• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

What to purchase?

CN_AK86

Reaction score
In a conundrum and torn between a new Tundra (1794 Crewmax, 6.5’ bed) and a Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax. Have had a deposit on the Tundra since March, it was due to arrive this weekend, but kicked on to QC hold and now not due to arrive for a few more weeks. My hope was to lock it down before incentives expire on 07/05 (2.75% for 60, 3.75% for 72) Toyota dealer won’t let me lock in financing before it arrives at dealer. Deposit on Tundra is refundable. GM dealer has a 2500 SLT Duramax due in next week that is available. Torn whether I jump on the 2500 and get more truck for my buck, approximately $8K more. It has fewer tech features than the Tundra, but is larger and far more capable.

Any thoughts on the better route?

If it were me, and the $8k wasn't an issue, I'd go with the Duramax. I'd rather have the diesel than a V6 hybrid deal (if that's what the Tundra is) all day long. Not knocking the Toyota, but the diesel will be able to do anything, even with the added cost of the diesel fuel and maintenance. I love the diesel trucks I've used, they are beasts, always ready for hard work with no complaining.

I love the Duramax and would love to have one, but do you need the diesel? The 2500 rides a little rougher than a Tundra and usually you need to be towing a lot to justify the extra cost of fuel and maintenance.

Yeah all valid points. I don’t tow much, but it could become a thing in the near future. Finally have some work on the road system up here in Alaska where the added capacities might be a nice feature. And I don’t believe you give up too much in fuel economy.

GM vs Toyota? No question. Forget about the tundra. I wouldn't have a Toyota even if it were free.

I thought this was a Dodge site!!!!! I would not trade my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins 5.9, 24 valve, truck for either of these two. I bought new and have 200,000 miles on it and hope I will get another 200,000. If you are not doing a lot of towing, the 2500 is a great truck. The dually works best for towing, but the 2500 will work. It does ride a little stiffer than the 1500, but less so than the 3500. It is a truck!!!!! I get 21 miles to the gal. on the highway, 13 city and 16 - 18 all around. All three have their own special perks. It's what fits you best.

Back