• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Time For A Rebuild

Just when I get motivated to do.a little work myself and save some money, and get ahead of the timeline, the weather comes and kicks my ass! I decided I should do all the tie rods and drag links in the front end, then it gets below zero and it snows. Gonna order up the parts anyhow, and have them ready for when it's a little warmer outside. @65 sporty said he'd come down and help install it in a weekend, I'll get whatever beer and coffee he drinks.
poke.gif

Just tell me a week ahead of time and I'll have everything ready! :rolleyes:

So I got the truck back after round one. Complete front end steering gear rebuild, (tie rods, drag link, steering gear), hubs, brakes, and one axle u-joint. Ball joints had been done just before I got the truck and were solid. Did the rear axle seals and brakes, except the drums. The money saved was used on the hubs. It got aligned and it was good to go, for now.

Then I came home and after playing with the camper, I worked on installing the fifth wheel hitch. I was going to drill through the big, heavy plate that was installed for a goose neck trailer. I was going to keep it, but I never used it, so off it came. I forgot I got a grinder, so happy day! I got that bad boy out, and minutes later I had a bare box again.

IMG_20190606_175229.jpg

All kinds of crap under the plate.

IMG_20190606_183644.jpg

All cleared out. Rock went out front where the dog relocated some of it.

IMG_20190606_204509.jpg

I raised the driveway a little after spreading this out. :joyful:

IMG_20190606_204517.jpg

Will have to check out the brackets that were used for the plate, I think I can reuse the front brackets as they are, I might have to move the rear brackets back a few inches. I'll find out tomorrow.

Didn't have to move anything, and after getting some more bolts, nuts and washers, I have a fifth wheel hitch installed in the truck.

IMG_20190607_162721.jpg

Need to tighten up some bolts in the morning, they're snug enough to make the trip to work and back. Then park it in front of the trailer and double check the trailer wiring is good. Then take it for a test drive and get a feel for how it tows. Might need to get some mirror extensions, or see if later years in my body style had the flip out ones.

Did you have to crawl under the truck to put nuts and bolts in place with that big hole in the floor? Not sure yet if I would want to pull a trailer with the hitch fastened to the bed floor only. That has never made since to me but everybody does it and few seen to have a problem with it.

Did you have to crawl under the truck to put nuts and bolts in place with that big hole in the floor? Not sure yet if I would want to pull a trailer with the hitch fastened to the bed floor only. That has never made since to me but everybody does it and few seen to have a problem with it.
There are brackets that bolt to the frame under the bed, and you bolt the rails right above the sills, so you use the flange to bolt through. Half of the bolts have the brackets.

Add those to my pile. :wacky:
I haven't gotten the other stuff out of the truck yet - how strange that both of us have fuel leakage issues keeping the primaries from making it to the show......... At least mine gave me a heads up far enuf in advance to plan accordingly......... :joyful::woot:

Now the truck is the most up to date on maintenance, but it's not done yet. I hope to fix the fuel issue this weekend.

There are brackets that bolt to the frame under the bed, and you bolt the rails right above the sills, so you use the flange to bolt through. Half of the bolts have the brackets.
Here's the instructions to better explain.

Screenshot_20190607-225616~2.png

Almost ready.

IMG_20190608_122121.jpg

Checked the wiring for the truck, bumper jack is working, but the lead for the jack in the front of the box isn't. Connections need a good cleaning, they are nice and dull. Two vehicles back on the road, feels much better than a week ago, when everything was going wrong. Two tires, and the Avenger will make it three! But it will probably be borrowed by the stepson, he's down two vehicles at the moment.

Ya I had to put a tire on the Ford also. Took a while to find a used one. New is out of the question right now.

Ya I had to put a tire on the Ford also. Took a while to find a used one. New is out of the question right now.
Laura was asking if the Avenger was ready for her son to use,
"When I can afford two new tires."
"Oh."

I'd love to help, but he's going to have to wait a bit. He's been driving his truck home each night, so at least he can get to work.

Plan is to have four vehicles that I can get in, and turn the key and be off. I have 4-5 months to accomplish that. Anything else is bonus.

Back