• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Which Vintage Truck?

streetmachine

Reaction score
Hello. I'm starting this thread as a decision tool so please no flaming. Anyways, so I've been having a hankering to get a vintage truck again. I tend to prefer old Mopar trucks but, I've been looking at Fords, Chevrolets/GMC, and Internationals. What I thoughts was a regular cab 2wd with an automatic transmission. Power steering, V8 (must haves), and AC would be nice. The other constraint would be probably the years which would 1980 and prior. I've had a Lil' Red Express years ago and wish I would have never sold that truck.

So, now lies in the problem that to buy a decent one you'd have to spend about $12-15k at least. From what I can see I can buy an Ford or Chevrolet for a little less depending on what era of truck you go. Realistically, if I could go for $8k and under that would be alright. I'm not looking for a show truck but, a nice driver with no rust if possible. Just wondering what your choice would be given the constraints? Any feedback is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

How about a decent looking 67 250 camper special just slightly over your 8k figure? If intrested I will see if its still available and get a hard figure.

Lil Red's can go for around your 8k figure, maybe a little higher. But if you are ready to pull the trigger and have money ready, you could get one for under 10k.

Thank you everyone who replied to this thread. Regarding the trucks, I'm just trying figure what truck would be best for semi-daily use. I used my Lil' Red for a while years ago when I had it. But, what I see is that Fords and Chevrolet from the same vintage are easier to find and more aftermarket. I'm just trying figure out what would the best truck for my intended purpose? I guess to make it easier for anyone else whom wants to chime in let's go with the years of '65-80.

What are your plans? You mentioned aftermarket, what segment of the aftermarket are you/would you be buying from? You can get lift kits for anything, engine parts for everything, but body styling pieces are few and far between for the Dodges, Ford and Chevy seem to have any and everything you can think of. Interior-wise, I'm not sure what's out there other than a set of faces for gauges, but I haven't looked very hard. Those are my observations, vague I know, but maybe it helps some.

Well, if its a Dodge then NOS and DodgeConnection would the places. If it's a Chevrolet or Ford then potentially LMC. Thank you for input once again.

Back