• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trucks not used as trucks

LocuMob

Fluid Technician
Reaction score
I was asking a coworker who picked up a 2013 crew cab Silverado, what, if anything, he was going to do to it, jokingly saying, " when you going mudding with it?" He replied "never, why would I do anything to scratch my truck or get it dirty?" I laughed, cause I'll do the same to my W200 when it's done. It just made me wonder, how many people have a truck, and don't do any truck like things with it. Use it more like a station wagon, if you will. "I can have 5 people in there and put our picnic basket in the bed!" Truck sales are up, and the things go for the price of a small house near where I live, and they make them very car-like, but aren't they still trucks, that need to be used like trucks?

As I said before, I have one that will be a cool looking, very capable beast, but will only be for looks and not for function. I have a 98 that has scratches and sure isn't perfect, that I use to haul stuff with. It still has a straight axle up front and feels like a truck, something I rather like. I have cars to, to move me and people (ok, my dog) around in cheaper. When did trucks start being used more car like and less truck like by their drivers? Not that there's anything wrong with people doing whatever they want with their car/truck. I used a 91 Daytona as a truck all the time. I blew myself away with what I could fit in that, and never once did I have to make 2 trips for a load! No rant here, just a long comment/observation on a changing trend amongst drivers. I'm done, thanks for reading!

Me , All my trucks have a purpose . The Warlock is my go very fast and have fun truck . The Ramcharger is my working beast that earns me money during the winter months pushing snow around and is pretty much capable of going anywhere at anytime both on and off road . The Sport is my driver that also hauls what I need to haul and go's wherever I want to go no-matter what the road conditions even if there is no road .

Hey, you talkin' to me, MOB? :p Just bought one of them type trucks, got it to replace my 300 and I'm really enjoying it. Now just in case the wifey finds something that has to follow us home on a road trip I have a bit of cargo room, otherwise it's just an upgraded passenger car. For working trucks I have the D150 or W250 (83 & 93) so this is just a car for the most part.

Me , All my trucks have a purpose . The Warlock is my go very fast and have fun truck . The Ramcharger is my working beast that earns me money during the winter months pushing snow around and is pretty much capable of going anywhere at anytime both on and off road . The Sport is my driver that also hauls what I need to haul and go's wherever I want to go no-matter what the road conditions even if there is no road .
I truly can't wait to have my 72 on the road, once I get started should be a fairly straightforward build, hopefully no major hurdles. A lifted truck on 60's and 35-40" tires with a big block looking pretty, with comfortable seating, and it will be a tar baby. I don't give a sh*t! I'll have become what I used to loath. Why have it if you don't use it? Cause I got more!

I guess I am like my dad, hoarder, except I have vehicles instead of a basement full of garbage. Selling my 68 Charger R/T was what got me to make the rest of my fleet the priority and focus. Mostly one at a time, but I buy whatever for whatever when I see it cheap.

I have driven my trucks as daily drivers, but not so much anymore since getting a reliable beater car. Nothing wrong with that at all. I actually prefer a truck in the city, I see better and they usually see you too.

There's a couple of reasons why my Sport is my daily driver . #1 I'm more of a truck guy now . #2 I can haul pretty much anything I need to . If I need to say grab an engine or something I just throw it in the back . #3 Believe it or not , with all my back issues , I'm more comfortable in a full size truck then I am a car .

Hey, you talkin' to me, MOB? :p Just bought one of them type trucks, got it to replace my 300 and I'm really enjoying it. Now just in case the wifey finds something that has to follow us home on a road trip I have a bit of cargo room, otherwise it's just an upgraded passenger car. For working trucks I have the D150 or W250 (83 & 93) so this is just a car for the most part.
That's funny, I actually thought of you when I was typing away. Don't worry, I knew you had some workhorses in your stable.

