you can do , is dry fit the block and the headers in the truck to check for header to chassis clearance and then just pull the motor back out since it'll be still hooked up to the hoist and then do any modification's . Just my two cents .

thats pretty much what i was gonna do , slide motor in and fit headers, then pull it back out , thinking of denting the tubes for plug clearance and then sending them out to be ceramic coated..

Or just pull the front clip and have plenty of room. I tried installing the headers first on the 82 but the collectors would not clear the frame even on the 360. If I remember right had to raise one side to feed them threw to clear the frame with the engine installed.

thats pretty much what i was gonna do , slide motor in and fit headers, then pull it back out , thinking of denting the tubes for plug clearance and then sending them out to be ceramic coated..
I don't know how many headers you've had to do this too . But how I index the tubes is , I mark where there's going to be an issue and I have a solid piece of steel pipe . I heat up the spot I marked with a torch , put the pipe across the tube and hit it with a good size hammer . It just comes out a little neater that way . A lot of people just hammer the crap out of the tubes and in turn the headers end up looking like crap . Hope this helps .

Or just pull the front clip and have plenty of room. I tried installing the headers first on the 82 but the collectors would not clear the frame even on the 360. If I remember right had to raise one side to feed them threw to clear the frame with the engine installed.
That pretty much sounds like most of the cars and trucks I've had headers on . lol They never seemed to just slide in , do they ? Something's always in the way .

Back