• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Which dual master? Also, where to get rubber lines?

70DartMike

Reaction score
I have a 65 Fargo W300 PowerWagon, which still has a single master cylinder. I would like to upgrade to a dual master. 5 months ago, I rebuilt the front wheel cylinders with rebuild kits and honed them out, since I could not find new anywhere. I replaced the rears with new. After bleeding them, I drove the truck around about a week with a slightly soft pedal, but the wheel cylinders were holding up fine. I then went travelling for 2 months, and when I came back, the master was dry and there was no pedal.
Does anyone know where to buy the long rubber lines for a W300?
Also, does anyone know which dual master to buy which has the same bolt pattern, to do the conversion?

Thanks for your help.

Figured it out. I checked a 68 W100 for a dual master, and it had one with the 2 bolt pattern, but no power booster. Instead there was an adapter plate which matched my single master's bolt pattern. I used the plate, with a new master cylinder from a 77 W200, and used the 68's proportioning valve. Ran new 5/16" lines down to the booster under the cab, and ran new 1/4" lines from the prop valve to both front and rear brakes. When I opened the bleeder valves to gravity bleed, fluid came out, which leads me to believe its not my rubber lines that were the problem, but the master.

Ignore the messy engine bay.

DSC05222.jpg

DSC05223.jpg

DSC05224.jpg

DSC05225.jpg

That's the plan, when it's turn comes. I've got a beautiful cab for it, and an actual Fargo tailgate, as well as a 440. The 318 Poly just doesn't pull it that well, but I have a 4bbl manifold for it, so we'll see if it makes much difference. I'd love to drop the 440 in, since it's an original 383 truck, but I'm having a real hard time finding a big block bell housing to mate to the NP435. So for now, all the issues will slowly be weened out. I would also like to do the uglytruckling disc conversion.

Mike, I have the dual master cyl on my 71 W100 & when it began to leak at the firewall & pedal pressure went south, I got a replacement from O'Reily's. Didn't realize it
was defective until 2 mos later when I was towing. Turns out the rear brakes weren't even working. I shoulda got it from NAPA. Anyway, looks like you did a nice job
on the conversion & hope it works out well.

Thanks triggerfish, it did work out for a while, until I lost all fluid again. This time it leaked out the master cylinder lid. I seem to have bad luck with the lids not being straight, and the gaskets being of a cheap quality which doesn't seal like the old rubber ones. PITA.

Back