Those trucks are nice tough, warm and cool your buns, soft leather, consoles and every doodad that a car has and power and a comfy ride to go with. But I think it's a little sad I can buy a Scat Pack Challenger for the same or less money than a truck equipped they way I'd want it. New Power Wagon for example, what does that cost? I'll never be able to afford to buy a new vehicle but still, these things are going to maintain a higher value for a while. I seriously never thought trucks would leap ahead in overall quality and comfort the way they have as fast as they have.

I truly can't wait to have my 72 on the road, once I get started should be a fairly straightforward build, hopefully no major hurdles. A lifted truck on 60's and 35-40" tires with a big block looking pretty, with comfortable seating, and it will be a tar baby. I don't give a sh*t! I'll have become what I used to loath. Why have it if you don't use it? Cause I got more!

I guess I am like my dad, hoarder, except I have vehicles instead of a basement full of garbage. Selling my 68 Charger R/T was what got me to make the rest of my fleet the priority and focus. Mostly one at a time, but I buy whatever for whatever when I see it cheap.

I have driven my trucks as daily drivers, but not so much anymore since getting a reliable beater car. Nothing wrong with that at all. I actually prefer a truck in the city, I see better and they usually see you too.
Lifted is the only way to go with a 4x4 . Just don't go putting 24" rims on it with about 2" of sidewall .

There's a couple of reasons why my Sport is my daily driver . #1 I'm more of a truck guy now . #2 I can haul pretty much anything I need to . If I need to say grab an engine or something I just throw it in the back . #3 Believe it or not , with all my back issues , I'm more comfortable in a full size truck then I am a car .
Back injuries suck. Bottom of my spine is too straight, Laura has a fused back. She can't ride in any of my Dodges.:(

Back injuries suck. Bottom of my spine is too straight, Laura has a fused back. She can't ride in any of my Dodges.:(
You can say that again ! I've got so much wrong with my back that there's to much to list . My daily pain scale ( as the hospital puts it ) , from one to ten is twelve to fifteen . I've had to just learn to live with it . Tell Laura I can totally understand what she go's thru . :(

It's not easy , I'll tell yah . But tell her that's she's not alone .
Yeah, we met a guy on vacation last year that had an even more fused back and other crap done to him. He walked kinda funny. Motorhead though. Had tonhelpnfix the diesel bus that one of the staff ran out of fuel. I was jealous indidnt have grease on my hands!

Sucks your 12-15 out of 10. Saying to he'll with it, I'm not letting stop me is sometimes the only way! How you plow snow with a bad back is beyond me. That's a rough gig.

Well, honestly, this truck is far more comfortable on long road trips than the 300, and it was only 10 years old. We're currently in the middle of the first real trip in this thing and I can tell you it's fantastic on the road. I'd far rather have this than a challenger, and spent some time reflecting on that before pulling the trigger.

It is sad what trucks have become. Land yachts, travel trailer pullers if you do not turn to short and dent the cab.
Would hardly consider them work vechicals Glad to hear someone likes them.

Yeah, we met a guy on vacation last year that had an even more fused back and other crap done to him. He walked kinda funny. Motorhead though. Had tonhelpnfix the diesel bus that one of the staff ran out of fuel. I was jealous indidnt have grease on my hands!
Yeah , I met a guy like that one time when I was feeling sorry for myself . He had fallen three stories on a construction site and had been thru all kinds of operations . He made me realize that there other people out there that's had it worse then me . I think of him every time I start thinking , why me ?

Sucks your 12-15 out of 10. Saying to he'll with it, I'm not letting stop me is sometimes the only way! How you plow snow with a bad back is beyond me. That's a rough gig.
I got to keep going and I got to do what I got to do . There's been times that I've had to have my wife come out and get my fat but out of the truck after a long stretch of being behind the wheel . Yeah it sucks , but like I said , I got to do what I got to do and I'm not going to let anything stop me . I'm just stubborn I guess . lol

My 72 will be very plush when finished, for 72 standards.
The other Warlock I did ( Big Red ) actually road darn good . Even with the lift and the big tires and such . You might be surprised , If you use the right parts on how well your 72 rides .

Back