• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Upgrading steering on a 72 W200

LocuMob

Fluid Technician
Reaction score
I'm going to swap out my Dana 44 front axle for a Dana 60 in my 72 W200 and want to also swap out my non tilt steering column with a tilt column from an 89 Sno Commander. It's got my axles and I figured the steering could also be swapped out too. I have heard that the 72 has the gear box inside the frame rail and the 89 has it outside, or vise-versa. Anyone know if this will work fairly easily? I can take all the parts off the Snow Commander that I'll need so that won't be a problem. I'm thinking that I'll take off everything from both trucks and put the new stuff on. The axle will already be set up for the 89 style since it will be coming from that truck. Just want it to work without a ton of fun involved. Simple bolt in/on swap I can do with normal tools.

What about the sway bar? It's a frame mounted big ole bastard that I thought we'd mounted behind the axle but I can't remember and didn't take any pics, but it's a solid monster.

I am not sure about the steering box on the 72 but 74 and up was outside the frame.
Would think adapting the newer box to the old frame would be easier than the other way around. The box will set ahead of the axle with no linkage going threw the frame. Some knuckles maybe required to get the steering shaft connected.
Just remember the 89 column will have ignition, turn signals and lights in it.

89 has lights on the stalk? I think they're still in the dash. I can use what wires I need to swap over and cap the rest. I'll have to look at my 72, but I figure if I'm taking the axle, why not take everything associated with it and swap all that as well. I'll need different steering links at the axle so the Sno Commander will give me those. I hate having the truck in one spot (away from me) and the parts truck in another (also away from me). I need an old farm place. Hey, the step son has one...

Also what engine does it have or had in it? It may have been fuel injected and a roller cam engine. I can see lots of upgrades possible here.

Yes i did that on mine( 79 cab)and it make a nice upgrade with modern stuff like fuel injection power window, door lock.
So dash was swapped as well as :steering columnn heater box wiper harness an engine and fuel tank. With a few mods on the cowl for the heater box,and the steering column bracket your dash will fit without problems and look factory. Bonus with the 89 harness your steering column has a light/ wiper/cruise control stalk which is comfortable on long trip.The steering box on 72/89 is outside the frame and easy swappable. modern stuff on old truck.

carpet  bench seat.jpg

dashboard 001.JPG

new dash.jpg

Just my two cents , But I personally like the 72 dash better then the 89 and would keep it , no offence to Dodgefred . As far as the small block roller cam & injection ? Your going 440 with that truck , correct ? Quick question Mob , What box do you have in the 72 now ? Does the pitman arm shaft come off the bottom or off the side ?

Yes Bear you are right but have experienced a lot of trouble and gremlins with the early wiring... Just found that using the 89wiring harness was such an improvement Its like having a new harness no more insulation cracked or rotted melted wires and better connectors and bulkead.

Also what engine does it have or had in it? It may have been fuel injected and a roller cam engine. I can see lots of upgrades possible here.
Drivetrain is spoken for by my friend, he sold my axles to our friend, they were out of a truck laying around. I got these axles and said I'd take the steering gear if he wasn't using it.

Yes i did that on mine( 79 cab)and it make a nice upgrade with modern stuff like fuel injection power window, door lock.
So dash was swapped as well as :steering columnn heater box wiper harness an engine and fuel tank. With a few mods on the cowl for the heater box,and the steering column bracket your dash will fit without problems and look factory. Bonus with the 89 harness your steering column has a light/ wiper/cruise control stalk which is comfortable on long trip.The steering box on 72/89 is outside the frame and easy swappable. modern stuff on old truck.

View attachment 8257

View attachment 8258

View attachment 8259
All I'm interested in is the steering. I'm trying to keep my truck close to what was available around the time that a 72 was made. I have an AM/FM/CB radio for it ('73) spare dash ('73) bucket style bench seats ('73 and '76) and then the Lil Red treatment will be applied. The Snow Commander is a roach, totally rusted out, the cab is falling in on itself after my friends brother smashed it with a Bobcat. It had been exposed to the elements for many years with windows down so there not much left that's good.

Just my two cents , But I personally like the 72 dash better then the 89 and would keep it , no offence to Dodgefred . As far as the small block roller cam & injection ? Your going 440 with that truck , correct ? Quick question Mob , What box do you have in the 72 now ? Does the pitman arm shaft come off the bottom or off the side ?
Yes sir, 440 it will be. I don't know what box I have but it is different than the later box I plan on using. If the new box bolts up fine, I have no worries, everything else will be off the same truck from the steering wheel to the axle, so it should work out. I was just trying to make sure that there wasn't some major difference that would give me headaches along the way.

I like the older dashes too, if I had to go newer it would be a late 70's dash, with dual gauges on both outer flanks.

Honestly Mob , If your going to lift it and you have the earlier style box then your better off keeping that . Just my two cents .

There is 2 different model one with vertical pitman arm for the earlier dodge 72/78 and the second model is the same as the 2wheel drive. The steering arm is longer on the 4wheel drive model To me its the best one
if you run big tyre they wont rub against the suspension. Got this system on my w350 crew cab.
1st photo is from a75 w300
2nd is from a 81 ramcharger.
da 75 77 009.JPG
da 003.jpg

Honestly Mob , If your going to lift it and you have the earlier style box then your better off keeping that . Just my two cents .
I thought the arm on the 60 was different than the 44. I'll have to get the 89 chassis next to the 72 and compare. Too much stuff scattered about.

Done a tilt steering swap using everthing from an 88 4x2 and it works Did another swap on my 76 D200 despite the steering column bracket under the dash which is different. had to deal with the intemediate steering shaft which is shorter. I am really happy with such a modification.
tilt 01.jpg
tilt swap 02.jpg
tilt swap01.jpg
tilt swap 04.jpg

tilt swap.jpg

tilt swap03.jpg

Yanno Scott, I think I have a steering column from a 72 up in the rafters yet if yours is too beat up and that's why you're looking to swap.

Yanno Scott, I think I have a steering column from a 72 up in the rafters yet if yours is too beat up and that's why you're looking to swap.
Thanks Mike. Is it a tilt column? That's my motivation for the swap. Thought I needed a different steering box but I have the preferred one already. Then I think it's a good idea to swap columns but a couple issues lurk for me if I go that route, newer might need some modifying. It would be nice to have a tilt column for comfort and convince, but for how much it will get driven it probably doesn't matter.

I think that's why I saved it, but I'll have to look again to be sure. CRS syndrome..........

Back