• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

What's it worth?

Polara_500

Reaction score
I have a big block 727 for 4 wheel drive that I'm not going to use. I had it freshened a couple years ago for a project that never happened so I'd like to be done tripping on it. Just a basic rebuild, nothing fancy, never had fluid in it since it was done. So what's this worth?

Built for use of attached or devoriced transfer case? Also does it include the torque converter?

Also what do you mean by freshened? Filter change and band adjustments or complete rebuild?

Total rebuild with standard kit, no fancy clutches/steels or anything like that. Attached transfer case although not attached at the moment. Torque converter not included - I had bought a rebuilt one to use with it but it found another project.

What's hard about selling something like that "Polara-500" is that it would cost a lot to ship . So you would be better off trying to sell it locally . Do you have the paper work on it ?

No paperwork, build done by a hot rodder friend that's been doing Chrysler transmissions for 30 some years. Locally not a lot of Mopar hot rodders so not a lot of market around here. Heck, this was built by combining a 2WD BB trans with a 4WD SB trans that I had shipped in from some distance away - so I'm aware of shipping issues. Guess I'll throw it in a back corner of the back garage where I don't go often, at least that way I won't be tripping over it daily. The back garage has a lot of 'stuff' stashed, it's just that this piece is ready to use and most of the rest of it is needing attention before reusing. Let's see, there's a 413, 2 383's and a couple 360's along with a couple transmissions and the like, many spare body parts for trucks along with a couple cars.... it's my indoor junk pile.

So what tail section did you put on the back of the 727 then ? The one that excepts the part time 208 and 241 T case's or the one that takes the 203 full time T case's ? By the way , what part of the country do you live ? Anywhere near me ?

He's up in Minnesota. Just a hop skip and a jump away!

I wish I was farther along on my 72, I need a BB 727 built but I have a divorced t case. I was going to swap the short tail shaft off the SB that's in there, on to a BB case after I stole the HD stuff out of a BB rv trans I have! I should get almost 2 complete transmissions when I'm done.

I wish I was farther along on my 72, I need a BB 727 built but I have a divorced t case. I was going to swap the short tail shaft off the SB that's in there, on to a BB case after I stole the HD stuff out of a BB rv trans I have! I should get almost 2 complete transmissions when I'm done.
The BB Rv case did not have a short tail shaft? Most do with a drum e brake and bolt on drive shaft?

The original came out of an 84 I think, I had to dig out the t case but that was a couple hours ago, think it's a 208. Was there a 203?? Never much got into the 4WD stuff, was gonna build a plow truck was the original thinking but bought a complete one before I got the other built. Now I'm just putting together a BB 83 2WD so I have pieces I've bought I won't use = I'm good for getting an idea and assembling parts/pieces that never get used........... :bigtears: Was just thinking I could recoup a buck or two, but at a couple hundred or so I'll sit on it in case I get another wild hair. HeHe, digging out the t case I found a trans I'd forgotten I had...... more joy.
Mike

Thanks Mob , It's funny because my first thought when he asked about the transmission was you and your truck .

The original came out of an 84 I think, I had to dig out the t case but that was a couple hours ago, think it's a 208. Was there a 203?? Never much got into the 4WD stuff, was gonna build a plow truck was the original thinking but bought a complete one before I got the other built. Now I'm just putting together a BB 83 2WD so I have pieces I've bought I won't use = I'm good for getting an idea and assembling parts/pieces that never get used........... :bigtears: Was just thinking I could recoup a buck or two, but at a couple hundred or so I'll sit on it in case I get another wild hair. HeHe, digging out the t case I found a trans I'd forgotten I had...... more joy.
Mike
If it's out of an 84 then it'll take the part time T case which would be the 208 or in the late 80's they had a shift of the fly 241 . The factory big block truck's where all full time fours with the 203 T case . To bad your not closer . I'd offer to help clean out your garage . The nice guy I am ! :D lol You should consider doing a build thread on your 83 . Obviously I've got a soft spot for big block trucks . :rolleyes:

Can't do a build thread, I'd show myself up for how slowly I move. I watch these others and everybody makes steady progress, me - not so much...

Can't do a build thread, I'd show myself up for how slowly I move. I watch these others and everybody makes steady progress, me - not so much...
Don't feel to bad . I had my Warlock for a little over two years and during that time . About the only thing I got done was straighten out some of the previous work that had been done to it and get it running on all eight cylinders again . Never even got a chance to drive it once on the street or get anything else done to it . Then all at once . We sold our Dart and pounced on the Warlock for about two or three months . working on it probably pretty much every day of the week during that time and even though where able to drive it now . Where still far from done and it won't be for a while . I "did" have a lot of plans for it while it was down for the winter . But a "big" monkey wrench happened . I lost my winter job , so most if not all of those are on hold for now . I guess what I'm trying to say is , It takes time and not all of us can just concentrate on one build steady , start to finish and get it done in a short period of time .

I move as fast as molasses. A little faster in warmer weather.

I don't have a build thread on my truck, cause I haven't started yet! I have one on my Dart in FABO. Around a year old and I've taken out the engine/trans, and swapped in another 8 & 3/4 and Super Stock springs. I have to get the Dart on the road and redo the brakes (everything) on my girlfriend's '54 Mercury Medalist before I get to the truck. I'm slow and cheap, so I acquire most of what I need and then build. Works out when I'm buying something for the 3rd or 4th vehicle working on #1. I have most of what I need for my old fleet, at least the old stuff you can't buy from net's or summit. I hope the truck is started by next year. Should be fun to see all 3 drivable at the same time!

Last edited:
Here's the Medalist I get to fix. Girlfriend's son behind the tiller.

IMG_1491.JPG

Last edited:
Now "that's" a cruiser ! :cool: What's the plan for it ?
New brakes all around. Rebuild the leaky carb. The girlfriend wants to paint it the original color, which is close to what it is now. Gotta get it to stop first! Then just have it ready to drive.

Back