• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Transmission whines in reverse.....

Cranky1

Banned Old Stinky Fart
Reaction score
I noticed a whine has developed when it goes into reverse. Can hear it some when it's in drive too but it's barely noticeable and only sometimes. It's quiet in park and neutral. Also, it hasn't been right for well over 10 years now. Not being right is that when it shifts under more than 1/3rd throttle, there's a lag during the shifts and was told that the front drum seal ring leaking by is most likely the cause of that. I've just been manually shifting it and it does fine. Shifts are normal under light throttle and shifts when it's supposed to. The fluid looks kinda crappy and has smells a bit burned but it's still red....just darker than fresh. Got to thinking when the last time it was serviced and that was about 10 years ago. Mileage is 98k. Would servicing this thing help or would I just be wasting my time and money?

Servicing it can't hurt, what year is it? Some dodges had a buzzing in reverse, buzz or more of a whine? The tv cable may need to be adjusted for the shifting

I'll check the cable when I service the trans. I know there's a TSB out on it for whine in reverse. The truck is a 95 and it just started the whine tho....

Btw, I found ATF+4 from Advance Auto on the internet for 4 bucks a quart. That's pretty cheap!

Just my two cents but I'd service it . The transmission fluid shouldn't have any smell and I bet at almost a 100 k , that filter is pretty bad by now . Now would be a good time to throw a drain plug in the pan as well . Saves a mess the next time you do a service .

I serviced it about 10 years ago. I've been retired for 9 years so the truck doesn't go much more than 3000 miles in a year anymore....if that much. Yeah, I bought fluid for it and put it up on ramps yesterday.....BIG ramps lol. Doing the yard work came first but plan on getting to the truck this weekend.

Got the pan off yesterday evening and it was full of sludge. Never seen one this bad before. Haven't pulled the filter off yet but I'm sure it's clogged pretty good. I'm surprised it was still working at all.

I hate to say it but I'm not surprised . That's why I had said that your filter was probably in pretty bad shape by now . Clean it out the best you can and you might want to think about another service sometime in the near future after the new fluid has had a chance to run threw and brake up what you can't get at . Just my two cents .

Been racking my brain trying to remember when the last time was I serviced this thing. There's nothing in my log book but I never really cared too much about this vehicle so it may not have been recorded. It's possible that it's never been changed but I did have some trouble with the trans many years ago and I'm kinda certain that I dropped the pan and adjusted the low reverse band when the pan was off. That was back around 2000 and well, oldtimers is taking over. One of the problems is that I've many Dakota pickups starting in 1990 with a new one. I got this one for free in 98 and never really liked it. Everything works on it but nothing really worked like it should plus I haven't been kind to it either lol.

Sorry I cannot offer anything useful here Cranky....but if it helps, my Toyota has a whine akin to a police siren when I decelerate at low speeds. (my kids always look around thinking the worst) And my van gets regularly serviced. Is the noise 'normal' within tolerance, or is it excessive to the point of being annoying?

Here's a shot of my van...."forward control" - engine under the seats. 3.0-litre diesel, auto + o/d and power front windows with central locking....means you can eat a pie while you're driving. :rolleyes:

DSC00069.JPG

Mine has never made any noticeable noises until recently so I figured I'd check the fluid to see what was going on. It's never been low and always looked good but don't really remember the least time I checked it. Even now it was full but it was a little darker red than normal and had a smell. Dropped the pan yesterday and it was pretty bad inside. Don't see any metal though. Years ago I pulled a radiator on a car and needed to move the car a couple of days later and forgot about the lines being disconnected. Man, I sound like dufus lol. Anyways, it pumped a good deal of fluid before I realized what was going on. My nephew is a mechanic and said he didn't like that idea but that's what I'm going to do.

Checked out your other thread 1st, I know old thread too
wrong order, needed to hear the background,
I thought it was a little newer Dakota, like a 1998-2000

was curious, just figured I recognized the names from FBBO
& would look to see

see ya', nothing to add really

sounds like it all worked out

I'll be doing a service on my 99 4x4 44re soon too,
good time for a freshen up 60K this year probably {has 57,700}
I like to run all synthetics now
{Red line 4c in this case, it was $6 a qt., but I have a crap load},
I don't put on many miles either anymore, 2-4k a year now {semi-retired}
cheap enough for the amount of years {vs miles....LOL}
I get out of it & I have it/the synthetic fluids already on my shelf...
Anything I should look out for, something not obvious,
it's not having any issues, it's just time I think...

see ya'
Budnicks

Anything I should look out for, something not obvious,
it's not having any issues, it's just time I think...

see ya'
Budnicks
Just the usual . Check the old filter and the bottom of the pan for anything metallic or gunk . Clean out good and on these years , while your under there . Check the harness plug on the side of the transmission . If they at all get corroded or oxidized , it could cause all kinds of shifting issues without any warning . Maybe even do what I do and clean both sides and use some dialectic grease in it .

Been a year already! Dang. The 'Yard Cart' is still acting well but I had intended on changing the fluid again by now. Oh well....

Back