• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

What engine

bfrnk

Reaction score
About to purchase a new pickup. Last time was 2008 and wondering about these new engines. Will need N engine that can pull a 28’ travel trailer. What out these 2.7 turbo engine or the 4.3 ecotec V6 on GMC trucks? Are they better or just as good as 5.3 engines?

You didn't say how FAR you wanted to pull that 28' trailer.

A couple hundred YARDS, or a couple hundred thousand miles? From the engines you mentioned, I'd guess you don't want to go very far.

Pull it all over the USA. I just wanted to know the info on these engines. Are they better or as good as regular engines such as 5.3 or 6.0 motors. Are they reliable. Or they worth it?

I'd be looking at V8 if I was towing. The Ecoboost has a higher tow rating than my 98 Ram 2500 with a 5.9l in it, but I'm still a V8 believer.

If like the V6 turbo Ram. Get the 5.3 as fuel mileage on the 6 will go to pots as some as you hook to the trailer. So might as well have the eight.

The thing about turbo engines that you have to consider is;
what if the thing pukes while pulling a load up the side of a mountain.
Don't get me wrong; I'm all for a having a turbo-charged engine. I'm just not real good at going downhill backwards, and especially wouldn't be, with a 28' trailer.
If yur going thru the mountains, a turbo is a good thing; a lil one, on a bigger engine; for power compensation with increasing elevation. But the base size should be able to, IMO, to hold it's own without the turbo. A diesel is probably the way to go, and the turbo would be a plus.

The thing about turbo engines that you have to consider is;
what if the thing pukes while pulling a load up the side of a mountain.
Don't get me wrong; I'm all for a having a turbo-charged engine. I'm just not real good at going downhill backwards, and especially wouldn't be, with a 28' trailer.
If yur going thru the mountains, a turbo is a good thing; a lil one, on a bigger engine; for power compensation with increasing elevation. But the base size should be able to, IMO, to hold it's own without the turbo. A diesel is probably the way to go, and the turbo would be a plus.
That's some sound reasoning on the turbo. But still kind of hard to go from the turbo mix to asperated fuel mix on the fly.

Get the cummins with plenty of truck, so as to never get thrown around by the trailer. I’ve seen to many towing more load or faster then what should be ,only to lay them over . Buy more truck then you think you need ,when you arrive at your destination you will be more relaxed also.

Get the cummins with plenty of truck, so as to never get thrown around by the trailer. I’ve seen to many towing more load or faster then what should be ,only to lay them over . Buy more truck then you think you need ,when you arrive at your destination you will be more relaxed also.
I rented a Ram diesel to get a car, expensive but worth it to not notice I was hauling the car.

Ok, it is obvious you never looked at the new trucks. The Ram 1500 rides better than any car. Lexus, BMW, Cadillac I would pick the Ram 1500 with air suspension before any of those cars for comfort.
I do not know of any SUV other than a big powerful SUV to tow a 26' to 28'.
Go look at, with an open mind, a Ford F-150 2.7 litre eco-boost. With the 10 speed transmission it will get 25 or 26 mpg highway. Plus it can tow 6,000lbs. which will be a 26'.
For another option, the Ram 1500 Laramie from motor trader with a 3.6 litre engine and air suspension (if available on the 3.6 litre engine). This truck could tow 5,000lbs comfortably I think. This is only my thoughts so...

Oh you flat landers. With small trucks and engines. I pull a 33' with an F250 with a 5.4. We bought the truck before the trailer. If we had of had the trailer first I would have found something with a larger engine than the 320 hp 5.4. Yes it goes ok if your not in a hurry. But the trailer is home and I am in no hurry.

You know what I was thinking?
Wait I gotta set this up a little bit;
I have never owned a pick-up, and with my personal vehicles, I have never towed anything more than a utility trailer. But three times a week I haul garbage to the landfill, at a usual scale-weight of about 12,000 pounds; with a 5.2LS/ 4-speed auto.
So I was thinking; and this is all ....Just My Opinion;
Some of us remember;
1) how sluggish a 225 (3.7liters) is in a 3200 pound car. And those run about 25 pounds per horsepower
2) how eager 340 Dusters were at about 10/11 pounds per horsepower
3) how Grandpa's 74 318 Swinger shook not the World, at about 17/18 pounds per horsepower
* All numbers calculated from Crank hp

So I was thinking what a good power target might be for a tow-rig. It wouldn't need to be like a Duster, but dangit, those Smoggerteen Swingers were not exciting . So Ima thinking somewhere in the 12 to 15 pounds per hp, might be worth considering.
By the same reasoning, the engine size (gas engine) might be no more than 10/11 cubes per pound.
So that brings us to something like 10,000/11= 900cubes and 900 hp
So that takes care of acceleration.
Next is cruising;
your engine, to move 10,000 pounds down the hiway at 70 mph, might take 100hp, which at 70 mph maths to about 8/9mpg, so 100hp might be in the ballpark. Here's the thing, geared right;
>the slanty might do it, but it's gonna be at WOT,
> the Teener might be at 50/55%.
> the 360/5.9 might be down around I'm guessing, say 35/40%

So it should be sorta obvious that;
1) any of these engines can pull the load.
2) The difficult parts will be getting up to speed, passing, and climbing.
3) none of these will make 900hp in this application
4) there ain't no 900 cuber in the Mopar line-up

Which leads to the conclusions that the engine you chose, should be;
1) for reserve power; as big as possible
2) for economy; as small as possible
3) and that leads to super charging.

So then, again, the supercharged (which includes turbo-charging) engine would seem to best fit the needs.
absolute power, for this application is sorta meaningless.
so what I would want is ;
>a big enough hi-torque engine that can cruise at least mostly, in NA mode but
> that has a great kick for accelerating, passing, and climbing. And
>one that won't blow up when I pour the coals to her.
>I'd stay away from tiny engines, super/turbo charged or not. And,
>KISS; Keep it Simple. No Variable Valve-timing/Direct Injection/ wizardry/ etc. These things are nice to have, but when they quit, any money I saved in fuel useage will usually be more than used up by the repairs. And
> if an interference engine, I would make sure it has a robust cam-drive system. None of these multi-serpentine air-cooled belt systems. And
>before I sign, I want a brake test to see if the dang thing can stop! And
>finally; the spark plugs better be one piece, and actually come out when I want to change them.
Ok so there is my drivel....
Now having said all that; My company GMC with the normally aspirated 5.2LS, 4-speed auto, does pretty good on all counts, until it gets to third gear, at too low an rpm say below 2400. But to be fair, it doesn't have towing gears in it either, being geared about 65= 2400rpm in LU. And even worse is the company I work for, installed four super tall 8-ply tires on it, that rub as they get to full-lock

Last edited:
You forgot all about torque figures. Without it all that HP is useless. With enough torque you could pull planets together slowly with a 1 HP engine.

(Horsepower x 5250)/rpm = Torque

The power/torque numbers were, for the most part, omitted, because, it was just a thought exercise, to exactly prove your point. I'm glad you got it.

You will NEVER, and i mean not NEVER have enough truck or power plant. If fuel consumption is an issue , you are in the wrong game.

Back