• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

What size lug nuts did the 3/4 tons have in the 70's? Been a very long time since having one.....

Cranky1

Banned Old Stinky Fart
Reaction score
Reason I axed is because I found 32 brand new factory style (but aftermarket) chrome lug nuts that are 1/2x20 and have had them for so long that I don't remember why they are even here anymore. Anyways my last 3/4 ton from way back was a 79 but also had a 79 1 ton with chrome spoke 'wagon' wheels but pretty sure it didn't have 1/2 lugs.

My 83 3/4 ton had 1/2" lug nuts. My 78 1 ton had (I forget which) either 9/16 or 5/8" but it was a duallie.

My 83 3/4 ton had 1/2" lug nuts. My 78 1 ton had (I forget which) either 9/16 or 5/8" but it was a duallie.
I stuck the lug nuts on my pretty decent looking 96 Dakota....got rid of those lame ones with the stainless steel caps on them. They were getting pretty beat up.

Your 96 Dakota has 1/2" lugs? Yes why would they not be. I think the 1 ton has 5/8" lugs if not larger it has the heavy duty axles. Every things else has been different than normal on it.

Your 96 Dakota has 1/2" lugs? Yes why would they not be. I think the 1 ton has 5/8" lugs if not larger it has the heavy duty axles. Every things else has been different than normal on it.
My original question in post #1....."Reason I axed is because I found '32' brand new factory style (but aftermarket) chrome lug nuts that are 1/2x20 and have had them for so long that I don't remember why they are even here anymore. Anyways my last 3/4 ton from way back was a 79 but also had a 79 1 ton with chrome spoke 'wagon' wheels but pretty sure it didn't have 1/2" lugs."

32 lug nuts is what's needed for a truck with 8 lugs on it....and right, a 1 ton wouldn't have 1/2" on it. My old 1 ton was a single wheel truck and even my present 97 3/4 ton doesn't have 1/2" lugs. Main question was if any 3/4 tons trucks had 1/2" lugs and Don answered yes. So, I figure these new lug nuts were acquired when I had my 79 3/4 ton....which I don't have anymore so the new nuts that's been sitting around for 30 years went on the Dakota....which there was no question about. And since the post is in the Dodge trucks section.....well, you know :)

I have a whole tool box drawer of different lug nuts for B body wheels. Can't through them away because if I do there would be no way to mount wheels that have been out of production for over 30 years.

There were different levels of "1/2 ton" "3/4 ton" and *1 ton". My current 1985, 1/2 ton, has a 4800 gvw, I've had 1/2 tonners that were rated around 6000 gvw.
All dodges, never had anything but.
My newest is a 1/2 ton, a 12 1500 and it says 6600 on the door sticker, max Still a 1/2 ton.

I've had a couple of 3/4 ton trucks. My 78 was a 9000 gvw /my 83 was 7500.
I remember having an 83 factory service manual, my 83 250 was the middle of the 3 possible "250's" they sold that year, the lightest was below 7000 gvw, still 8 with semi floating axles, basically a 1/2 ton rear end with 8 lug flanges.these still had 9&1/4 rear ends with C clips. Not the dana 60 or 70 the heavier 3/4 ton trucks had.
They all had different rear spring packages as well.
Mine had the full floating axles, as did the heaviest version which that year was something like 8500 gvw. So it's entirely possible to have different sized lugs on different 200s/250s.
My 78 d300 which was a dually, had a 10000 gvw.
Most current 3/4 ton trucks I see are 10000 now.
At work I'm stuck working on Ford's, my son's newest truck is a 17 2500 and it's a 10000 lb gvw.
That's why some "1/2 ton" trucks can carry more weight than some "3/4 ton" trucks.

Many of not most that drive pickups don't realize that.

Last edited:
I know that feeling the 06 F250 shown 14500 max w trailer and the 83 D350 is 15800 max with trailer. Sure have to look at the right numbers depending upon even what you want them to do. One set sure doesn't cut it any more, depending what state your in you don't want to be over those number regardless what your pulling or what your plate says. Other states it's a travel trailer we don't care what it weights is until your in a accident. Then you better have checked your insurance policy to see what it says.
With my old D350 Ram there were three different frame, axle and spring packages. If you don't know which you have it sure makes getting parts a pain.

Even among 06 f250s I'm sure you will find different numbers depending on engine trans, GVW of your particular truck, etc.
On the 83 D250 it would also depend on GVW package, whether automatic or stick, and whether it has a /6 in it or a 318 or a 360 and even whether California emissions (or not) or hi altitude (or not)
Not every D250 can do a gross combined weight of 14k lbs.....

Even among 06 f250s I'm sure you will find different numbers depending on engine trans, GVW of your particular truck, etc.
On the 83 D250 it would also depend on GVW package, whether automatic or stick, and whether it has a /6 in it or a 318 or a 360 and even whether California emissions (or not) or hi altitude (or not)
Not every D250 can do a gross combined weight of 14k lbs.....
My 79 D300 single wheel was rated just barely under 10k....but it had no problem carrying 5k in the bed lol

The D350 rides like a luxury cruiser with 5200 lbs on the bed. I normally don't load it over 4500 lbs. Have not had any more on it than that i know of. Just a few hundred lbs under 18K really taxes the 360 gas and you better have good trailer brakes.

During the 70's I believe the question was on the 3/4 ton dodge trucks lug nut size was. Two sizes depending on the GVW and axle used. 8 3/4 used the smaller 1/2" and the Dana 60 (safely axles) used the larger nuts. The one tons B300 (vans) and trucks all had the Dana 60's. I had both in Vans. I believe all the 4.5" bolt pattern cars used the 1/2" nuts, while the early "A" bodies 4" bolt pattern used the 7/16" nuts. Note: My 72 one ton Van also used left and right nuts. I think that was the last year for that, then they were all right thread.

Back