• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Transplant from FABO

txstang84

Reaction score
Hey all--new to this forum, but have lurked once or twice from google searches. If any of you guys are members over at FABO, I have the same nick there. I'm here obviously to ask some questions and use the search function to figure out how to go about one of my projects.

Apart from my '84 Mustang GT (hence the nick) and my '72 Scamp, my Dad has an '84 Ramcharger that's been sitting in his driveway unregistered since about '98 I think...it's been used sparingly since then to move a few heavy things or to temp store fuel for generators when the nasty storms hit the gulf coast and they're socked in with rain.

Anyway, a couple years ago, I bought a '68 2bbl 383/727 on FABO classifieds and had it shipped to my last duty station in Abilene, TX. I disassembled the engine and had every intent to use it with a custom front end in my Scamp, but one day on the phone my Dad latched onto the concept of putting that 383 in his Ramcharger...I thought about it--sounded like a good idea so that's where it'll wind up. Shortly after that, I received an assignment to Hawaii, so all my stuff had to go into storage...so all my toys have been sitting for a little over 2 years now.

I have bought a few parts for the engine since then...mostly acquired on FABO classifieds to include an RPM intake, a set of stock small valve 915 heads, a set of hogged out 516 heads (wish I knew they were ported before I bought them), a set of 1.5 Isky rockers, some Hughes 1.6 rockers, an old Ultradyne solid cam, a set of old cast Edelbrock valve covers, and most recently a rotating assembly (used) with some diamond pistons. My block definitely will need bored, I only hope it cleans up at .030", otherwise, I just wasted money on that rotating ass'y. Anyway, I know it has a long way to go before it's dropped in the bay, so if any of you guys have dropped a B into a Ram, or know someone who has, any help you can offer is much appreciated.

Otherwise, I'm pretty quickly approaching retirement time from the AF...I've been in a smidge over 19 years now and my time here at Hawaii was truncated by nearly 2 years. When I first heard about it, I was a little pissed, but after some thought and talking to a few people at my last duty station (which I might be going back to anyway) it might actually benefit me in the long run...still kinda undefined at the moment.

Anyway, I'll be on here from time to time looking up some info, asking questions, maybe even shooting the breeze...I'll see ya in the threads.

Jeff

Unless the 383 has over 300000 on it or unseen internal damage the bore should be all right at 30 over. I have rebuilt them with over that and bores were still within std. spec.. Would think big block truck mounts from any late 70's would work and the transmission internals from the Ramcharger should fit into the big block 727 case you will have to use the tail shaft from the Ramcharger and the bb 727 valve body.

Welcome to the site! I'm on FABO as well with the same name. As said, mounts from an older truck will work and the internals will swap to a big block case.

Welcome to the site Jeff and thank you for your service . The big block swap is definitely doable in your Ramcharger . Just look at what I drive . lol Is it a 4x4 or a 2 wheel drive ?

Unless the 383 has over 300000 on it or unseen internal damage the bore should be all right at 30 over. I have rebuilt them with over that and bores were still within std. spec.. Would think big block truck mounts from any late 70's would work and the transmission internals from the Ramcharger should fit into the big block 727 case you will have to use the tail shaft from the Ramcharger and the bb 727 valve body.

I hope so--it has a petty good ridge on it, but I have seen worse. When the engine showed up at the freight terminal I was pretty surprised how damn dirty it was. It looked like someone had run it for about 30K miles with loose valve covers and oil pan.

I'll keep an eye out or just put a want ad in for the motor mounts...someone's bound to have a set kicking around.

Can I not just slap the whole BB727 in the Ramcharger?

I'll keep an eye out or just put a want ad in for the motor mounts...someone's bound to have a set kicking around.

Can I not just slap the whole BB727 in the Ramcharger?
I might have an extra set of mounts kicking around , I'll take a look when I get a chance if you want . I've built enough of them , I should . And yes , You should be able to just use the tranny you have . Your also going to need other stuff for the swap . Like the correct oil pan , brake booster , etc.

Not bad at all--I just recognize a couple names on here from FABO. If you do happen to have a set of those you're willing to part with, lemme know

I might have an extra set of mounts kicking around , I'll take a look when I get a chance if you want . I've built enough of them , I should . And yes , You should be able to just use the tranny you have . Your also going to need other stuff for the swap . Like the correct oil pan , brake booster , etc.

Oil pan, engine mounts, exhaust, maybe driveshaft if the tailshaft is the wrong length, but I wasn't aware of the brake booster. I take it the stock one is too big around?

Yah , The booster that should be in yours right now will be right against the valve cover . Your going to either swap to non power brakes or get the small booster . Here's the one I run . If you have any issues finding anything or have any question feel free to ask . IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3870.jpg

I'm on FABO as well with the same name. I have a 73 Dart Sport and am building a 440 for my 83 2WD Ramcharger. I hope to get that project moving so I can drive it this year. The motor is almost ready to go back together now. I just need the cam and lifters.
On a side note, I am looking for an oil dipstick and tube for the truck rear sump oil pan. Anyone have one?

Last edited:
Hey, what's up man? Yeah I read your thread on FABO--can't recall if I commented on it or not, but I seem to recall one of your first posts after it was running was along the lines of it being "scary fast." I probably won't have that Ramcharger project started for quite a while, let alone finished. I probably won't be able to touch the thing for at least another year and I want to get other things fixed on it before doing the engine swap. The axle needs to be rebuilt and I want to put in some shorter gears...probably a 3.73, it needs a suregrip/tracloc, the interior needs to be freshened, the wiper bushings need to be replaced, I'll need to upgrade other things...

As it sits right now, it could be driven with a fresh tank of gas, oil change, and a battery...that's the first goal.

Mine, too. I have a 318 with 73K on it in it now. I dressed it up - put an an aluminum intake and Moroso fabricated aluminum valve covers. It runs and drives just fine. I really want the speed. I bought a 440 last year and tore it down. I got the truck oil pan, the mounts, the big block 727 and truck headers. I have all the engine parts to go back together except the cam, and I am looking at Thumpr cams as we speak. The Dart is still scary fast. I've put on 21,000 miles since the 408 and 200R4 went in. It's almost time to refresh it. I want the Ramcharger running on the 440 before I do that.

I bought it from a guy in White Bear Lake. It was owned by his father in law before he died and was rarely driven. He said he was worried about driving it from it's home in North Branch to White Bear. I told the guy I live in North Branch. He says, oh, he lived just north of the outlet center. I tell him I live just north of the outlet center. It turns out the old guy lived less than a mile from me and I never saw the truck in the 18 years I've lived here. It's not as clean a body as it looks, but it's still in really good shape. If you have the screw in type dipstick tube, I would be ecstatic.

Screw in to the oil pan type dipstick? I wasn't able to get there today, I might go in about an hour. I know I had one that went into the side of the pan, had a 90° brass fitting, so I don't know how correct it was, but I'll look for you, if not tonight, tomorrow morning.

Back