• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1972 D300 Front Drum Brake Questions

Chisel worked great, thanks 7mopar. Hub/drum was going nowhere, so I had to bolt a chain to the lug studs, then hook a tow strap to the chain, and hook the other end of the strap to the rear suspension of my car, and put it in drive...it worked. The bearing went flying like 5 feet. I won't be able to do this trick on the left rear if it's stubborn; no access where this pig is parked. If it's really stubborn, I may have to fab up a puller. The puller I used on the front won't work because that hub that the axle anchors to interferes,

MT

Don't break one of those hubs until you price a new one. You may want to rethink the removal procedure after that. Backing the brakes off would help or was the outside bearing stuck to the axle housing? But I have never had that happen.

You've never had it happen because you probably never let your rig sit for 20+ years like my 95-year old Dad did. I'm trying to help him out. The rears have been stuck for over 12 years. It looks like the shoes are rusted to the drum. I much prefer using a puller; I spent $50 on eBay for that puller that helped on the right front, but as I said it won't work on the rears. Major bummer there. On the left rear, if it's stuck like the others, I will have no choice but to fabricate a puller with money I do not have; out comes the plastic. This is an unusual situation, and I just want it to end.

MT

Well, got lucky on the left rear. All I had to do to get it to turn was back off the self-adjuster from behind thru the access hole. Thanks for all the help. All I have to do now is find somebody to take this abomination on 6 wheels.

MT

Back