• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

What's your brand choice for Dakota fuel pump?

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to replace the fuel pump in my 96 3.9 Dakota. Napa has Delphi and Advance has Airtex. I sold Airtex years ago and they were top quality but that was in the late 70's. What do you guys use? tmm

IMG_0177.jpg

don3.jpgGetting ready to drop an old school 318 4 barrel in my 92, Ive been pondering the same question, My v6 pump come from advance 6 years ago. cant say I have any complaints about it. my valves are worn out, the tranny is bad, but it cranks first bump of the key, every time so there is no fuel problems, no problems going down the road either, So Ill probably go back to advance, although I do use napa all the time as well.

don3.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Advance airtek in my Dakota and it works great. My son had to pull the bed off to reclock it so the gauge would work from the previous owner putting it in wrong.

I got a Bosch pump from Rockauto. The oem pump has a roll over check valve and the pump has a hole for one but you have to re use the old one. Well, good luck there! I should have just broken the old housing apart to get the check valve and grommet out. I broke the valve and put a cut in the grommet. I missed the overnight order at the local Dodge parts dept. by 10 min. A dealer 75 miles away has one and is open on Saturday. I will be making a road trip tomorrow. Or I can wait till Tues to order one locally. I have it apart in the driveway and need to make it mobile again asap. The grommet has been discontinued so a used one is my only option if needed. I didn't know if mine had a valve or not. I did see pumps listed with and without. I wish I would have ordered a pump with a valve already. Live and learn. tmm

Well I took that 150 mile round trip today to get the rollover valve. It was a nice day and the dealer was in a small town in the hills in N.E. Iowa so the scenery was spectacular and the roads were curvy. I wish I could have driven my 66 Dart but my PT Cruiser needed to stretch it's legs. I got home and had the truck running in about an hour. Works great! I was having a service engine problem related to rich exhaust on sensor 2. I had replaced the 02 sensor because of a steady 1.0v output but it didn't fix the light. Different sites online said that excessive fuel pressure could cause the problem. I checked mine and it had 90 psi. Too much! The pump fixed the SES light and my hard starting problem too. A very successful day. tmm

View attachment 1411Getting ready to drop an old school 318 4 barrel in my 92, Ive been pondering the same question, My v6 pump come from advance 6 years ago. cant say I have any complaints about it. my valves are worn out, the tranny is bad, but it cranks first bump of the key, every time so there is no fuel problems, no problems going down the road either, So Ill probably go back to advance, although I do use napa all the time as well.

thats what I'm doing to my 1991 dakota regular cab SWB, its getting a 1977 dodge 318 with carter 4 barrel

Back