• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Which LA's have rollers???

MoparsOnly

The snozberries taste like snozberries.
Reaction score
Hey Yall I was wondering in what year did they start using roller lifters. I've hears as early as 88. I'm looking at buying a nice 1990 W150 which that is the registration. The door reads late 89. It has a 360 The tags under the hood have 5.9l not C.I./CC's. I was thinking that it may have rollers in it. Thanks to all.

my 88 ramcharger 318 has roller the 89/90 has roller and hollow pushrods believe that they are early magnum block.heads are the 302 casting.

88+ 318 and 89+ 360. All TBI engines have em, 360 got TBI a year later.

None are "early Mag block" as mentioned. Mags oil the rockers through the push rods unlike all LA's through the head.

my pushrods are oil trough pushrods just the heads are LA WONDERING about EARLY MAGNUM ENGINE friend of mine got a 91 360 and pushrods are hollow ??? CASTING FOR THE HEADS IS 308 pistons and rod are the same as the ones in a true magnum engine So maybe it is an early magnum???? just curious Wish some one could tell?

Did not know they were considered magnums until port injection and serpentine belts. That occurred in 93 at least for some.

Actually Mags came out in 92. Better flowing heads, better pistons and rings, thinner cyl walls, no centric provisions at all and of course multiport. Another interesting note, 92&3 Mags are considered the best for cheap HP upgrades due to the return style fuel system, 3" manifold outlets and 3" Y pipe and head pipe to the cat which was also 3". Nice sleeper upgrades on a 94+. Downside, EGR. EGR was eliminated in 96 when OBD2 come out, which I hate. My personal opinion, 94&5 with 92 or 3 manifolds is the way to go. First gen Mag manifolds even outflow headers.

That is the explanation as to why some 3.9's will out preform 5.2's of different years. The 89 - 360 is rated at less HP than the 93 - 3.9 even though the 3.9 refuses to do the same amount of work.

That is the explanation as to why some 3.9's will out preform 5.2's of different years. The 89 - 360 is rated at less HP than the 93 - 3.9 even though the 3.9 refuses to do the same amount of work.
Zactly! Matter of fact I had a 94 3.9 Dak that was wicked. With 120 shot I walked Camaros and Mustangs regularly. Ported V8 TB, worked beer barrel intake, mild port heads, 1.7 RR's, 3200 stall converter w/ shift kit, 70 8 3/4 with 4.10 l/s, weight removed and the mentioned n2o. Was one of the most rewarding things I've played with in all my years of tuning. Only pic I have left of it, damn laptop crashed and lost em all.
profile.jpg

Did a 94 zj magnum swap in my 72 D100 got the exhaust manifolds from a 5.9 DURANGO custom y pipe and exhaust PLAN IS TO KEEP THE OBD1 and the efi running. will have to modify the side tank for an internal fuel pump.

Dgot the exhaust manifolds from a 5.9 DURANGO.
They're still 2.5 collectors. Even though its the biggest Mag they made, still used off the shelf parts from the 94+ 5.2's. Get yourself some 92 or 93 manifolds from any Dodge 5.2 or 5.9, you'll see what I'm talking about. Cool swap, do you have a thread?

One on the right is a 93 Dodge B100 5.2 and the left is a 96 Ram 2500 5.9.
1.jpg

Corresponding Y pipes
2.jpg

3.jpg

Tried the magnum manifold on the LA engine they fit nice custom y pipe was fabricated . 92/94 dodge manifold are very rare in my country. its more easy to get a used zj for parts at affordable price.

360 magnum exhaust.jpg

360 ypipe01.jpg

first the mag engine was on a ramcharger 2wd frame for a test fit. The ram body was junk then a 76 cab w200 was bolted on, bed was shortened to complete the ultra short truck with 106 " wheelbase .

frame.jpg

mopar  lowering truck 026pg.jpg

mopar  lowering truck 049.jpg

Later in the year, friend on mine gave me a phone call sourced a 72 d100 shortbed utiline for parts. bought the truck, get rid of the rotted body, had the frame sand blasted and epoxied and started rebuilding the truck.

1 D100THE START .jpg

1d 100 010.jpg

sand blast 04.jpg

20170529_103351.jpg

to keep her street-legal the truck will be be buildt close to FACTORY STANDARD despite dakota spindles and flipped rear axle. sourced a A500 as well as a90 tbi from a 90 van and plan to add the overdrived tranny with lock up. engine had an overhaul from the previous owner new bearings new rings, timing chain, oil pump, and a brand new throttle body and another ecm for spare. while this time body was in the shop for prep and a paint job.

727 preteàmonter.jpg

cab 001.jpg

cab 007.JPG

moparlowering truck 062.JPG

The stepside fenders and one side of the bed were rotted as hell so started hunting a new descent one and find someone who is willing to help for shipping remember that i live in FRANCE one ocean away. Finally found one in california at reasonnable price( thanks again to the seller)... 6more months to wait before getting the bed home.......

20170516_181836.jpg

20190604_110639.jpg

20190604_110648.jpg

Last edited:
Back