• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1978 W200 Power Wagon

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Finally picked up my truck, took 6 months and way too much money to get it over here, but boy am I glad its here.

Its running a 440/727 combo. It had a cheap paintjob before it left the States, but other than that and the lift kit, its mostly original. Will start going through all the little bits and pieces over the next couple of weeks, getting it ready for registration here.

Turned up like they had strapped it to the front of the ship and used it as a wave breaker on the way over. A little WD40 cleaned up the bumper and brightwork ok.

Before and after bumper and grill cleanup

IMG20220620152203.jpg

IMG20220620152231.jpg

IMG20220620162103.jpg

IMG20220622202619.jpg

IMG20220622202658.jpg

IMG20220620152207.jpg

IMG20220620152210.jpg

IMG20220620152216.jpg

IMG20220620152220.jpg

IMG20220620152223.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I might just drop the oil and throw a set of plugs in while I was at it. I suppose you could say they werent the freshest.

IMG20220622170550.jpg

IMG20220622175132.jpg

IMG20220622175140.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. End goal (starting goal) was to find a good candidate for a 400 block I'm building, will finish up at 500ci.
As it turns out, this truck was born with a 400 between the fenders, so that gives me all the right kinds of warm and fuzzy feelings.
I like the originality of the truck, the interior smells like 1978. I had a 74 ZG Fairlane, and it smelt exactly the same. The cream coloured vinyl is almost identical, both in looks and feel

New door seals installed. Drivers door closes a little tighter, but I figure it'll settle in once the rubber softens up abit

IMG20220624153327.jpg

IMG20220624153346.jpg

IMG20220624153352.jpg

IMG20220624153356.jpg

IMG20220624153418.jpg

IMG20220624153421.jpg

IMG20220624153424.jpg

IMG20220624153435.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking! At least it will not end up with the original gutless gas hog.
I'm running a 440 in my Roadrunner, and it's crazy to think the same motor could be so gutless in another vehicle.
I've got a feeling though that maybe the stall converter in the truck is also pretty loose, so that's probably not helping with peppiness off the line

I'm running a 440 in my Roadrunner, and it's crazy to think the same motor could be so gutless in another vehicle.
I've got a feeling though that maybe the stall converter in the truck is also pretty loose, so that's probably not helping with peppiness off the line
The last 440's in production were nothing like those of the 60's. Dad had one in his brand new 78 and he even called it a gutless wonder. He only had it for a few years and got rid of it. Ended up with a 600 Ford with a Cat and 5/2 which he kept until he could no longer drive.

good to see another Aussie on here, and with a Mopar too! I've got the VC Dodge posted below this post. I presume you’re new to posting here. I find if I up load my images and post, then open edit and just save again the images post larger!

The last 440's in production were nothing like those of the 60's. Dad had one in his brand new 78 and he even called it a gutless wonder. He only had it for a few years and got rid of it. Ended up with a 600 Ford with a Cat and 5/2 which he kept until he could no longer drive.
I had heard it a million times, but it still shocked me how bad it is. Its running some ancient mech injection, which even after fresh plugs is still running super rich. Im putting a cheapie quickfuel 750 on there this week to simplify the setup a bit, also gotta wire up some orange indicators to pass local registration requirements.

I had heard it a million times, but it still shocked me how bad it is. Its running some ancient mech injection, which even after fresh plugs is still running super rich. Im putting a cheapie quickfuel 750 on there this week to simplify the setup a bit, also gotta wire up some orange indicators to pass local registration requirements.
You still have to do the headlight conversion?

You still have to do the headlight conversion?
Headlights are fine, but by law I need white parking lights, and amber indicators. The parking lights (inner square ones) are amber, so I think Im gonna try and fix an additional bulb socket in the housing so I can split the two operations within the same housing.

Tail lights will need the same treatment. Currently the red brakelight flashes as the indicator, but it must also be amber. Thinking about adding an additional bulb socket into the reverse light section of the tail light housing, which is currently clear. Amber bulb in there and hopefully no more issues.

I have a 68 roadrunner which also has red taillights/indicators, but because it was built before 73, it is permitted. Makes no sense at all.

- Vehicles built after 65 require seat belts to outer front passengers, after 71 all seats require belts.
- Vehicles built after 76 require child restraints to be fitted.
- After 72, head restraints are required.
- All Vehicles must have at least two white headlights that, when switched from high-beam to low-beam, deflect the beam
downwards, or downwards and to the left
- At least two white front parking lights
- At least two front and two rear yellow direction indicator lights*
- At least two red tail lights and two red rear reflectors
- At least two red brake lights
- At least one rear number-plate light
* For motor vehicles built before 1 July 1973, white front and red rear indicator lights are permissible.
- LHD vehicles older than 25 years may be registered in LHD configuration - under 4.5 tonnes GVM.

Id like to have the truck presented fresh, clean and compliant for the blueslip. Like most inspectors, as soon as they find 1 thing wrong, they start to look through the vehicle with a fine tooth comb.

These are requirements for my state NSW, for full registration purposes. As I intend to daily drive my truck, I have opted against any of the several conditional registrations available - which require logbooking all trips, and limited usage per year.

Nice truck. I didn't think the plugs looked too bad, a nice brown color, usually too rich they will be black

I had heard it a million times, but it still shocked me how bad it is. Its running some ancient mech injection, which even after fresh plugs is still running super rich. Im putting a cheapie quickfuel 750 on there this week to simplify the setup a bit
I would like to see the injection setup, pic's please

Back