• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

What to do

volaredon

Reaction score
I have a 85 d150 as a project truck. I love the 70s/80s D/W series trucks, had several of them over the years.
This one is reg cab long bed /6 auto (727)
I have overhauled the /6 recently, with alot of modifications. Milled block, milled block a total of 0.100 taken off between the two, '74 forged crank block, later 70s head with much porting, oversized valves and a reground original cam into what used to be known as a "RV" cam. Nothing radical.
Then a super 6 intake and stock exhaust manifold with the outlet opened up to match the flange gasket. .. hope to have at least equal power to what a stock 318 "would have had" in those mid 80s.... but out of a /6 instead. Plan on making it my 3 season daily driver once done. Currently my daily drive is 70 miles round trip, mostly open country 2 lane.

Anyway my question/problem is this:
When I got this truck I was perfectly happy (and surprised) that it has a727 in it instead of the weak noodle 904. I've never had much luck with 904s, and I've had quite a few of them.
But I've since acquired everything (I mean EVERYTHING) needed to convert it to a 833OD. I always liked driving stick, haven't had one in a few years.
But now, I have acquired an A500 overdrive automatic out of a 91 Dakota.
I know that a small block trans won't directly bolt in behind a /6. But I've recently come across an early 60s /6 and 727. They didn't start casting a /6 specific 727 case until the later 60s.

Prior to that any heavy duty/taxi/truck /6 that got a 727, got a small block 727 with a 25# cast iron adapter plate to mate the 2. I'm thinking of purchasing this much older /6 and 727 just for the adapter plate so I can put the a500 into my truck.
Then sell off the /6 and push button 727 when I can to get my money back.... or some of it at least.

Ok guys, if this was your truck would you

Leave the 727 alone? Only issue is a pain in the ass leak that I have to fix. It isn't the pan and it isn't the front pump seal (that was replaced when the engine was), I think it is the seal where the linkage protrudes from the trans case. Not a terrible thing to fix, done them before.

Do the 4 speed conversion? I even have the later 80s hydraulic clutch setup to put in with it

Or do I put the A500 in? I would want to overhaul it before I put it in, which I can do myself. It ran and drove when I parted out the rotted out Dakota it came from but with 168k miles and not knowing if it had ever been worked on before I got it....
Along with the overhaul would be a mild shift kit, and a set of the sonnax billet servos for good measure. I do have a line on a fresh slightly over stock (for the a500) converter, which is replace anyway just because I'm looking to rebuild that a500 before I use it anyway.
My only concern here would be (and I know I've seen posts all over the place regarding this subject) wiring up the OD and 3/4 shift solenoids, I'm not gonna want to flip switches every time I go thru the gears.

Ok, sorry to reply so late, honestly I thought others would have chimed in by now, the responses on this site always are slower than over on Abodysonly , anyway to respond to your question, I too LOVE Dodge trucks and especially have a soft spot for the 80,s vintage. I do not care for automatic transmissions but with today's modern 1/2 tons we are basically forced to own autos. Therefore my vote goes to the manual. I put a a833 in my 56 p/u which sits on a 81 dodge truck frame. The conversion on yours is easy, my eldest son and I did it on his 80 S/B Dodge, the pedal bracket on the cab is the same for auto and standard so if you have donar pedals, simply undue one bolt and slide out the auto pedal then on with the manuals, drive the roll pin out of the column for the auto shifter, remove the prndl indicator, and swap transmission and bellhousing, you will need to swap the crankshaft pilot bushing and flywheel of course. You may have to modify the driveshaft, I think we may have but it was a while ago. The biggest issue is the floor hump, we simply cut a hole and added a shift boot but honestly I'd find the proper plastic floor hump and shift boot/ ring and get a floor hump section from a donar. You said your driving two lane country roads mostly the 4spd is fun and if you use the OD version you will get economy to. As far as the clutch, I put a hydraulic in my 56 only because I had to due to body fit but otherwise the mechanical one with Z bar is as fine as frogs fur! Put in the stick then show us some pictures. BTW I love the slant idea, don't get me wrong v8 power is the best but I think the funnest truck I ever owned was my 81 S/B Utiline /6 and 4spd OD. I miss that old truck and would buy it back in a heartbeat if it ever crossed my path! Good luck with your project what ever you decide! .....56

Last edited:
I have the add on floor hump already that was used in the 80s trucks.
Like I'd said I have EVERYTHING I'm gonna need to go either way. The truck currently still has its original 727 which works fine but needs to come out to solve a leakage issue anyway.....
I've done the swap to an 833od before in a 79 that I had, which was originally a "3 on the tree" (not automatic) but it's been 30 years since that truck.

