• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

What truck should I buy?

soverby

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a full size pickup truck.

I have narrowed my choices down to either a Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7L 4x4 (2019 or newer), or a Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 with either 2.7L turbo or 5.3L (2019 or newer), with a preference for the Trail Boss Custom.

I am having a hard time deciding which option is best to focus my attention on. This will be my first full size pickup. I'm planning to spend some time at some dealerships over the next couple weeks checking out these options.

I've been out of the truck world for about ten years now, and I'd like to get some opinions about these options from some consumers that have decent knowledge on the matter.

As far as my needs go, I'm looking to use my new truck for hauling, but not much towing, if any at all, and probably for some light off roading, and general transportation.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks!

I'm seeing the little turbo four gets terrible mileage. And it requires high octane fuel. Then there is the fact it uses not only active fuel management (drops cylinders) it also uses variable valve lift. Most people know how there have been huge problems with GMs AFM but add to it the variable valve lift and what could go wrong?
As for the 5.3 it also uses AFM and they still don't have it right.
Then there is the Ram. I don't know much about them but when most reviews are preferring the Ram over the Chevy in fit, finish, ride quality and economy, it all comes down to what you like.
IMO I would avoid the Chevy turbo four.
YMMV

@Slap Stick

Thanks for the input.

I am aware of the lifter issues GM is having, and your point about the variable cylinder feature with the 2.7 is a really good one that I hadn't considered, and sways me further away from that option.

Thanks, again.

The 5.3 uses the same feature, aka Active Fuel Management. Used to be called something else and got such a bad reputation they renamed it. It uses different lifters that are hydraulically activated to raise the lifter off the cam to keep the valves closed.
The 2.7 not only has that but variable valve lift.
Good luck on whatever you choose.

I like either truck the Ram with the Hemi or Chevy with the 5.3. Both engines use VVT(variable valve timing) and AFM. Ram calls their AFM system MDS, but it works the same. Cuts oil to lifters to deactivate certain cylinders. Either truck will serve you well, check out both and see which one you like better. The best thing you can do with either truck is oil changes. Synthetic oil with no more than 5,000 miles between oil changes, if driving very short trips in cold climates I would do it more often. Oil is cheaper then an engine

What ever you do, DO NOT BUY NEW. I say this because of the chip shortage. I have a few buddies at dealerships one a salesman and they are selling just about everything for full sticker If not more. Do your homework and, me of course all you have to do Is look at my handle I'm partial to the Ram. I actually think all the new trucks are ass ugly especially the Chebby I do like the GMC. The new Nissan Titan Is probably the best looking truck out of them all. Nowadays they all kind of look the same. It's like the designers mail It In. It's not like the old days where you can tell the difference immediately from whatever angle you are looking at It. They where all distinctive from each other, now not so much. Good luck In your search and purchase whatever It maybe.

What ever you do, DO NOT BUY NEW. I say this because of the chip shortage. I have a few buddies at dealerships one a salesman and they are selling just about everything for full sticker If not more. Do your homework and, me of course all you have to do Is look at my handle I'm partial to the Ram. I actually think all the new trucks are ass ugly especially the Chebby I do like the GMC. The new Nissan Titan Is probably the best looking truck out of them all. Nowadays they all kind of look the same. It's like the designers mail It In. It's not like the old days where you can tell the difference immediately from whatever angle you are looking at It. They where all distinctive from each other, now not so much. Good luck In your search and purchase whatever It maybe.
I think you're in a better position if you can wait for new. The used prices are true insanity right now simply because people are too impatient to wait for new. My daily driver is worth more than I paid for it 2.5 years ago and it has double the mileage. You'd be crazy to buy used right now.

My bosses husband was looking at trucks in October/November and he found a gas Chevy crew cab four wheel drive for $10k and 30k miles more than a brand new diesel crew cab four wheel drive. He went with the truck that was new, a better deal and a more capable truck. And he gets 33 mpg with it!

Last edited:
My bosses husband was looking at trucks in October/November and he found a gas Chevy crew cab four wheel drive for $10k and 30k miles more than a brand new diesel crew cab four wheel drive. He went with th truck that was new, a better deal and a more capable truck. And he gets 33 mpg with it!
33, that is some crazy mileage

New and hauler without a trailer. You must be hauling something short.
Either way bed will not be large enough to make any money at it.

Seems like everyone I know that bought a ChryCo product as their first one had problems with it lol. That said, I don't care for the 5.3 (327?) GM engine. Lifter problems and more....and I'm not a fan of the VVT with any brand of engine.

Back