• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

What Headers

Aussie Challenger

Reaction score
I posted this elsewhere and should have posted here.
What headers will fit my '79 Little Red Express, I already have a set of TTI for my Challenger but they are stored elsewhere. I don't really want to fit shorties, thank-you for any and all replies.

Yeah I have checked Summit, they have shorties last time I looked but I was hoping for some quality headers like the TTI's but they don't list anything except for cars. I cannot see why not that the E Bodies won't fit but as mine are in storage elsewhere it is a little hard to check, but the ones I have are for my Challenger, just depends which vehicle I get to start on first, both are drivers.

I made a set of large tube Hooker Super Comps for an E body on my 73 Shorty I moved the prop valve to the outside of the frame after I took a piece of 3/8" thick 6" channel & welded it to the frame & trimmed the lip on the bottom of the frame I relocated 1 tube this was for the drivers side the pass side went right in without any modification tucked the headers up tight under the framerails so I could lower it The TTI 1 3/4" tube headers look exactly as the Hookers that I used

Hedman makes a step header for a 2WD truck 72-93 that fits well go to their website & get the part # & order from Jegs or summit Put a RamCharger gas tank on it & make some really nice duals

trying to find headers myself

I have spent the past 2 days looking for headers I checked bpe http://www.bpeusa.com/BPEheaderManifolds.asp
as you can see the #is bpe5905 so i dropped the bpe and did a search of 5905 and got got hooker headers
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-5905hkr/overview/make/dodge

I would much rather have a better set but do not have the money. got a big block in mine so you may need the small block I do not know what the 4x4 differs from the rwd version. shorty's would have been perfect put no luck there. I bet i can make 4x4 version work though. found some d300 headers that will work headman 79220 . no hedder wrap this time though.

2013-06-18_19-14-46_943.jpg

Last edited:
I have spent the past 2 days looking for headers I checked bpe http://www.bpeusa.com/BPEheaderManifolds.asp
as you can see the #is bpe5905 so i dropped the bpe and did a search of 5905 and got got hooker headers
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-5905hkr/overview/make/dodge

I would much rather have a better set but do not have the money. got a big block in mine so you may need the small block I do not know what the 4x4 differs from the rwd version. shorty's would have been perfect put no luck there. I bet i can make 4x4 version work though. found some d300 headers that will work headman 79220 . no hedder wrap this time though.

That pic shows exactly what exhaust wrap is good for...

That looks terminal mopar350, I haven't heard anything good about using wraps on road vehicles, it does keep the heat out of the engine bay and acts as a noise suppressor but from day one the pipes start to rust badly and the moisture makes the pipes more brittle.
Due to the exhaust layout of the LRE's it looks like I will have to go with shorties, my TTi's for the Challenger exit way to far back to use the rest of the LRE's exhaust system.
Thanks for the replies they always help, if not me in this case maybe somebody else.

Do your self a favor and find headers for your truck and don't try and fit headers that were meant for something else . The long tube headers can work on your lil red with the stacks but forget about reusing any of the original exhaust from your stacks forward . You will need a very skilled exhaust guy to make the S pipe to bend the pipe from the collector to go under your frame and back weather you run a muffler under the truck or in the stack . If you want an easier install with more of a factory look then ( If you can find them ) run shorty's . But if your trying to squeeze as much power as you can out of your lil red then go with the long tubes . The shorty's will flow better then the stock exhaust manifolds but for power and torque the long tubes are better . Hope this helps .
That looks terminal mopar350, I haven't heard anything good about using wraps on road vehicles, it does keep the heat out of the engine bay and acts as a noise suppressor but from day one the pipes start to rust badly and the moisture makes the pipes more brittle.
Due to the exhaust layout of the LRE's it looks like I will have to go with shorties, my TTi's for the Challenger exit way to far back to use the rest of the LRE's exhaust system.
Thanks for the replies they always help, if not me in this case maybe somebody else.

Do your self a favor and find headers for your truck and don't try and fit headers that were meant for something else . The long tube headers can work on your lil red with the stacks but forget about reusing any of the original exhaust from your stacks forward . You will need a very skilled exhaust guy to make the S pipe to bend the pipe from the collector to go under your frame and back weather you run a muffler under the truck or in the stack . If you want an easier install with more of a factory look then ( If you can find them ) run shorty's . But if your trying to squeeze as much power as you can out of your lil red then go with the long tubes . The shorty's will flow better then the stock exhaust manifolds but for power and torque the long tubes are better . Hope this helps .
Thanks bear, I am not looking to squease the last drop of power just make a strong cruiser. I have decided to use the shorties, there are some stainless steel ones here in Australia, as you said they are better than original.
I do have a good exhaust man but my experience with tight "S" bends is that they tend to burn out sooner rather than later so my TTi's will go on the Challenger.

Any time "Aussie Challenger" . I think you'll be happier with the shorty's . Even after we swapped out the 360 for the 440 in the lil red we had there was so many times I had wished we had just gone with shorty;s instead of the long tube . It's just that , back then I was into getting every once of power out of my toy's . I gotta admit though , It was fun dusting a lot of the local "so called" fast cars with a truck . lol

Any time "Aussie Challenger" . I think you'll be happier with the shorty's . Even after we swapped out the 360 for the 440 in the lil red we had there was so many times I had wished we had just gone with shorty;s instead of the long tube . It's just that , back then I was into getting every once of power out of my toy's . I gotta admit though , It was fun dusting a lot of the local "so called" fast cars with a truck . lol
Back in the day I was always looking at wringing the most out of my motors, now I still try to get the best but am happy knowing that it strong, quick & reliable.
We here in Australia have a fraud Muscle Car that is revered but the LRE is .2 seconds quicker down the 1/4 and of course the LRE is a truck not a purpose built race car.
MOPAR really does rule in the performance stakes.

The shortys are definitly my preference on a driver if your not looking for every .01 possible

Back