Ok... I have the converter for the a500 coming, because it was a good deal. It's not the higher stall I thought it was, but that's alright, still a good deal, fits the trans I have, and a fresh clean converter will be needed anyway, with any freshly built automatic trans anyhow.
. And I made contact with the guy that has the 60s /6 and 727 combo that I need to harvest the adapter for the a500 to bolt up behind the /6... so as of next weekend I'll have everything I'm gonna need to go either way. Mostly getting while the getting is good, as some of this stuff is hard to get this many years after they stopped making them... I may sell off the parts I don't use once I decide which way to go to find other parts of the project. That remains to be determined.
This is making the decision harder.
Also I like "just" rebuilt the original steering column because it needed a new ignition switch and I can tell someone who had no idea what they were doing, had no business tearing anything apart, had been inside that column before I got the truck .. though I do also have a floor shift column here for this truck.
( if either was a tilt column it would help sway my decision but neither are)

anybody awake out there?
To add to the cornfusion, I brought that 64 /6 and 727 home the Friday of Christmas weekend. so now I have the adapter plate I'm gonna need for the A500//// that guy was hard to pin down.... he has a place "down south" on a lake......
and for shits and giggles// while strapped to my trailer, I hooked up a battery to the ground cable that was provided to me with the motor/trans combo... and found another battery cable for the "+" in my stash... With a screwdriver between the starter lugs it cranked over.... Then with some emery cloth and electrical contact cleaner spray on the points, I found it actually had spark.... I splashed some gas in the carb and it RUNS> a 64 /6 barn find that I have no idea how long its been sitting on that barn floor..... or how many miles.....

I think I have a buddy that wants the /6... he has a 64 Valiant convertible that he wants to swap this same year 225 in place of his cars original 170. He's called me before, and asked me if I knew of any 225s sitting.....
and I have a guy who wants the smallblock cable shift 727.... at prices that mean that I break even on that adapter plate....
and I have a couple of LOKAR kickdown cable kits for Mopar too...
so, minus a little wiring and a couple of vac switches (which are "universal" parts) I now have all I'm gonna need to put the A500 in my truck.

so do I...
retain the original 727 which shifts beautifully (only need to find and fix the fluid leak, I believe it's the shift shaft seal) OR
do I swap to the 833 OD and make it a stick; OR
do I put this A500, behind my freshly overhauled /6......
Help me figure out which way to go....
(even if your motivation is that you're looking for whatever I will have left over for your project, haha)
If this was your truck which way would you go????

If I go A500 the trans I have WILL be completely overhauled before I put it in)
I just put a fresh converter in the 727 with the new engine because of ring gear tooth issues.... a couple hours run time but 0 miles on that converter.....
I have a brand new clutch kit and I had the flywheel freshly machined that goes with "that" combo....
and I have a fresh newly reman converter "in the box" for the A500.......
and I have a correct "floor shift" (stick) column that's right for mid 80s truck.
as well as a brand new (aftermarket stock replacement) master cylinder and slave for the clutch pedal on 87 and newer trucks....
so I can go any which direction I settle on....

Like I said I'm confused.... not sure which way to go. but when I first drug it home before I had it running I thought I knew exactly which way to go with it...... before all these other parts "found me"........ believe me I wasnt looking for them (except for that adapter plate// and at that, only once the A500 fell into my lap)

Well, first, congrats on getting the barn find running, always satisfying doing stuff like that. But I still say stuff the a833 in it! Over xmas holidays I finally got the utilne freshly painted box back for my 56 pu sitting on a 81 Dodge s/b frame, I put a a833 cast iron case non od in it with hydraulic clutch, it will be on the road this spring for the first time in over 35 years and I am going to drive the hell out of it, there is absolutely nothing as fun as rowing thru the gears in a old Dodge truck! Just my 2 cents.

A lot would depend on how you were going to use the truck.
Best fuel milage would probably be with the 833OD. But without getting a "special" clutch, total load or towing load would be limited.
A-500 for moderate loading and highway usage. The A-500 can be "beefed up" and the converter up graded for better towing ability, especially in hilly terrain.
727 for heavy loading and local driving.
Another thing to consider is your/my age. How is your left leg for working a clutch?
I have a 84 D-100 with a slant and A-833OD, 3.91 rear gear. When I tow, I need to slip the clutch quite a bit if starting on a grade.
Trailer load about 4500 lbs, and about 700lbs in the bed.

Last edited:
Left leg is so far alright, except for the "compensating" I've done because I've torn up my right knee and ankle over the years.... Knee at 22, ankle at 40. Both times I was driving stick shift vehicles at the relative times, and Dr's orders were that I could drive "if I had something with an automatic trans and I was screwed.... For years all I drove was stick.... And never minded it. I have everything I need to go either way (if I go a500 I'll have to do something about a driveshaft) but I'm not worried about that.
edit... just re read post a couple days after I posted, and when I read what I wrote, if it was from "somebody else" I could get the idea the writer (me in this case) got hurt while driving.... That wasnt the case wither time I was hurt.... first one was at work, the 2nd one was a chainsaw kickback in my own front yard... I was taking out a stump, that one almost caused me to become "stumpy"

Last edited:
Probably no help but, sometimes I regret pulling the /6 w/3on-the-tree from my 64. Has 440/727 now. I did save everything! I found a 85ish D150? short bed with 318/4-speed. No haggling. I said yes on the spot and worked a deal but, owner backed out when I agreed to his price.

