• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1985 Dodge W150 fun!

hotskins

Reaction score
As promised I am going to start a restoration thread. I started with the "easy" stuff. I need to fix and make safe the suspension. First the front. Home made lift kit - check. Shocks... who needs them? Well at least that's the previous owners thought. I guess. I have put on the correct shackles and shock in the front so far. Boss lady made me come in and get cleaned up. I only had to make one trip to the parts store! On the drivers side there was no bolt to mount the top of the shock to. 8 bucks at oreillys and done. Here are a couple of pics from the start of the fun. I wasn't smart enough to take an after pic. I get it later.

Driver side (a).jpg

Driver side (b).jpg

Passengers side (a).jpg

Passengers side (c).jpg

Not sure what some people think when they do things like that other than it looks cool so it has got to be ok.

I would agree. It reminds me of the kid on the Simpson's that would jump up and say "look what I can do!" Well, the front is fixed now. On to the rear, where this kid put two lift blocks between the axle and leaf springs. That was fun. I have never put in or removed a block before. Managed to walk away with just a small wound where I pinched my finger. The extra block is now out and all I need is the correct size U bolts. I don't think having 3.5 inches hanging below the axle is good. One more run to the parts store! The stance on the truck looks a lot better now. ( last two pics )

Rear lift (a).jpg

Rear lift (b).jpg

Rear lift (c).jpg

ram (a).jpg

ram (b).jpg

But but those huge over size go no where tires will not fit now. Yes looks lots better now. No more need for the boat rope ladder to get in and out.

So last night I was looking at the truck thinking f*#k I didn't center the rear axle. The passengers tire is sticking out more than the drivers side. After some choice words that only Sailors and Prostitutes know! I found out that the rims that are on the pick up have two different offsets. By sheer chance I got one side right and the other not so much. Glad I found that before I started tearing stuff apart.:joyful:

Now on to my electrical wet dream. Not really, more like a nightmare. look at what fun I'm going to have. My ol' lady's only comment was " at least their labeled."

So does anyone know where I can get the wiring from. I have done some research, but not a lot. I have found some wires. I'm trying to get as close to factory as possible. I know what color and sizes I need. Just don't know a good place to get them yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Electrical (a).jpg

Electrical (b).jpg

Electrical (c).jpg

If the wires are the right size or larger the looks maybe worse than things appear. The question would be does everything function as it should. If so just wrap it up.

If anything worked, I would make it look as pretty as I could and be done. But nothing works. Well I am able to start and drive the truck, but it doesn't charge the battery so I have to jump it.. I will keep what I can, but when you have alligator clips on wires to connect one to another, that is no good.

Newb questions here... Before I start breaking stuff (Hulk Smash!) how do you get the wires out of the 40 way bulkhead connector? (engine side) I have a service manual but I haven't found where it tells how, or if it even does. I needs to take the wires out and make sure they are good, no cuts or anything like that. Then run them the way I want them. That way all the wiring will look clean. Thanks for any help

I was able to disconnect the connector from the fire wall, but I don't know how to get the wires from the connector. i will try to post a picture of the connector tonight when i get home from work. thanks

Squeeze the male post and pull from the wire side. They should slide right out when disconnect. You may have to spread the post a little to get it to lock back into the block.

1600128933334.png

They should be packard 56 terminals like these and like 7Mopar said pinch and pull the wire out

Well, I checked the connector, and I don't have those type of terminls in it. I know the pictures I took don't show them, but they are solid.

Au Contraire Mon Frere.......... I believe you do indeed have that type terminal although the wire end is coated. The opening seen above is actually below the surface of the connector block you're holding. I think I see the "split" down the length of the terminal which means it is the same even though you can't actually see it now.

This is the type of terminal in the plug. I dont know if I got it out the correct way, but I get this one out. I was also able to put it nack in and it locks.
Screenshot_20200916-181932_Gallery.jpg

Now is there a correct way to remove these, or just pushing with a pair of needle nose the correct way. Thanks

I slide the nail file on my Swiss Army down the lock side to release them. Got to do it from the back side though. Not sure if that is the right way but it worked for me.

Back