• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Winches?

I have Superwinch on my trailer. Its was the cheapest I could find when I was looking around that was a brand name that I have heard of. Mechanically it seems like a decent enough winch pulls vehicles up on my trailer like a champ and its a bit on the small size for what I should have. I think the motor on it is pretty good quality and the rest of it they used cheap parts. The mounting brackets were thin and cheap and I had to beef them up. There is a cheap piece of metal that is supposed to help spool the cable up but most of the time the cable snags it and bends it into the spool jamming it all up. The wire isn't as long as advertised on the box and the quality of it seems poor. The winch isn't even a year old and only gets mild used and the cable looks like its getting pretty frayed in some spots. After buying my trailer I kinda cheaped out because I was strapped for cash and I really didn't know what I needed at the time either. I think when I go get my next winch I will be getting a Warn they seemed to be better built if you plan on using them more regularly.

We have a X9000 on our ramp truck........ seem's to get the job done, it was used when we got it,
but work's fine. On our car trailer, we have a Ramsey 8K winch, and work's really well. It has alway's pulled anything we have hooked on to. Like the previous poster said......... he would probably look into
a Warn winch, which they they look very tough. As alway's...... you get what you pay for. Good luck.

I saw the costs out there for some of the more respected winches. Warn especially. I shopped and shopped and since there are more issues than just the cost of the winch, I'll just cut to it. I found a Superwinch TS 9500 for under $300, I had a custom front receiver put in, and hence mounted the winch without the involving full front end modification with bumpers and grill guards etc. My TOTAL cost for everything was under $700 (and yes that included the custom front receiver install, cable kit, mount etc) and many winches out there cost more than that just for the winch. I can use the truck for non-off road uses and leave the winch in the garage, and put it on with a pin when going off road. My trade off, it blocks two lights of 8. Not a very big deal.

Back