Last edited:
I had seen this truck sit and not move for a few years, never seen any signs of life around the house where it had sat.
One day while I was going to the Napa store 2 blocks away I seen a young girl and an older woman (mom? Aunt? Neighbor? I have no clue) in the yard and so I went by and asked the girl if she had any idea about the truck and if it was maybe for sale. Of course she had no idea.
The next summer I saw they had put a for sale sign in it. So I went up to the door and before I could knock an old guy came to the door and asked if I could be helped. I asked about the truck and we went out to look at it together.
I had guessed all this time " probably has a 318" and was surprised when he opened the hood to see the /6. It was missing the manifolds,
But the carb and several other parts were on the floor on the pass side in the cab. Along with new manifold studs and other assorted goodies. But no manifolds. The guy admitted to occasionally scrapping for beer money, and thought be had cashed in the manifolds.
His son came by and said "no dad they're in here". He dug them out of the garage from behind a garden tractor. We made a deal for me to buy it, and a week or so later I got my son (he's the one who had the car trailer) and we went and got it.
The front cat had disintegrated and it's guts then in turn clogged the rear cat.
They had taken the manifolds off because they blew the gasket between the intake and exhaust. And the firewall was black with soot to prove the leak.
The bad part was that they had drilled the exhaust manifold because the stud closest to the head had busted off and they drilled the bottom of the exhaust manifold so they could nut and bolt it instead of putting another stud in it...
I went to the junkyard and got another exhaust manifold ( price for both manifolds was steep so I had to separate them) I bolted it up to the intake that came with the truck ( older model from a pre EGR /6) and put it back on, and got fire but wouldn't stay running. I re-unbolted the exhaust pipe and it stayed running.
The wiring was the worst nightmare id ever seen under the hood though I'm surprised it hasn't done a "Christine" impersonation and burnt to a crisp to this point. I went to (a different) junkyard and got a whole wiring harness from an 84 and put that on there.
At the time my son also had a /6 truck, that was an 80 step side, with the 833 OD.
I went looking for a super 6 stack for his (wound up with 2 of them, one had the rest of a basket case '74 motor that the seller said I had to take to get the stack.... So only since I had most of another engine I decided to build it up ( lemonade out of a lemon).
I thought for a minute of doing a small block conversion, but I had what I had, and didn't have a lot of what I'd need to swap in a small block (radiator, exhaust, mounts etc) but I had this other /6.... Hmmm. Stay with the/6 and for the extra money I won't be spending in V8 conversion parts let's see what I can do with a /6.... After all id been hanging out on the /6 site for years anyway and got a few ideas there.....

When I got it I was both surprised and really happy to see an actual 727 behind the/6... And not the normal 904. Before I had these two piles of parts find me, I was really happy it had a 727.
Everyone and their brother tried to tell me to dump the 727 and downgrade to a 904. I've done the opposite many times over the years but no way I was gonna go backwards.

Then I had a buddy of mine from the other site move. Hed redone an 83 D150 that was his dad's truck from new. ( Charlie knows who, he's the one who had the flow bench in his home garage and also a 68 /6 barracuda) and offered me the 833 OD parts for a song. Then I had a friend of my co worker who saw my daily driver 96 Dakota in the parking lot at work and asked if I needed any parts as his dad had one that was rustier than mine and "just wanted it gone". So I rented a u haul dolly and drug the Dakota home. I stripped it and sent it across the scale 3 days later. That's where the A-500 came from. And now I got this older /6 and 727 for its adapter plate and flex plate spacer so I can do the A-500 now as well ...
Back in the day when id do a project these are the kinda of parts I'd hunt and search for, drive all over the countryside and stop anywhere there were more than a 1/2 dozen cars sitting in the yard and search til I was blue in the face and sometimes still come up empty. But somehow strangely over the past year and 1/2 this stuff has found me without even looking. (But I can't win the lottery, I've tried)
I still have my volare, and whichever trans doesn't get transplanted in this truck will find a home there.
30 years ago I put a short tail F body 833OD in a truck, I'm wondering about putting the long tail version in the f body.... I know it'll bolt in but my main issue would be shifter position....
If I don't wind up with the 4 speed in the truck first.

well, I was there anyway for trans parts for the wife's Durango// so I bought a rebuild kit for the a500 too, while I was there.... still doesn't mean that's what I've decided to do on this truck.... I also bought a new clutch kit for the stick option, a new hydraulic clutch actuation setup and the firewall bracket that the clutch master bolts to....back when that setup fell into my lap. still not sure which way to go with this.

Back