• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trans. ID???

MoparsOnly

The snozberries taste like snozberries.
Reaction score
Hey Yall, Just got a 1990 w-150. I believe it's a late 89 since thats what the door reads. In the cab on the dash It has an OD on/off button. What makes me think early 500 trans. I'm just not sure. Any Help would be appreciated.

Another question. I was taking the rear lift blocks out and noticed a electrical connector that goes to a sensor on top of the rear diff. What the hell? ABS? Speed sensor? Never seen this. I'm used to the older models. 85 and down.

by the way sporty it's a 518 now I have to figure out If It's a RE or RH.

I have one here myself that I need to figure that out on. Have just not taken the time.

the speedo is electronic uses a pulse system at least that's what I got from PATC

Another question. I was taking the rear lift blocks out and noticed a electrical connector that goes to a sensor on top of the rear diff. What the hell? ABS? Speed sensor? Never seen this. I'm used to the older models. 85 and down.
Probably the RWAL feature. ABS for the rear only essentially.

the speedo is electronic uses a pulse system at least that's what I got from PATC
you mean as no cable? Even in 88 there was a pulse box between the gear and spedo cable for a computer signal.
I don't think the transmission I have even has a gear or the housing for one with it so that will not work anyway.

What is the cable for if not the speedometer? A quick check under the dash will determine what the speedo head is. The wire just sends a pulse to the computer so that it can read ground speed and tell the od when to kick in and out.
If not wrong the old 518 has a single wire to the valve body the controls od. The transmission I have has that singe wire.

I have no clue I wish someone would chime in to give us some clarity on this. This Trans Is a whole new thing for me. It being such an early model and everything.

I really don't know. Is that the mechanical KD your talking about or, Is It like the thing that GM had back in the day where you would push the button to shorten or lengthen the cable that went to the trans.

I really don't know. Is that the mechanical KD your talking about or, Is It like the thing that GM had back in the day where you would push the button to shorten or lengthen the cable that went to the trans.
Yes, that's the cable I am talking about. It's more than just kickdown though. The RE trans doesn't have the cable because it is electronic, it has a pressure switch and solenoid to do what the cable does.

Oooohhhh, I got It now. I'll have to look after this rain stops. I don't think It's working and If It Is It's not adjusted correctly. Thanks Sporty

Right your transmission is a rh by the year. should be A500/42rh with lock up and overdrive or early 518/46rh. check the pan must be a deeper one

42 RH OD.jpg

a500.jpg

From the link you shared before from I gathered It looks like A518 not the 500 Sporty. I also had a break in the weather this morning It Is a TBI system. It has a two cable system. I would say one for the pedal and the other for the TV?

Back