• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trailer resto

65 sporty

Reaction score
Okay it's not a truck but it going to be my winter project, it's a old tilt snowmobile trailer that is going to become a utility trailer for lawn movers, my kid's quad, dirt bike and what ever else we can think of. The skills we use on our trucks are the same as I will use on this. I need to repair some rust holes and remove/treat rust on the bottom.

What products have you guy's used Por-15, Rust bullet, Etc... I want to know from experience what has worked. I plan to paint it with a frame paint and the deck coated with spray on bed liner. It will get rewired/new lights, new wheels/tires, new trailer coupler, I plan building sides for it also.

untitled.png

IMG_20161124_100500.jpg

I use Chassis Saver on all my frames and floors . So far it last , resist chip's and doesn't seem to fade or dull .

So I finally started to do some work on this trailer, I started with the hubs and wheel bearings.
Blasted the hubs, cleaned and packed the bearings, painted the hubs, caps and lug bolts.

IMG_20190713_102621047.jpg

IMG_20190713_125902471_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190713_125907863.jpg

Finally some color
IMG_20190713_131111595.jpg
IMG_20190713_131115737.jpg

Here's the lipstick on my pig

IMG_20190713_153928167.jpg

Next will be patching some holes and filling in the taillight holes. I plan on moving them to the sides.

IMG_20190713_133127863_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190713_133133652_HDR.jpg

Not sure I would put a permeate sides on it. I have a 4x6 that has become a 4x9 and sides have been removed. Got tired off working 4 foot stuff onto it and the garden tractor would not fix without removing the wheel weights. All is fine now and can load from any side . I did add some tie downs down the sides to fasten things on with. I need to add some to the front and rear some time.

I just scored these off the local auction site for $17.50.
Hitch and chains.jpg

New 2" coupler and chains, paid less for both than what I would have paid for just a new coupler.

Might have to use the truck to haul some parts over to storage to make room for working on it. Take all the out door decorations as well, then I could walk around it. :screwy:

Weather has to warm up or projects will be put on hold. I have one that needs to be finished next week even if I have to heat a room to do it. The customer has been waiting for to long and I need the space freed up for other things.

Weather has to warm up or projects will be put on hold. I have one that needs to be finished next week even if I have to heat a room to do it. The customer has been waiting for to long and I need the space freed up for other things.
No wonder why I don't work on it, I'm the customer! I'll have to tell at the guy doing the work.

Yes amazing what one does for the other person and we just wait for a warmer day for ourselves.

So I finally got some time to do some work on the trailer, I installed the new 2" coupler and safety chains.

Here is the old junk cut off
old coupler.jpg

Cleaned up the tongue and prepared for installing a couple of bushings in the tongue.

tounge.jpg

tounge2.jpg

Made 2 holes on each side and the bushings go all the way through the tongue, tacked in place and ready to burn in.

tounge3.jpg

After the bushings were welded in place, I ground them down some to fit the coupler on. I bolted it and welded the rear of it.

coupler2.jpg

2 rosette welds on top and some zero rust paint to protect it until it gets painted.
coulper3.jpg

The chains go through the V and are bolted in place.

I got this from a friend of mine, he used on the tub of a Jeep he had. About half the kit left, it should be enough for the trailer deck.

raptor.jpg

Back