• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

What are these

dukeboy_318

Reaction score
So I picked up a very straight, rust free tailgate for my 78 w200 yesterday at a yard full of these trucks. Only useable tailgate though. Anyway, what are these 4 indents? Every tailgate I looked at yesterday had these, and I looked at over 40 of them. So I’m guessing they’re factory but not sure what they’d be for

IMG_2445.jpeg

Any evidence of spot welding in the indent? It’s been a long time since I’ve had one of those, but my first thought is it may be for a passenger side link tailgate link bracket, or maybe where access holes were punched and plugs installed for one of the Adventure tail panels. But… knowing what I know from my friend who has done business with one of the retired factory engineers from that era, it could be something as mundane as a stamping mold repair. Next time I come across one that’s rusted away to nothing, I’ll investigate it.

Possibly provisions for a backup plate for a swingout tire carrier such as this.........
1698086172042.png

Back