• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1972 D300 Front Drum Brake Questions

Mealticket

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm a newbie here. I'm trying to get a wheel unstuck on a '72 Travel Queen motorhome which I'm told is on a Dodge D300 chassis. It's drum brakes and there are not just big lug nuts but a huge nut smack in the middle that also appears to secure the wheel. It's over 2" so I don't currently have a socket to take it off. Please advise if anybody knows what size that might be. Thanks,

MT

Last edited:
Picture please. Motor home were titled per the years of the home body. The chassis and driveline could be of any year before that. Our 78 Excel is on a 76 Dodge Camper Special chassis. This will even be harder to narrow down if the Travel Queen is a class A coach. But I am assuming it has a self-locking nut. If not just flatten or remove the pin and with a hammer and chesil tap lose the nut. It should not be on that tight.

7mopar - please see attached. Of course it doesn't hold the wheel on - brain freeze by me on that one. But I'm not sure what it does hold on. It think it's either 2 1/8 or 2 1/4. I have some old repair books but I don't know the system, ie, Bendix, whatever. Any help is appreciated,

MT

Attachments

• 20220429_130058.jpg
    20220429_130058.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Front Wheel.jpg
    Front Wheel.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 98
Looks like a dust cover to me. Should just pry out of the hole. The nut that holds the hub to the spindle will be under it. Check and make sure it's tin before prying on it. I have not seen a treaded dust cap on one of these yet. But beings it recessed way in there maybe Dodge felt it better to spin it out. But it sure is not what holds the hub on.

To have any chance to get this thing off I think I will need a puller.

MT

Attachments

• 20220902_113052.jpg
    20220902_113052.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 101
You trying to get the wheel off? If so find a wood post and beat on the wheel with it. It should break free.

For what? I've never seen a puller for a dust cap.
Might have to get a small prybar in there at a few different spots and "walk" it out.
When I had my dually there was a ~3/8" hole in the hub about even with the flange to stick a screwdriver in to pry it out with.

7mopar - please see attached. Of course it doesn't hold the wheel on - brain freeze by me on that one. But I'm not sure what it does hold on. It think it's either 2 1/8 or 2 1/4. I have some old repair books but I don't know the system, ie, Bendix, whatever. Any help is appreciated,

MT

It takes a 2 1/4 8 sided socket Sometimes you can unwind them with a pair of channel lock plierrs

Closing this off, I got the hub/drum assembly off today using a heavy duty hub puller. Thank you all for the help. I was totally clueless coming into this,

MT

Not quite understanding the need for a drum/hub puller. Unless the brakes were not backed off. But you got them off and that was the goal.

I went as far as I could on the star wheel, and I guess it just got stuck too, because once I got the hub/drum off, there was more to go,

D.

A lot of times there is a ridge on the outer side of the drum that makes it hard to slip past the brake shoes you can take it down some with a die grinder to make it easier if you have to take it off again

I am taking to the hub would still turn but just did not want to come off. Sometimes the shoes will rust to the drum or drum to shoes would be a better way to put it. If that happens sometimes rapping the hub with a hammer will break them loose. Anyway, you have it off.

This thing has my number...taking a shot at the rear, appears to be a Dana 60 based on the diff cover...that first big nut that you're supposed to be able to remove easily once you bend back the tabs on that retainer thing behind it, won't budge. Anybody know the socket size? Seems like 2 5/8 or something along those lines,

MT

This thing has my number...taking a shot at the rear, appears to be a Dana 60 based on the diff cover...that first big nut that you're supposed to be able to remove easily once you bend back the tabs on that retainer thing behind it, won't budge. Anybody know the socket size? Seems like 2 5/8 or something along those lines,

MT
If it's not a lock nut which it shouldn't be with the metal lock ring. I have used a chisel and hammer to knock the nut lose. It should not be that tight.

Back