• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1981 d 150 fuel tank question

Dan Brooks

Reaction score
How would I find out what size gas tank the truck came with? the one in it currently is not the original one. The truck was an old state vehicle from west Virginia and it came with a slant six four speed. this is driving me crazy in that nothing fits under it. It's a stepside as well. Even if I could find a good used one i'd be happy but there impossible to locate, any thoughts???

My son has the same thing only an 80 model. Last year of that body style, yours is 1st of the new body style.
He needs a gas tank badly as well.
Interchange says 81-87, and being a short bed would be a 20 gallon tank. I got him one from an 84 that he swears will not fit the 80 recently he said he did some checking and he's gonna have to get the cross member out of the 81&up supposedly, I haven't looked at it yet myself.
Some long bed trucks had a 30 gallon tank won't fit in yours for sure.

does he know the part number hes looking for? I got a tank with the truck and it's not the right one for it. That tank he has is exactly what i'm looking for. Your right, the one i need can be out of a 81-87 setpside only.

no, not "stepside only" one from any 81-87 short bed should work for you, , the "stepside only" parts would be the filler neck which you should have. SOME long beds had the same tank while other long beds had a 30 gallon tank.
the one I have came from an 84 short bed I saw the truck it came from.
I guess if I had the cross member from the 84 with the straps (which the damn junkyards always cut) and swapped it from the one in the 80 that this tank I have would work in the 80 from what I have seen. what is the tank you have? do you know what it came from? from what I have checked out, I need one from a 79 or an 80 "only" to fit exactly without taking a cross member from an 81-87, to make this tank work in the 80. I wish I had access to the factory parts book I used to have free rein of....

I hope this isnt thought of as "bad" here but in the "trucks" section of "Moparts" I had a thread where I asked the difference between the tanks. I saw a pic someone else posted in that thread with the 2 side by side, and from that, I didnt see anything preventing the 84 tank from going in the 80 but by the rear most strap I guess that the 84 tank is squared off where the one he needs is "45'd off".... (going by what my kid has told me, when he tried to put the 84 tank in the 80)
Around here I see a decent number of 81+ Dodge trucks in the boneyards, so yours should be more available.... not so 80 and older in my area.
The sending units are different too,,,, but wired up the same, either should work the gauge properly in either truck.

I still have the junkyard reciept from this 84 tank, they charged me $80 for it..... ID trade someone straight up for the right tank I need.... I need to look up your town and see how far. I am gonna be in Ohio in Aug., I really want this truck operational before then...... if all else fails we could swap then. Im gonna be in the Sandusky-Norwalk area when I go.
I live 1 hr south of Chicago. If you had what I need maybe we could meet up somewhere within Indiana and trade? just a thought.... I have 2 possibilities closer to me that I am checking on closer to here, to see if I can find something. I was all over southern IL (had a wake to go to) plus Cape Girardeau MO and Paducah KY last week and saw so many random backyards with 10+ Chevy POS' each, sprawled about. I did see some 80s Dodges in the yards I was in.....
this 80 is my son's, I have an 85 long bed D150 myself, that I am working on. found mine sitting, had been for many years before it was mine. so lots of repairs related to that. lots of "previous owner interference" on the wiring harness, that + a completely clogged cat were the 2 biggest issues with it when I got it. unsure what direction I want to go with mine, have several ideas.
my son overpaid for his out of Mississippi via Ebay, both are currently slant 6 equipped.

Yea, see, I think the one in mine is way to long,(probably a 30 gallon), it's almost back to the axel! I've been looking all over this area for one and no luck. If you knew the part number your looking for that would be helpful. the one I have on the bench is 3898216. Don't know the one under the truck. I live about two-three hours east of Sandusky. I'm to the point where i'm actually looking at whole trucks just for the tank!!! Let me know if you find the part number your looking for, if this one works we might be able to work something out. I'm gonna keep looking though. send me an email address and i'll send yo a pic of this one. Good luck in your search as well. keep me in mind, thanks, Dan.
Here's a thought, there's a dodge dealer here not to far from me and whenever I have any questions they help me. You might want to call them, at the very least they could give you the part number and any information you might need. The number is 1-855-590-2490, they guy you want to speak with is Mike, he's a wiz!! and owns to superbirds!!!!!! Everyone from far and wide calls this place. Dealership is Junction auto, good luck.

I looked up your town and it don't seem that far from where we camp, the exact town is Bellevue. Ive been to (?) Westlake just west of Cleveland before on an Ebay wild goose chase where I bought a garden tractor before.... via the toll road not that far past where we camp. I was looking at the bad tank just like 1/2 hour ago, stopped by my kid's house and found 2 numbers close to each other on the tank, it started with 40........ I stood it up next to me on the ground, on its end. Yeah this tank is pretty tall.....
there is a yard near me that has tons of old stock, in there is a 79 and the tank is gone...… I think I found it (full of water) in the bed of the chevy next to it, there were 3-4 various tanks laying in this truck.... one looked like it could have been out of that Dodge parked next to the Chevy. looked close to what we need, but I thought it looked "too tall" but now that I look at the bad one again, it may not be. there is another 79 in another yard sort of by home, that tank "looked" too long, but this yard puts vehicles on their belly so its impossible to get anything off underneath.
I was in Paducah KY last Friday and stopped by a few yards and the one said "we poke every tank on every vehicle that comes in".... REALLY???? Yup, they say its common practice in junkyards in that neck of the woods..... there are a few yards near here that do the same. but not all. seems like a U-pull-it type of yard, thing to me.
I do know that the yard ticket for this "wrong" tank I have says the interchange is "Dodge Trucks; 81-87". so it would fit yours.
Around here there are a few of those trucks in the yards but dang few 80-older. I have looked at a couple of 75s and they are different yet. If you don't find what you need we "should" be in Bellevue the 1st weekend in August, COVID dependent. I could bring it then and we could meet up. IDK if I will be out that way before then or not.

dan brooks and vd here are 3 pics from factory parts book 78-81. the pics are of the gas tanks,mounting and such. vd, 80 had 2 tanks only, 1 for us and 1 for cali. dan yours had 2, a 20 gal and 30 gal. later tanks had circle on bottom and a number in circle was the gallon size of the tank. i.e. 15,20,22,30,35,36 etc. this should provide all the needed info.
20200618_193444.jpg
20200618_193456.jpg
20200618_193508.jpg

I found one for the 80. What a pain in the ass that was to accomplish
And Dan if you still need one for your truck come August I'll be out your way. 81-87s still seem pretty available in the yards around here. Idk about by you

Back