• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1978 W200 Power Wagon

Few shots of the mechanical injection

IMG20220704214331.jpg

IMG20220704214421.jpg

IMG20220704214426.jpg

IMG20220704214435.jpg

IMG20220704214451.jpg

IMG20220704214712.jpg

IMG20220704214737.jpg

That's not mechanical, that looks like a GM TBI unit that has been swapped on. Look closely on the engine, there should be a coolant temp sensor, O2 sensor, MAP sensor and at the end of the wiring bundle a ECM (computer). Depending on how it's setup that will be a good running EFI on a stock engine.

That's what I thought, way too many wires coming out of it. The engine starts great (now) and runs smooth, but there's still unburnt fuel making its way into the exhaust and going off like popcorn.

Is this thing even tunable? Or is it just self-adjusting based in the info coming from those sensors?

Looks like I've got bigger issues at the moment though. We've had more crazy rain over the last few days, and it looks like I'm taking in water, more than likely through the front window seal.

IMG20220704215807.jpg

IMG20220704215811.jpg

IMG20220704215816.jpg

That's what I thought, way too many wires coming out of it. The engine starts great (now) and runs smooth, but there's still unburnt fuel making its way into the exhaust and going off like popcorn.

Is this thing even tunable? Or is it just self-adjusting based in the info coming from those sensors?
Could not find any pictures of the ignition system. Hope it's not a lean burn. The regular electronic is adjustable at the distributor.

If it's indeed a GM system adapted to your Mopar the short answer is no it's not tunable, GM ECM's of that vintage use replaceable PROM's and in closed loop the ECM can do some tuning on it's own. A friend of mine has a 88 Formula and he swapped out the ECM to a custom aftermarket unit that's based on the TBI ECM, but he can tune it and flash in the tune. That would be a option. Find the ECM and take a pic of it. I will find out what ECM and software he is using

Thanks for the info. I thought that might be the case with an older-style setup. No OBD port to hack in and remap the ECU.

I was leaning toward putting a cheapie 750 4-barrel on there for the time being. The motor will be coming out in the long run for a swap, so I dont want to pump too much into it.
I have an edelbrock performer (non-rpm) and some fresh head gaskets lying around that Id like to put on this thing while we're going through it and giving it the once-over. The motor will stay in for the moment and serve as daily driver until the 400/500 stroker is complete. Been waiting on rods since december, says theyre not due till late September, so it coule be a while.

Ok got some updates on my truck

- its been a rough couple of weeks trying to get it registered over here, but finally got it done. Anyone local who needs help to get it done easy, the 1st time you go to the registry, hit me up.
- Turns out my 78 truck has a build date of December 77 on the tag, so I had to get it officially registered here as a 77 model.
- Sorted the leaky windshield with a bit of silicone behind the windshield rubber on both sides. Made it easy to locate the leak when I could see the water actually running down the inside of the A-pillar while it was raining. Hasnt taken any water on since, but the jury is out till we get another one of those big rainy days.
- Got me some Power wagon hood badges. Ive got the later hood (79 and up) but I got them to work on this hood. I think they look pretty decent.

Truck is going into a friends shop next week for some maintenance and a general once over up on the lift.
- New OEM front brake setup. Rotors, calipers and pads
- Got a whole box of bushings, bearings, seals etc so whole underside will get a freshen up
- all fuel lines gonna get replaced. Found a couple of leaky fuel lines, plus I dont know how long the truck sat, I expect a few other rotted hoses etc so I thought might as well give them all a freshen up, especially aftre seeing the door seals.
- EFI system - bye bye. 4 barrel vacuum secondary carby going on. Will pull heads to check general condition/compression of engine. Turns out its a 67 440, so maybe wont be as gutless as I thought after a good clean up and tune up.
- while the heads are off, new head gaskets, exhaust gaskets, got an old edelbrock performer low rise intake and some mopar performance valve covers ill throw on too.
- if theres no booby traps with everything in the list so far, Ill try and go thru the t-case with a freshen up of all the gaskets and fit the part-time 4x4 conversion kit. Got a shift kit for the trans, and hopefully mount the Gearvendors OD as well. Truck is currently running somewhere around 25-30 L/100kms, or about 7.5 - 9.5 MPG, so its really running pig rich. Its been leaving black marks on my driveway everytime I start it thanks to the exhaust dumps before the Diff.

IMG20220816121755.jpg

IMG20220817114814.jpg

IMG20220817114820.jpg

IMG20220817114823.jpg

Back