• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trans Swap???

MoparsOnly

The snozberries taste like snozberries.
Reaction score
Ok,I need a little Info. I have a 90W150 I'm doing a total rebuild. When I dropped the trans. I noticed the cross member was basically wrecked. Looks like someone was driving along and a pipe popped up out of the street. The truck came with the 727OD trans I forget what the real model number Is. I'm changing It out for the 518. I know It's been done many times. The thing Is do I use the cross member from the donor or do I use the stock cross. I've been having problems locating a cross from an 92-82 4wd. Thanks and Have a Merry Christmas to all.

Donor one, modify the one you have or start from scratch and build one. The exist one uses the wrong mount, needs to be lowered and moved back in the frame. The 518 pad is about 3 inches farther back.

they had OD and lockup on those trannys from the get go. or at least most did. My son has a 518 in a 90 W250 that has OD but no lockup. there werent many built that way. if the trans is 95-older it is probably a "46 RH" if 96-newer probably a 46-47 RE. The "H" or "E" has to do with hydraulic controlled governor or electronic (computer) controlled governor within the trans, but in the rebuilders manuals all with a 727-style pan are generically referred to as "518's".

Yup I have the same trans as the one your son has. I want the lock up It's the 47rh. With the H version you can control both OD and Lock up with pressure switches. PATC makes a kit as well as, the directions right on the website.

Even though some 727 innards can be used in the 518 and later versions the case on the od units are different. The trans tail shaft to cross member attachment is not the same.

Have a question about rear diff's. What Is swappable with the gen 1 from gen 2 In terms of a disc brake upgrade.

Not quite sure about this one, but if they are both 9 1/4 diff's I would think the brakes will swap. I thought someone else here talked about doing this.

Back